gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
668418 Posts in 26881 Topics by 3900 Members - Latest Member: imsetfree98 May 12, 2021, 02:47:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce: A Constant Thread through the California Myth  (Read 1027 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2021, 03:12:29 PM »

Looks like a good read

https://www.pollstar.com/article/joel-selvins-hollywood-eden-mines-the-highs-and-lows-of-socals-early-music-scene-147802
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 07:09:41 PM »

I lived in the Bay area for 20 years back in the 1970's and '80's and I used to read Joel Selvin reviews in the San Francisco Chronicle. Selvin used to give the Beach Boys some tough write-ups. He actually worked for the Beach Boys in 1976 in publicity but he had to keep up the San Francisco hipper than thou attitude when it came to the Beach Boys. Sounds like an interesting book though.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 09:41:41 PM »

I split my time between SoCal and S.F., and I read Selvin's columns and reviews for years.  I must agree with the comment above in that I found that Selvin had an irrationally negative view of the BBs.  I remember him absolutely trashing the Pet Sounds Sessions box set, basically calling it a ridiculously over-the-top treatment of an album.  Nonetheless, this sounds like an interesting tome, so I just put a hold on the book at my local library.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 10:11:03 PM »

Thanks for the hipping to this ... gonna buy it.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 11:06:34 PM »

Bruce is much more interesting than his latter day stage persona, his solo records, or his loyalty to Mike would suggest. I'd love to read his autobiography but he's said several times over the years that he's not going to write one.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 01:13:57 PM »

The author of this book, Joel Selvin, will be a guest on the Michael Shelley Show on WFMU, Saturday May 15th 11am to 1pm EST. Available to stream everywhere and also all the interviews are archived for later access. This is the same show Al Jardine was just on this past Saturday.

Link:

https://wfmu.org/playlists/SH

Give WFMU a listen, their Saturday morning and afternoon programming is fantastic.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 03:20:22 PM »

Bruce is much more interesting than his latter day stage persona, his solo records, or his loyalty to Mike would suggest. I'd love to read his autobiography but he's said several times over the years that he's not going to write one.
I preordered the Selvin book. I consider it a substitute to a Bruce book.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:22:35 PM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 05:35:38 PM »

It's a fun read... reads like a novel... interesting set of characters and stories... some we've heard or met before, some we haven't.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx