gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
677814 Posts in 27367 Topics by 4046 Members - Latest Member: reecemorgan December 06, 2022, 10:46:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower Live  (Read 8447 times)
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »

What's with the lack of Sunflower songs being played live. "It's About Time," "Forever,"  and "Add Some Music" are really the only songs I've seen or heard live. Even from their early 70s shows the Sunflower songs seem curiously absent from concert recordings. I'd love to hear a live version of "All I Wanna Do" or even "At My Window" if they even exist.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:43:35 PM by slothrop » Logged
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 02:08:37 PM »

Bootlegs don't exist. In fact, I don't even know what the term 'bootleg' means. Isn't a type of Levi's jeans or something?
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:35:51 PM »

Never mind. Figured out whats going on. Changed the topic to Sunflower Live. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:44:49 PM by slothrop » Logged
picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »

"Cool Cool Water" was played live quite a bit in the seventies, and it was also performed on The David Frost show from which footage exists. "Tears In The Morning" was played in the seventies as well. "This Whole World" was played live by the band in the eighties. Those are the ones I know of.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »

I have a few pairs of old levi-boot-cut jeans which include live versions of Cool Cool Water, It's About Time, Forever, Tears In The Morning (solo Bruce on piano as well as full-band), Add Some Music (with a LONG intro by Mike), This Whole World (70s,)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Moderation in all things

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »

I'd pay to ensure Deirdre & Tears In The Morning don't ever again get played live.

Who watches the Watchmen?
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »

I'd pay to ensure Deirdre & Tears In The Morning don't ever again get played live.

I agree with you on Tears Wee Helper, but Deirdre has grown on me. Just so strange though that apparently there's recordings of Tears live but none of All I Wanna Do or Our Sweet Love that I know of.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 03:43:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure theres a live version of "All I Wanna Do" on Youtube. No footage, just the song. I'm obsessed with that song.

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 04:27:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure theres a live version of "All I Wanna Do" on Youtube. No footage, just the song. I'm obsessed with that song.

I know there's the recorded track from Sunflower on youtube for All I Wanna Do, but I can't find a live version. Maybe it got deleted? Either way, I understand your obsession. One of the top 10 BB songs ever, unbelievably beautiful.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 04:37:49 PM »

I guess it did because I could of sworn I had it saved to my favorites. Sad

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »

Yep, 'All I Wanna Do' is one of the greatest BB songs ever, such a great vocal from Mike, never heard it live though, that would be great.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
MBE
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »

They also did Slip On Through once on TV though I don't know the show. A boot exists.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:55:06 PM »

Chances are I'll be promptly proven wrong, but given its technical complexity, I don't think it was possible to perform "All I Wanna Do" live in the 70s. Now, they did do "All I Want To Do" frequently in the late 60s...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 11:14:40 PM »

Those are Bruce's best songs!!!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »

I know there's the recorded track from Sunflower on youtube for All I Wanna Do, but I can't find a live version. Maybe it got deleted? Either way, I understand your obsession. One of the top 10 BB songs ever, unbelievably beautiful.

Agree wholeheartedly. When I first heard it (via headphones) I thought that I might just end my music hobby right there and then. There would never be anything as delicate and musical ever again. Perhaps there wasn't.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 12:40:36 AM »

Why pay for something you can probably get for free?   Cheesy I think the likelihood of these being played live again are slim to none, at least by the directly-related BB bands out there.

Slightly off the topic of Sunflower live, but definitely on topic for not liking Tears In The Morning...I know that many people make a big deal about HCTN being an unwelcome interruption to the LA Light Album...I love HCTN, and think it fits in well even though it's different.  Tears, however, is like this large, horrible blemish right smack dab in the middle of an otherwise wonderful album.  I think that Sunflower would have been MUCH better off with one less track.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 01:35:15 AM »

Hmmm... -

I like TITM much better than 'Disney Girls'. The first one is a nice ballad, the second some sort of TV advert soundtrack.

Also: TITM is the better abbreviation.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 05:22:35 AM »

Chances are I'll be promptly proven wrong, but given its technical complexity, I don't think it was possible to perform "All I Wanna Do" live in the 70s.

True, but the Beach Boys never really had much of a problem with simplifying their songs for live performances, did they? They've done 'God Only Knows' and 'Good Vibrations' plenty of times without any backing musicians, for instance.
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 06:54:18 AM »

Well, isn't it always the case that our favorite tracks are rarely played live?  I think that's curse of being a hardcore fan.  Maybe someone could make a list of Sunflower tracks played live so that people know, or maybe what gigs have recordings from that era.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 08:02:51 AM »

How come they've never done Mount Vernon and Fairway live?  King Listening

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »

There WAS one rare live performance of "This Whole World" played sometime during the late 1980's.  There used to be a Youtube video of it as well but the man (being Youtube) shut it down. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 12:10:59 PM »

How come they've never done Mount Vernon and Fairway live?  King Listening

Y'know, that's a question that's kept me awake nights.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 12:14:14 PM »

Y'know, that's a question that's kept me awake nights.
Oh AGD,  I didn't know you were so passionate and romantic! Love
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

Yes, I do dig worms.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 12:26:49 PM »

Chances are I'll be promptly proven wrong, but given its technical complexity, I don't think it was possible to perform "All I Wanna Do" live in the 70s. Now, they did do "All I Want To Do" frequently in the late 60s...

Well, All I Want To Do was the better of the 2 songs, anyway...   Wink Wink Wink WinkLOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 01:04:50 PM »

They also did Slip On Through once on TV though I don't know the show. A boot exists.

Can't believe nobody has asked about this one yet!  Are you sure about this, as it's the first I've ever heard of them doing that song.  Also, I presume the boot is audio only, correct?  Any idea what TV show they played it on?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx