gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
677857 Posts in 27371 Topics by 4046 Members - Latest Member: reecemorgan December 09, 2022, 06:00:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opinions on LGBT rights  (Read 18128 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 12:56:54 AM »

Right now, I'm brewing up a hot mug of Who Gives a F**k? 

Anyone care to join me?

Yes please...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 01:27:07 AM »

Brian's Facebook had a gay pride thing the day the Supreme Court ruled gay marriage constitutional. Take that how you will.

By the way, I think this isn't a topic that should be on this part of the board.

Yup. More a sandbox thing. Not a topic I'm interested in anyway. I don't care if anyone is gay or collects butterflies or both. If two butterfly collectors want to get married, go ahead. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 03:00:29 AM »

When Sean O'Hagan of The High Llamas met up with The Beach Boys to discuss producing an album for them :

http://uncanny1.blogspot.co.uk/2005/05/brian-wilsonandy-paleysean-ohagan.html

Sharing whole article for context, but drawing particular attention to the following paragraph :

'Mike Love was less than hospitable. "He called me a blueboarder straight away, because I'm from England. 'You're all blueboarders,' he said. I was stunned. But it's weird - he's totally homophobic, but he struts about like a Seventies camp queen, doing his little breath mint wiggle. "Why all the gay moves, Mike?" ' *

*board has automatically changed words above to "blueboarder", the rest of the article's a fascinating insight into how BB-land worked at the time...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:03:54 AM by D409 » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 03:14:19 AM »

When Sean O'Hagan of The High Llamas met up with The Beach Boys to discuss producing an album for them :

Sharing whole article for context, but drawing particular attention to the following paragraph :

'Mike Love was less than hospitable. "He called me a blueboarder straight away, because I'm from England. 'You're all blueboarders,' he said. I was stunned. But it's weird - he's totally homophobic, but he struts about like a Seventies camp queen, doing his little breath mint wiggle. "Why all the gay moves, Mike?" ' *

*board has automatically changed words above to "blueboarder", the rest of the article's a fascinating insight into how BB-land worked at the time...

Oh boy. Nobody really comes out looking good in that story. Especially Mike. Is "blueboarder" really this board's euphemism/correction for f@gg0t? Where did that come from? Cant say Im surprised about Mike. Just one more reason to dislike him, I guess.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 04:49:12 AM »

I resemble that insinuation. I'm from England, and I'm definitely not a Blueboarder. I may consult my legal team on this appalling insult. Really...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 06:44:12 AM »

The German word for "bassoon" is "Fagott". Oh, wait, that's pretty irrelevant...

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2015, 07:51:21 AM »

Then what's the German word for an Englishman who smokes cigarettes ?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2015, 08:07:24 AM »

Banana Daiquiri

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2015, 08:16:52 AM »

Oh boy. Nobody really comes out looking good in that story. Especially Mike. Is "blueboarder" really this board's euphemism/correction for f@gg0t? Where did that come from? Cant say Im surprised about Mike. Just one more reason to dislike him, I guess.

Again, this seems like 20 year old recollections being used to bludgeon people in 2015. While these anecdotes are cringe-worthy now, I will, once again, say sentiments in the USA have changed dramatically in the last five years alone.

I pulled this from a Politifacts article:

"In 2007, all the presidential contenders except for longshot candidates -- both Democrats and GOP -- were against same-sex marriage, the New York Times reported. So were the majority of Americans, polls showed."

I really don't know what more can be gained from this thread. I applaud Brian for his outward show of support when gay marriage was approved. I can also understand why others would chose to not make public statements. For me personally, I didn't need a bunch of family members and old classmates berating me for my views. I feel like I have been able to help change more minds by having personal conversations than making chest-thumping statements on Facebook. But that's just me.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2015, 08:30:36 AM »

Again, this seems like 20 year old recollections being used to bludgeon people in 2015. While these anecdotes are cringe-worthy now, I will, once again, say sentiments in the USA have changed dramatically in the last five years alone.

I pulled this from a Politifacts article:

"In 2007, all the presidential contenders except for longshot candidates -- both Democrats and GOP -- were against same-sex marriage, the New York Times reported. So were the majority of Americans, polls showed."

I really don't know what more can be gained from this thread. I applaud Brian for his outward show of support when gay marriage was approved. I can also understand why others would chose to not make public statements. For me personally, I didn't need a bunch of family members and old classmates berating me for my views. I feel like I have been able to help change more minds by having personal conversations than making chest-thumping statements on Facebook. But that's just me.

Indeed. I personally feel Ive changed more minds just being openly out than making sanctimonious posts online too.

Im aware even Obama--who inexplicably some people credit with making Gay marriage happen--ran against it in 2008.

That being said, theres a difference between thinking Gay marriage is wrong, and calling someone you just met a f@ggot and saying all people from X country is a f@ggot. One is a product of the times, the other is just being a cantankerous old b@st@rd, regardless of time or place. I dont see how that can be excused, whether it happened 2 or 20 years ago. Im not wagging my finger at Mike for being anti-gay in this case so much as being undeniably rude and insulting.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »

Not a good idea.

You're not a moderator anymore, remember?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2015, 01:16:23 PM »

True. Us mere members shouldn't have the right to share our opinions!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:30:30 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2015, 01:52:08 PM »

Not a good idea.

You're not a moderator anymore, remember?

You know, I had just forgotten until you rushed in to remind me. What a relief!

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2015, 02:41:02 PM »

The Beachboys were of their era on this topic as we all were in our own particular formative years.   I would assume they have moved on and matured , evolved , to borrow a phrase from the politicians.  Most of us who grew up in the  50s and 60s were exposed to a lot of bigotry and intolerance, insensitive jokes about women, ethnic groups, and gays.  Hopefully most of us here have gotten beyond this along with the Beachboys.    still, a lot of folks , even some educated folks, seem to have trouble letting go of rigid gender role expectations.     but as has been said, probably enuf of this topic in this particular forum.   
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2015, 11:33:16 PM »

Wow-
I haven't visited Smiley Smile in a few days and came back to look at my post.

Jeez people? Isn't this what this website is for? Discussing and learning about the Beach Boys? It obviously has been mentioned in BBs books, so it's not an unreasonable question.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2015, 10:33:56 PM »

Well let's keep this thing going.  We've obviously run out of things to discuss.... Roll Eyes
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2015, 11:01:26 PM »

Banana Daiquiri

If that is the correct answer, I don't get the joke. Smiley Unfortunately, I don't even understand the question, which seems to be a joke too, but it seems I'm not deep enough into the English language. Embarrassed

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2015, 02:08:23 AM »

Banana Daiquiri

If that is the correct answer, I don't get the joke. Smiley Unfortunately, I don't even understand the question, which seems to be a joke too, but it seems I'm not deep enough into the English language. Embarrassed

The joke is that you pointed out that the German word for one random thing sounds like a totally different English word, so they were coming up with another, funny-sounding, random English word.
The question (which, yes, is also a joke) is based around Mike Love saying all English men are "f.ags", but that to an English person the word "f.ag" usually means a cigarette.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2015, 02:29:42 AM »

Honestly, anytime someone says "How do you say _______?" or some derivative of that, I just immediately think of this scene from Godfather 2. IDKY but its like a commercial, it just implants itself into my mind whenever the scenario comes up.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:58:18 AM by Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2015, 08:58:36 AM »

Banana Daiquiri

The joke is that you pointed out that the German word for one random thing sounds like a totally different English word, so they were coming up with another, funny-sounding, random English word.
The question (which, yes, is also a joke) is based around Mike Love saying all English men are "f.ags", but that to an English person the word "f.ag" usually means a cigarette.

Aaahh... thank you! I get the joke now, it's funny! Smiley I learn so much here.

Well, one German word for an adjustable wrench translates as "Englishman", while there's a kind of large cookie that translates as "American".

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »

Dang, I thought this was the one place I could go online and not be inundated by this ridiculous subject.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2015, 11:07:09 AM »

You mean LGBT rights or completely irrevelant German words? Grin

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2015, 11:34:32 AM »

Dang, I thought this was the one place I could go online and not be inundated by this ridiculous subject.

Hey nobody forced ya to click on the link ya nincompoop Ahhh! 

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »

wahhhh why cant i keep my head in the sand!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2015, 11:59:03 AM »

wahhhh why cant i keep my head in the sand!

So, if one tires from the overkill, one's head is in the sand?  Project much?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx