gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 06:13:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Smile Session Film Footage - Western #3 - Wrecking Crew - IT EXISTS (here)  (Read 4260 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »

Thats what I was wondering before AGD got a bit snappy.

Listening to his set must be wearing him out!

It's almost obvious these clips were excised from something else, the question becomes what the heck was it? As much of a surprise as the many new finds on the box set have been, this relatively short piece of video (first seen as stills on that YouTube GV thing a few weeks back...) has been nothing short of an epiphany. It has literally pasted a permanent Smile on my face today, I'm not exaggerating.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 09:52:41 PM »

Nothing from Hal and co over the years also. Even if it was just one of Brians buddies filming you would think someone would have remembered in the last 40 plus years?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »

Nothing from Hal and co over the years also. Even if it was just one of Brians buddies filming you would think someone would have remembered in the last 40 plus years?

You mention an interesting point - Hal Blaine apparently took a ton of photographs on sessions he worked, there are even a few showing him with his camera. He was a shutterbug, to put it mildly, yet whenever something "official" comes out, including his own book, some of the shots are like stock photos you could order from a service for a fee. I still want to know where Hal's photos ever ended up? I hope they still exist somewhere, and am amazed more have not shown up.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 12:09:50 AM »

Pure gold!

Now available on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2AjYlVCxQY

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 01:18:19 AM »

Thats what I was wondering before AGD got a bit snappy.

Listening to his set must be wearing him out!

Listening to this release is a complete pleasure. Listening to people who can hear stuff that no-one else can - and oddly, it's always mistakes - and people who don't have the first idea of what's happening yet still make quasi-authoritative statements is what's wearing me out. Took the 2CD set to work yesterday to show it to them, and they were delighted (the students wanted the button !). Good thing they didn't hear it, eh ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 03:55:16 AM »

Dove-nested questions:

1. Anyone know the source of this footage? It looks fantastically good -- shot on at least 16mm, possibly even finer.

2a. Anyone know the source of its edited form? Is it what we used quaintly to call the EPK?
2b. Is the EPK (or whatever the edited source of this is) the thing that's being parcelled to YouTube one piece at a time as Webisodes?

And they're definitely singing GV in the vocal takes, right?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 06:43:03 AM »

More insider information eh?

I just hope the tapes were rolling when the camera's were. What a thing to have an audio-visual record of a classic era BB session.

Given that the vocal sessions footage is evidently silent, I'm guessing the track session stuff is too.

So can you cryptically tell me exactly when the SMiLE DVD is coming out, and what' on it?

Nope, 'cause I have no idea.  Grin

Yes, but if they know the session, they can synch the audio to the track from the multi-tracks, if they exist, hence I just hope the tapes were rolling when the camera's were.

Whatever happens, it's amazing footage I thought I'd never see.

2011 is a landmark year for BB fans.

As I mentioned in the other thread on this footage, I certainly hope we have hours of this footage. But the footage appears to have the look of sort of random, “b-roll”, behind the scenes type footage. The possibility that it may not have any audio would support the theory that it was meant as “background” footage for something else.

Even if there is a fair amount of this footage, the likelihood of it being continuous enough to sync audio (assuming the corresponding audio is available) in any meaningful way may be relatively slim. Even on projects where the aim is to edit the footage into a finished film, such film footage can be choppy. This stuff looks like professionally-shot footage (meaning it’s not some friend shooting 8mm footage), but given that it’s B&W and may well be shot on 16mm, it seems more likely it was meant as background or as part of something else. Maybe a news report on the band, or a Capitol promotional film, or a promotional film for one of their songs (think the “Time to Get Alone” studio footage eventually used for the “I Can Hear Music” promo film, or “Hey Bulldog” Beatles footage used for the “Lady Madonnna” promo film).

If corresponding audio exists for even the most choppy bits of this BB studio footage, I’d still love to see someone sync it up, though! I remember seeing some fan attempts to sync up very short spurts of “Lady Madonna” promo film footage up to “Hey Bulldog”, so anything is possible!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx