gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:03:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 12: Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT 05/12/12  (Read 25419 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »

Setlist/pics/reviews etc...

Sold out show, 10 thousand people

First set

Do it again
Catch a wave
Hawaii
Don't back down
Surfin safari
Surfer girl
Please let me wonder
You're so good to me
Wendy
Then I kissed her
Why do fools fall in love
When I grow up
Cottonfields
Marcella
Be true to your school
Disney girls
Don't worry baby
Little honda
Little douce coupe
Shut down
I get around

Add some music
California dreamin
Sloop john B.
Wouldn't it be nice
Forever
Sail on Sailor
Heroes and Villians
In My Room
All this is that
This Whole World
I just wasn't made for these times
God only knows
That's why God made the radio
California Girls
All summer long
Help me Rhonda
Rock and roll music
Do you wanna dance
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA

Encore:
Kokomo
Good Vibrations
Fun Fun Fun

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:31:21 PM by Slim Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:06:19 PM »

I wonder if that means the new Beach Boys slot will debut at the Sands Thursday?

By the way, is it me or does the band look like they're in wax there?  LOL
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:13:27 PM »

Incredible show so far! We're at intermission. I should have the set list posted soon. It's pretty similar to the other shows. Brian and Mike are in rare form.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »

Incredible show so far! We're at intermission. I should have the set list posted soon. It's pretty similar to the other shows. Brian and Mike are in rare form.

Fantastic, thanks!

myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 06:26:26 PM »

First set

Do it again
Catch a wave
Hawaii
Don't back down
Surfin safari
Surfer girl
Please let me wonder
You're so good to me
Wendy
Then I kissed her
When I grow up
Cottonfields
Marcella
Be true to your school
Disney girls
Don't worry baby
Little honda
Little douce coupe
Shut down
I get around
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »

First set

Do it again
Catch a wave
Hawaii
Don't back down
Surfin safari
Surfer girl
Please let me wonder
You're so good to me
Wendy
Then I kissed her
When I grow up
Cottonfields
Marcella
Be true to your school
Disney girls
Don't worry baby
Little honda
Little douce coupe
Shut down
I get around

Marcella!

Thanks man, added to OP

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »

Looks like The Little Girl I Once Knew got the axe for good Sad

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »

I wonder if that means the new Beach Boys slot will debut at the Sands Thursday?

By the way, is it me or does the band look like they're in wax there?  LOL

They seem to be having a great time. I wonder if Mike made any on-stage joke about Bruce's recent political affair.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 08:05:38 PM »

Show just ended, I'll have the second set list up in a bit.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »

Second set:

Add some music
California dreamin
Sloop john B.
Wouldn't it be nice
Forever
Sail on Sailor
Heroes and Villians
In My Room
All this is that
This Whole World
I just wasn't made for these times
God only knows
That's why God made the radio
California Girls
All summer long
Help me Rhonda
Rock and roll music
Do you wanna dance
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA

Encore:
Kokomo
Good Vibrations
Fun Fun Fun

Generally there were no surprises tonight as far as the set list went. I'll have more of my reactions later tonight.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »

My first official Beach Boys show. No complaints from me. Think  I'll get lawn seats for the PNC Bank Arts Center.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »

Show just ended, I'll have the second set list up in a bit.

Thanks!

Get any video?

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »

This was my first Beach Boys show of any sort.

Maybe a little ragged, vocally, for the first few songs. But they just knocked 'em out, one after another, until they got there. And it was still always great.

My highlight was Disney Girls. And TWGMTR.

Autotune? Didn't matter. Perfect.

Mmmmm Marcella.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »

My first BB show ever. I had the VIP upgrade which I'll post about in the VIP thread. Just about the show though- I was in the very last row in the entire arena (bought thru tucketmaster as SOON as they went on sale - how the flippin fudge do you buy decent tickets??? It's a mystery to me). Its a much more removed experience both visually and sonically as opposed to the ground floor (which i got to experience during the soundcheck access, which was the main benefit of the VIP upgrade along with a photo with the band). But having said that, it was an AWESOME show.  So freakin good!!!!!!!! EVERY single song sounded amazing except one: Kokomo!! Which I like, but it just sounded very flat, like the band isn't into it or something. And Carl's voice on that is sorely, sorely missed. Anyway, it was great. The band was so good (especially cowsill and Nelson Bragg).  And the harmonies were pitch perfect. ALL the beach boys sounded GREAT on their lead vocals including Brian!! This whole stupid debate about auto tune is absolutely ridiculous. Even if it is auto tuned no one except an audiophile would notice. 99.9% of the audience can't tell, including me. Was soooo glad they added Marcella and add some music. I was worried because they included add some music they'd drop this whole world, but alas, they kept it in!! WAY too many covers (even though I realize they were covers that they had recorded themselves). I can't believe Mike nor anyone else plugged the new album!!! It's mind boggling. Why wouldn't you take the opportunity to tell your audience about it?? I just don't get it. One last thought (for now at least) - as a fanatical fan, I was disappointed that the setlists were so "oldies" heavy and didn't have more deep cuts and basically have nothing post holland except the rock and roll music and California dreaming covers, but having seen and experienced the concert, i realize now that they actually hit the perfect mixture. The fact is that although they have a ton of hits that everyone knows, there's really only a fraction of the audience that knows anything outside those hits. Realizing that now, its actually very impressive and very cool that they really have gone out of their way to include a diverse setlist and appease their hard core fans. Anyway, I just wanted to share for what it's worth. Bottom line - I definitely have some minor complaints, but overall it was an absolutely outstanding show, and it exceeded my already high expectations. They really were nearly flawless performances. So good!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:03:30 PM by TimmyC » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »

I can't believe Mike nor anyone else plugged the new album!!! It's mind boggling. Why wouldn't you take the opportunity to tell your audience about it?? I just don't get it.

Well, it's not out for another three weeks. It would be strange to really pitch something that's not available yet. When it's out, I bet you'll have to listen to a five-minute routine from Mike!
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »

I can't believe Mike nor anyone else plugged the new album!!! It's mind boggling. Why wouldn't you take the opportunity to tell your audience about it?? I just don't get it.

Well, it's not out for another three weeks. It would be strange to really pitch something that's not available yet. When it's out, I bet you'll have to listen to a five-minute routine from Mike!

Couldn't he have just said something to the effect of "our new album, TWGMTR, is out June 5th! You can preorder now on amazon.com!" It's not the end of the world, but I bet a lot of people in that audience tonight don't know a new album is coming in a couple weeks, and theyre exactly the folks that you would want to tell, seems to me...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 09:11:57 PM »

Couldn't he have just said something to the effect of "our new album, TWGMTR, is out June 5th! You can preorder now on amazon.com!"

I bet most of the people in the audience don't know how to do that, let alone Mike.  Grin

However, yes, some mention would make sense. I know he's done it in past shows.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 09:25:23 PM »

He did mention it. Right before they played the song.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 09:28:05 PM »

Really? Guess I missed it. Sorry!
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 10:32:57 PM »

OK, just got back from the show. A few thoughts.

No I didn't get any video. This was a historic concert and getting tickets to it happened to be a birthday present from my father. Given those circumstances, I wasn't overly concerned about viewing any portion of the concert from the lens of my iPhone or anything like that. I remember about a year ago at one Mike and Bruce show, I nearly got my head taken off by one neanderthal security guard who didn't take kindly to me trying to record a few songs with my camera. I wasn't about to relive that experience. However, plenty of people in the audience did have their camera phones out, so I'm sure that some audience recordings will start to trickle out soon.

The band was in top form tonight. Mike and Brian sounded particularly amazing. I saw both of them at concerts last year, and I don't remember either of them sounding nearly as good as they did tonight. Al sounds spectacular, as he always does. David Marks took the lead on Hawaii and sounded good overall, although there were a few times I thought he sounded spotty. Bruce sounded okay, but out of all the original surviving Beach Boys, his voice is in the worst shape in my opinion. The backing band was incredible, like they always are, and I thought John Cowsill and Scott Totten blended nicely with Brian's band.

The set list was pretty much what I expected it to be, given what I've been reading on this board for the past few days. They did drop Come Go With Me from the first set, but other than that it was pretty much what they've been doing for the past couple of shows.

Brian's voice sounded AMAZING. He obviously has lost a lot of his range, but he still sounds like Brian. Tonight was the first night I actually heard bits of his old voice come through. It sounded sweet. I haven't heard sweetness coming from Brian's voice since the early 70s. But tonight it was there. But boy, did Brian look out of it when he wasn't singing. When he was actually given something to do on stage, he looked and sounded good. But during the long periods where he wasn't singing leads, he looked lost.

I loved the car suite at the end of the first set. Those are some of my favorite songs, and the crowd loved them! The band was at it's high points tonight singing those songs. Throughout most of the concert, the crowd seemed really into it. They were up on their feet, moving and dancing with the songs. The two exceptions were during Disney Girls and TWGMTR. The crowd seemed especially motionless during TWGMTR. I could only guess that a lot of people hadn't heard the song before. Mike did plug the new album, but not in an obvious way. He mentioned the song was off their new album by the same name, but didn't mention anything about a release date, so it wasn't like it was an obvious advertisement or something.

There was NO autotune, at least to my ears. I paid special attention to Brian's vocals just to see if I could spot anything weird going on, and honestly I didn't hear anything suspicious. There were three mega Jumbo-Trons in the arena that had live feeds of what was happening on stage, and I had a pretty good view of the stage anyway without them. I could see and hear everything that was going on perfectly. There was no delay between any of Brian's vocals and what was being broadcast on those screens, and honestly I didn't hear or see anything that might suggest pitch correction was being used. I asked my father, who has been going to concerts for nearly 50 years, if he had heard anything suspicious, and he told me no. He didn't think there was any live autotuning or pitch correction.

During the encore, the band didn't sound as good for some reason. Maybe they were just tired by that point, but Mike and Al clearly were distracted when they were preforming Kokomo and Fun Fun Fun. A little boy, maybe around 8 years old, went up in front of the stage during the encore and was motioning for Mike to sign an autograph for him, while the concert was still going on. Security didn't intervene, but the boy should of just waited until after the show. Right after Fun Fun Fun ended, Mike finally gave in and signed one of the beach balls that was being tossed around in the audience for him.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 10:37:43 PM »

Great show!! SO glad I went. I was in the upper tier. I think Marcella was earlier in the set, not after Cottonfields and Forever was not after WIBN but a few songs later. Couple of things:

1. Mike's vocals were ragged on the first few songs. Either they made an adjustment to the mix or he got stronger because by the car songs, and into the 2nd set he was the best I've heard him in my 20+ years of BB concerts.  It was the best version of R and R Music I've ever heard!

2. Brian seemed into it much of the concert , during the first set I think Wendy motioning toward the band and I was surprised to see him get into Sail on Sailor so much. It was great! He was in VERY good voice tonight. IJWMFT was fantastic and I think it was Al and/or Jeff echoing him at the end was just awesome! I can take or leave Marcella, it's just not one of my favorite songs  but the performance of it was good. I was also shocked to see how much Brian loved singing Cal. Dreaming. I never would have guessed it. He was awesome on his part and sang background vox the whole time.

3. Al was in SUCH great voice! Nailed Cottonfields and TIKH and Cal. Dreaming.  He needs another  lead vocal in there somewhere.  It was too much Jeff  and not enough Al on WIBN. No one phrases that song like Al! I like Jeff as a singer ( I know that's forbidden on this board  Roll Eyes but don't care for his take on WIBN so would have liked Al louder.

4. Bruce was raspy on Wendy but simply nailed Disney Girls!  Dave was awesome on guitar solos and lead on Hawaii. He also needs another lead vocal in there. I would like to see him on Wendy.

5. The Add some Music at the piano just freaking awesome. Pretty much Brian and Al taking most of the lead. So touching and a great moment. Wish they would have done another one like that. It was perfect for Graduation Day then! In My Room was phenomenal , best I've ever heard it live. All This Is That also exquisitely done. The tributes fit nicely.  I need to see another show on this tour!!!

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 11:12:52 PM »

Finally got home. Amazing show. As close to perfect as you could possibly expect. The car medley at the end of the first set was one of the strongest points. David Marks stood out to me, he's an absolute monster on guitar. Incredible leads and solos throughout the night.

I agree that Bruce's voice is probably the weakest of any of the Beach Boys at this point, but he certainly had strong points as well, especially the end of Disney Girls. Also, did he flub the first line in Wendy?

Mike's voice seems weak when he tries to hit a higher octave, but he sounds great on all the "hits."

Al sounds just as good as he did back in the 60s. It was awesome hearing him sing Cottonfields, Help Me Rhonda, Wouldn't It Be Nice, etc.

If there was autotune, it was minimal. Maybe on TWGMTR. Brian was hitting some high notes that I'm not quite sure if he can hit... and it wasn't just because Jeff was doubling him. I might have been imagining it, but Brian almost looked at Jeff annoyed when he doubled him at the end on TWGMTR on one of the verses. Like a "Hey, I can do that on my own, thanks" look.

Don't Worry Baby is my favorite Beach Boys song, but I really wish Jeff wasn't taking lead on that one. I'd much rather hear Brian, Al or Bruce do it.

The backing band sounded great, Mike was funny and a great front man and the crowd was really into it. Two funny moments were Mike telling everyone to buy merch during the intermission and Bruce telling everyone to come back for tomorrow's show. It was almost like they were reverting back to their pre-Brian tours. Hey guys, you don't need to do that anymore...

No Stamos, but I wouldn't have minded if he were there.

Edit: Had some great seats. I originally had balcony, but saw there was lower level available a few days ago with "possible obstruction," no complaints here:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:20:25 PM by startBBtoday » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 11:18:31 PM »

I agree, the car medley had a ton of juice! Not sure if Bruce messed up a line but  Mike flubbed a verse in Little Honda. I think that's the first time I've ever heard him do that. He laughed at himself and kept going. I thought he would make a self deprecating joke about it but he didn't.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »

I like most of the covers, but I think California Dreamin' needs to go before I see the show again in June. It feels a little out of place especially so close to the top of the 2nd set. I know it's another song Al gets to sing lead on, but there's plenty of songs he can sing lead on that they could add.

Is there any reason Al couldn't take Darlin'?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »

I hope they replace "California Dreamin" with either "California Saga" 'Honkin' Down The Highway" or "Lookin At Tomorrow"...problem is...those songs are rather obscure cuts.  Still though, it'd be great if they gave Al a more significant song to sing instead of that cover.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:31:54 PM by Justin » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx