gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:16:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For the love of Mikie ( Beach Boys Songbooks)  (Read 10156 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »

A selection of Beach Boys Songbooks, showing covers, title pages and pictures, but not the music( which probably isn't all correct anyway), and sometimes the back covers if they're interesting/different from the fronts.  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:24:26 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:06:49 AM »

Nice work, bgas!

The Beach Boys Love You songbook

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 07:12:40 AM »

There's also a couple of 15 Big Ones songbooks that are nice.  And if you want to present the Tom Nolan '71 Rolling Stone article here, it's inside the Surf's Up/Sunflower song book (WB/Brother '72) and Beach Boys Complete from Amsco Music ('73).

My favorites are the four original Sea Of Tunes songbooks above - the rarest being the "Guitar Sounds of The Beach Boys" with Carl on the cover and showing chord fingering on his Rickenbacker!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:43:01 AM »

There's also a couple of 15 Big Ones songbooks that are nice.  And if you want to present the Tom Nolan '71 Rolling Stone article here, it's inside the Surf's Up/Sunflower song book (WB/Brother '72) and Beach Boys Complete from Amsco Music ('73).

My favorites are the four original Sea Of Tunes songbooks above - the rarest being the "Guitar Sounds of The Beach Boys" with Carl on the cover and showing chord fingering on his Rickenbacker!

Oh, there are others, of course! Like the Love You book posted above.( Glad MFP showed it, as I was wondering how to do it without flatterning the book/breaking the spine)
There are songbooks for Endless Summer, Spirit Of America, THe BBs Complete, The BBs Very Complete, a second UK Pet Sounds( Pet Sounds Plus), UK 20 Golden Greats; plenty of later books, probably triggered by the countless Capitol reissues. Seems like I've seen mention of songbooks for some of Brian's solo stuff, but haven't picked them up. I'm thinking GIOMH and BWPS, but not certain. 

I presume by two 15 Big Ones, you mean the actual 15 BO and The Beach Boys Complete Easy Guitar( which has the same cover, but more/almost completely different songs)

And as for the Nolan RS article, as I said, it's also in the UK Surf's Up songbook, and probably elsewhere! I have no plans to copy it here. 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 07:56:02 AM »

And as for the Nolan RS article, as I said, it's also in the UK Surf's Up songbook, and probably elsewhere! I have no plans to copy it here. 

Wha....huh?? You're not gonna scan it here? Why not? Maybe put it in the thread that Mr. Mayo just started. C'mon, Bgas, you have all the time in the world! Scan your entire collection up here!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:31:07 AM »

Wha....huh?? You're not gonna scan it here? Why not? Maybe put it in the thread that Mr. Mayo just started. C'mon, Bgas, you have all the time in the world! Scan your entire collection up here!

ahh, if only that were the case; my days are numbered.  we'll see what we have time for...

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:04:32 AM »

Paragraph 3 of the Love You write-up says the lyrics are, "To get to bed I went through the ringer..." I always thought it was, "To get you baby, went through the ringer..."

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 11:02:54 AM »

They are. Those lyrics [the ones the booklet suggests] make no sense with the song's theme or the lines coming immediately after.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 12:53:54 PM »

The Beach Boys Complete (including the Tom Nolan article)

If you want to read the article, just save the pictures and open them in your explorer.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:02:15 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »

Pet Sounds Plus (UK issue)

more to come tomorrow (a.o. Endless Summer and Spirit Of America)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »

Pet Sounds Plus (UK issue)

more to come tomorrow (a.o. Endless Summer and Spirit Of America)

Glad you have all this time on your hands that you can do all these!
wish my pics came out as nice as yours, too, but I do the best I can. 
Are you aware that there should have been more pages of music than just ALl Summer Long? My copy has 30 or 40 songs i think. 
Thanxx!

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »

Are you aware that there should have been more pages of music than just ALl Summer Long? My copy has 30 or 40 songs i think. 
Thanxx!

Yep, I know, and I have the complete books. But like you did I decided to just show the pictures, not the music pages (except maybe one or two)

And may I say that I think you've done a killer job so far !

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 03:11:45 PM »

Thanxx!

Yep, I know, and I have the complete books. But like you did I decided to just show the pictures, not the music pages (except maybe one or two)

And may I say that I think you've done a killer job so far !

Not as good as you! (Ask Mikie) I didn't get the Nolan up but you did...

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

Loving everyone's work here!

The Great Songs of The Beach Boys (inc. Wind Chimes!), Aust. 1985

The Beach Boys for guitar tab, Aust. 1995

15 Big Ones

The Concise Beach Boys, Aust. 1995

The First U.S. book, sans titles on the cover (track-listing is identical)

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 12:14:41 AM »

nice ones metal flake paint. I got that first one as well (with the Celebration pic on front)

Here's one more: the Sunflower / Surf’s Up songbook

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 04:16:53 AM »

Endless Summer songbook

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 06:07:07 AM »

GREAT STUFF ALL for sure! 
Good to know some of those books are Australian; I think I've seen some of them here and I wonder if I'm seeing US or Australian. Ah, collecting... 

Question:
Are you saying this "First US book" was printed in US or Australian or ?  (I've never seen a US one without the other titles)

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 06:31:39 AM »

Spirit Of America songbook

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 04:47:56 AM »

GREAT STUFF ALL for sure! 
Good to know some of those books are Australian; I think I've seen some of them here and I wonder if I'm seeing US or Australian. Ah, collecting... 

Question:
Are you saying this "First US book" was printed in US or Australian or ?  (I've never seen a US one without the other titles)

bgas, it was printed in the U.S., 1964.  Also, no "vocal album" title on the back cover. Must just be one of those anomolies, I guess.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 08:15:40 AM »

Not a BBs songbook, per se, but the cover includes a picture of a hitherto unkown US single sheet; one copy of the sheet is said to reside in the Arc Music files/none has ever been reported by any collector. ( All the other sheets pictured are known to exist)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:26:20 AM by bgas » Logged

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 03:17:54 AM »

Would've made a nice companion piece to The Wanderer sheet music, which is rare in itself.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx