gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
670525 Posts in 26994 Topics by 3942 Members - Latest Member: Andyfonz August 05, 2021, 03:27:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unreleased Songs Masterlist: Material to expect from further archival releases  (Read 24182 times)
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2021, 02:02:33 PM »

In case we missed anything plus some of these titles have been released in recent times!  Head Spin
https://www.laweekly.com/brian-wilsons-secret-bedroom-tapes-a-track-by-track-description/
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2021, 09:00:08 PM »

Wishful thinking beyond "Feel Flows":

So Tough/Holland set, 15BO/Love You/Adult Child set, MIU to KTSA set, and finally whatever remains from '81 to BB85 era.   Cool Guy
jparis51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2021, 06:57:18 AM »

So Tough/Holland set, 15BO/Love You/Adult Child set, MIU to KTSA set, and finally whatever remains from '81 to BB85 era.   Cool Guy

Great list! And while this probably belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread, I'd cap it with "The Terry Melcher Productions."
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2021, 03:40:15 AM »

Great list! And while this probably belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread, I'd cap it with "The Terry Melcher Productions."

Consisting of, as well as early Bruce and Terry and Rip Chords, a two-album "Kokomo" sessions set, including painfully slow, meandering songwriting interludes with John Phillips, Scott McKenzie and ML.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2021, 09:28:13 PM »

Comments/questions in italics.

1980 - Keepin' the Summer Alive era

- "Can't Wait Too Long" (1980 remake): unbooted. Overdubs were attempted by the group - I thought this was for Captwin and Tennille

- Dennis Wilson and Christie McVie sessions: no luck - no luck as in erased or lost to time?

- "I Ran (All the Way Home)": unbooted - Is there any chance this is a cover of the song by the Impalas?

1984 - The Beach Boys (self-titled album) era

- "Down By the Pier", "And I Always Will", "At the Hop": covers, only "At the Hop" is booted, and it might be better off kept in the vault - I thought Al wrote And I Always Will, later re-recorded for Postcard, and that we didnít know who wrote Down by the Pier

- "Buzz, Buzz, Buzz": unbooted live cover - Technically it is somewhat booted because videos from 7/4/84 or 7/4/85 are on YouTube

- "Water Builds Up": unbooted. A song Brian later recorded on his own for the Sweet Insanity album - Interesting

1986 - Wilson Project era

- "Sweetie", "Rings", "Walking on Water", "Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel": booted piano demos by Brian - I thought at least one of these was from 1981 and that Brian added to an old demo tape

- "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" (alternate extended mix): not available for streaming, don't think the original version is either

- "Wouldn't That Be Cool": a Brian song attempted during sessions for Made in U.S.A. Apparently shares similarities with American Spring's "Do Ya" - maybe this had to do with the fight over R&RTTR?

- "Spirit of Rock and Roll": unbooted live version with the Boys - also interesting

- "Grace of My Heart": unbooted - Isnít this also one where weíre are unsure if it was recorded?

2012 - That's Why God Made the Radio era

- "I'd Go Anywhere": apparently unused part of Brian's suite from the end of the album, bits of it can be heard here since it was used in a behind the scenes EPK of the album with interviews played over it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1MWbi5jjh4 - How positive are we that this was Iíd Go anywhere and not another one of the 16+ unused/unfinished songs?

- "She Believes in Love Again": remake of the Bruce song from 85. See you in 2062 for these hot tracks!!

-"Waves of Love": if it was even worked on? Al offered it for the album. Who knows if the Beach Boys (outside of Carl and Al) ever touched it - Couldnít we say the same thing about SBILA?

-supposedly there were like 29 tracks overall recorded for this album. Whether or not any ended up on No Pier Pressure is another question though

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 09:30:46 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 07:12:51 AM »

All evidence indicates "Waves of Love" was never touched by the BBs during BB/TWGMTR sessions. I'd wager if they had worked on it and shelved it, Al would have used those BB elements on his subsequent mixes/releases of the song.

On the other hand, it sounds as though Bruce did steal away some time during actual TWGMTR sessions to work on a new version of "She Believes in Love Again", one that supposedly used elements of the original 84/85 recording (e.g. Bruce's vocal), and added a new vocal from Foskett on Carl's parts. How much work was done is unknown, but it sounds like recording work on this *was* actually done.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 08:43:01 AM »

1984 - The Beach Boys (self-titled album) era

- "Down By the Pier", "And I Always Will", "At the Hop": covers, only "At the Hop" is booted, and it might be better off kept in the vault - I thought Al wrote And I Always Will, later re-recorded for Postcard, and that we didnít know who wrote Down by the Pier

The scuttle has usually been that Carl co-wrote "Down by the Pier"; he was certainly writing stuff before, during, and after the '85 sessions with Robert White Johnson and probably others.

- "Buzz, Buzz, Buzz": unbooted live cover - Technically it is somewhat booted because videos from 7/4/84 or 7/4/85 are on YouTube

I think unreleased live recordings of songs otherwise unreleased by the band is a whole other rabbit hole. There are a ton. "Love Me Tender", "Come Softly To Me", "Bony Maronie", "Dancin' in the Streets", "Wishing You Were Here", "Oh, Pretty Woman", "Merry Minuet", just off the top of my head at the moment.

- "Spirit of Rock and Roll": unbooted live version with the Boys - also interesting

There would be sort of two versions of the "Beach Boys" version of this song, both very similar.

Brian and Gary Usher brought their studio recording of "Spirit" with them to the pre-show studio recording session for the 25th Anniversary show. Most everything for that show was pre-recorded, with then some live vocals for the actual show. Brian brought his studio recording of "Spirit" (essentially something identical or pretty close to the version/mix he just recently released on his website), and then Mike, Bruce, and Glen Campbell added additonal backing vocals during that pre-TV taping session (Carl and Al apparently staged a walkout in protest to Landy's shenanigans during the session). Then, for the actual live show, presumably some of the mics were live so we have that studio version plus whatever is live during that show. That "live" take would probably sound like a mess, but what hasn't been booted thus far is that studio session version with Mike, Bruce, and Glen adding additional backing vocals.

- "Grace of My Heart": unbooted - Isnít this also one where weíre are unsure if it was recorded?

I think it's fair to say it's pretty likely that some sort of demo for the song exists, even if there aren't any full/proper studio sessions with multiple band members on it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 04:06:33 PM »

HeyJude, thanks for responding to most of my questions. Do you think my theory about the 1981 recording of I Ran (All the Way Home) holds any water?
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 05:54:30 PM »

I think unreleased live recordings of songs otherwise unreleased by the band is a whole other rabbit hole. There are a ton. "Love Me Tender", "Come Softly To Me", "Bony Maronie", "Dancin' in the Streets", "Wishing You Were Here", "Oh, Pretty Woman", "Merry Minuet", just off the top of my head at the moment.

There are so many of these it's ridiculous. Was "Duke of Earl" ever done prior to the split of the band, or just in the Mike & Bruce years.

Add Runaway from the early 80s to that (one of my favourites) - even though it was on the Sunkist LP.

There was a list once put together in the old Aussie BB zine BBA covering this exact matter - I'll have to dig up when I get a chance.
SaltyMarshmallow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Today at 01:24:30 AM »

HeyJude, thanks for responding to most of my questions. Do you think my theory about the 1981 recording of I Ran (All the Way Home) holds any water?

I'd be surprised if it isn't a cover of the Impalas song. Recorded together with the original version of Sweetie at Rumbo, March 1981.

The demo tape with Brian playing Walking on Water, Sweetie, Rings and Don't Let Her Know is dated October 1986 by a voice on a collector cassette, although the songs are all known to have been written by 1985. It's possible that the date could be a year off. Sweetie is just a case of Brian revisiting an old song.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:30:40 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx