gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 09:41:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smart Girls  (Read 15933 times)
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 01:05:38 AM »

If man is still alive  Grin
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 01:36:24 AM »

Honestly, I'm glad it exists. It's such a jarring and terrible idea that it manages to transcend simple badness and rise up to a level of purely bizarre comedy. I especially love the loud and jarring samples.

Exactly. I regard this track and the whole Sweet Insanity project as a kind of Love You - 14 Years (ish) On. Eccentric, at times lacking in taste and at the same time rather touching and beautiful in places.

It might be fun to have a Jack Riely vs Landy Lyricists Smackdown thread   LOL. I mean, both came out with some world class psycho-burble in a lot of their lyrics.

There is no way that Rieley - who did a tremendous amount of good for the BB's both at the time of his management and for their subsequent legacy - is in any way comparable to the destructiveness of Landy.

Spot on. Rieley was contributing, not destroying. He did not physically ruin Brian in a way that was almost irreversible, nor did he worm his way into Brian's last will and testament for 50% (some say 70%).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 11:54:01 AM »

I enjoy the tune of it (not all the BB hits playing on there)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
doing
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 08:44:15 PM »

Big brains are AWESOME, DUDE!!!! Afro
MBE
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »

Honestly, I'm glad it exists. It's such a jarring and terrible idea that it manages to transcend simple badness and rise up to a level of purely bizarre comedy. I especially love the loud and jarring samples.

Exactly. I regard this track and the whole Sweet Insanity project as a kind of Love You - 14 Years (ish) On. Eccentric, at times lacking in taste and at the same time rather touching and beautiful in places.

It might be fun to have a Jack Riely vs Landy Lyricists Smackdown thread   LOL. I mean, both came out with some world class psycho-burble in a lot of their lyrics.

There is no way that Rieley - who did a tremendous amount of good for the BB's both at the time of his management and for their subsequent legacy - is in any way comparable to the destructiveness of Landy.

Spot on. Rieley was contributing, not destroying. He did not physically ruin Brian in a way that was almost irreversible, nor did he worm his way into Brian's last will and testament for 50% (some say 70%).
Indeed Rieley was able to get Brian interested in working on many occasions. Though he was a bit of a con artist, I do think he creatively at least was a force for good.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »

What's this "con artist" business? I genuinely don't know. If it's lying about his credentials to get into his position, so what? If you can lie about your credentials to get in but still get good results (he did) and still be honest with the people you're working with (he seemingly was), I don't see much of a problem with that. Just a few minutes ago, a friend told me he completely lied his ass off to get the job he's had for four years now. He does his job well, knows his sh*t, takes it seriously, is happy overall and is well-paid. Good for him.

Srsly though, what would the fate of stuff like "Surf's Up" or "'Til I Die" have been if not for Jack Rieley?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 11:56:04 PM »

Well read the Gaines book for info about Rieley. That book is not a place to learn about their music but if you want to know what went on business wise it's essential. Also Bruce has expressed many times that Jack was unethical. None of this has to do with the positive influence he had on their image, nor with his talent for lyric writing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 12:54:34 AM »

Well read the Gaines book for info about Rieley. That book is not a place to learn about their music but if you want to know what went on business wise it's essential. Also Bruce has expressed many times that Jack was unethical. None of this has to do with the positive influence he had on their image, nor with his talent for lyric writing.

I really can't form a sound judgment on this. I hear that he lied about his c.v.; likewise, that he suggested he suffered from cancer where he did not in reality.

These may well be the symptoms of compulsive lying, or pseudologia fantastica, which is much more of a psychiatric illness than an insidious and malicious way of sneaking into any coveted position, jobwise. The victims often would have gotten where they wanted to be without the lying anyway, because they're certainly not bereft of talent and fantasy - but some kind of inferiority complex forces them to beef up their credentials to the max. And that almost always leads to painful exposition of it all, afterwards.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »

Ah. Well, lying about having cancer is never cool.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2012, 01:35:32 AM »

Ah. Well, lying about having cancer is never cool.
Plus when he made this claim in the early eighties he sponged off of Dennis and used the story to get money from others.
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2012, 04:45:54 AM »

Smart Girls is no weirder than Country Feelings from the same period.
Isn't there a more demo like version, where instead of the BB samples Brian and crew are singing the BB parts.
Thinking about the BW rap efforts The TM Song with that gansta-like dialogue on the intro was a decade before similar efforts of Coolio.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2012, 05:18:41 AM »

Thinking about the BW rap efforts The TM Song with that gansta-like dialogue on the intro was a decade before similar efforts of Coolio.

Yep, I like that semidialogue-semiquarrel!

The way their voices trade off each other is almost like a melody. Plus it is bit of a throw back to the filler tracks from the 1960s

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »

Isn't there a more demo like version, where instead of the BB samples Brian and crew are singing the BB parts.

Hm. But I don't exactly think that Coolio, Snoop, 50 Cent, LL and their ilk decided to create rap with the TM Song in the back of their collective minds. I mean, one can stretch an analogy (or causal relationship over time) only so far...  Wink

MBE
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2012, 05:46:08 AM »

Games Two Can Play has a few lines that sound like rap.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2012, 05:51:13 AM »

In the world of Brian rapping, let's not forget about those silly lines in the middle of "Child of Winter", where apparently the Pied Piper makes a return for a minute to tell us about Mama making cookies and bread.
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2012, 05:51:53 AM »

Hm. But I don't exactly think that Coolio, Snoop, 50 Cent, LL and their ilk decided to create rap with the TM Song in the back of their collective minds. I mean, one can stretch an analogy (or causal relationship over time) only so far...  Wink

True, can't imagine those guys spending their pocket money on 15 Big Ones back in the day  Cool Guy

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2012, 05:52:20 AM »

Bruce also called Obama an asshole. Bruce is a twit, and I rate Rieley's contributions to the BB cannon higher than i do Bruce's. Can you imagine Holland with one of his schmaltzy puke-fests ruining the tone and flow?
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2012, 05:53:47 AM »

In the world of Brian rapping, let's not forget about those silly lines in the middle of "Child of Winter", where apparently the Pied Piper makes a return for a minute to tell us about Mama making cookies and bread.

Then there is Dennys' rap in Cabinessence

keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2012, 05:58:15 AM »

Incidentally, anyone able to make out what he's saying in that?
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2012, 06:07:22 AM »

Was never able to make it out for myself until someone linked me to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dje0M5b_9M
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2012, 06:13:05 AM »

Was never able to make it out for myself until someone linked me to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dje0M5b_9M

And my dream comes true. Thankee.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2012, 06:13:29 AM »

True, can't imagine those guys spending their pocket money on 15 Big Ones back in the day  Cool Guy

LOL that is exactly what I was driving at... bull's eye!

Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2012, 06:24:22 AM »

The TM Song dialogue is funny sh*t even if it isn't quite gangsta is there a longer version floating around ?

SBonilla
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2012, 06:56:52 AM »

I haven't listened to it in its entirety, but from what I've heard: maybe some good ideas, but the production may be even more ridiculous than the 88 album. I can't believe it's so bad.

Also, hating on "Ding Ding"? Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Nah, I love "Ding Dang". But I'm not sure it's a song.
You reminded me of when David Leaf came down to my office after a meeting with Don Zimmermann, then president of Capitol Records. He showed me a cassette of unreleased Beach Boys songs that he had given to him to evaluate for possible release. Next to We're Together Again, Don wrote, "This is not a song."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:04:09 AM by SBonilla » Logged
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2012, 10:06:47 AM »

You reminded me of when David Leaf came down to my office after a meeting with Don Zimmermann, then president of Capitol Records. He showed me a cassette of unreleased Beach Boys songs that he had given to him to evaluate for possible release. Next to We're Together Again, Don wrote, "This is not a song."
[/quote]

Really? Ha, that's great. I mean, in a way it's unfair, because you look at stuff contemporaries of the Beach Boys have put out on albums and the same description is true. Seriously, Beatles? "Wild Honey Pie"?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx