gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
671802 Posts in 27039 Topics by 3969 Members - Latest Member: StevieB58 September 17, 2021, 10:23:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 [168] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 503039 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4175 on: September 10, 2021, 03:11:33 PM »

And -- if it is slightly tape-speed altered, and was Reggie's idea to do that, wouldn't it be hilarious?  One minute he's speeding up the tape to make Brian sound like a 10 year old, the next he wants the guys to sound as manly as possible.

Maybe it wasn't all Reggie's idea: All the discussion about these lower register voices at this time reminded me how there was talk at this same time about changing the band name to something more "manly", like "The Beach Men" or even "The Beach", and even going back to the Wild Honey era there were reports that Brian was upset with the band being referred to as choirboys, with their trademark high-register vocal sounds.

So it would make perfect sense, and fit into the timeline, if they deliberately went for lower vocal sounds like the ones we're discussing to change that perception and maybe score a hit with a lower sound. Source of the band name topic: The Carlin book, for one.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: September 14, 2021, 03:57:16 AM »

Are we allowed to know any details of it?

I think Alan described it in his ESQ interview a couple of weeks ago. He said it was pretty inconsequential, if that was what he was referring to.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: September 14, 2021, 04:17:23 PM »

There's a lot of stuff to discuss re: Feel Flows music and production. I've been humbly thinking of suggesting a new thread about it. Just a tiny example: the sound of the backing vocals excerpt of "Break Away". Are these slowed down?

More accurately, some of those vocals were recorded with the tape running fast, and so played back at "normal" speed they sound lower and slower.

Yes, I was oversimplifiying it. That was what I was thinking, the "Rain" technique.

Anyone has links to Desper discussing on this board the recording/mixing of the background vocals on Sunflower (eg. the This Whole World tag)? I don't know if it's compression or what, but they never sounded that thick, for lack of a better word.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: September 14, 2021, 09:21:17 PM »

Feel Flows Billboard. Pretty cool! 👏👏👏

https://youtu.be/1BK2ZTBPygA
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 [168] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx