gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
678444 Posts in 27408 Topics by 4045 Members - Latest Member: reecemorgan February 09, 2023, 12:23:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 1980s photo of Brian Wilson on Made in the USA  (Read 4857 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:44:16 AM »

When I saw the Made in the USA comp for the first time in '86 on LP, I had to look several times at the picture of Brian Wilson. I couldn't believe how great he looked, it was the shot from the side where he's probably holding a bass. I had to ask myself, is this truly an '80s shot, or something from the mid-1960s. Anyone know the story behind that photo where and when it was shot. Even his expression looks like Pet Sounds era.
(I can't find the picture anywhere to post, unfortunately)
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:58:56 AM »

I've always wondered the same thing, and have wanted to start a thread about it in the past.  Anyone got any info on it?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:00:13 AM »

This one?

Has to be from either mid-1985 or some point in 1986 (Brian shaved off the beard at some point prior to July of 1985). I think it *may* be from the Washington DC gig on July 4th, 1985 (Brian didn't do Philly earlier in the day but played with them in DC), as I recall Brian playing that instrument (is that the strap-on keyboard?) and the show having a similar sort of lighting. But just a guess.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:01:08 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »

Yes, the above posted photo is the one. Thanks!

Edited to add: Here's the Washington concert, later in the video after Philly. No Brian close-up, but from what I can see, the photo could well be from that concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk1pRu40TmE
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:13:57 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:35:35 AM »

The up-to-date photos of the guys were all taken at the same concert.  It was discussed somewhere on this board I think but I can't remember where!

It is a strap-on keyboard and there was live footage of the show so it could be from that youtube clip.

Edit:  Al, Bruce, and Brian are wearing the same clothes in the evening concert as they were on the album back and inside sleeve but not Mike or Carl.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:39:49 AM by mikeddonn » Logged
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 10:49:36 AM »

It's Washington DC 1985.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 11:22:38 AM »

Edited to add: Here's the Washington concert, later in the video after Philly. No Brian close-up, but from what I can see, the photo could well be from that concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk1pRu40TmE

I would take a guess and say it's from the same gig.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 11:50:45 AM »

It's Washington DC 1985.

Also we can see one of the earlier instances (earliest?) of Stamos appearing with the group in that photo (in the back on drums).

Considering Mt. T also guested on drums that day, what if an alternate history had played out where it was Mr. T rather than John Stamos would go on to play tours with the band for decades, appear in the "Kokomo" video, make a TV movie about the band's history, and spearhead continued guest appearances of the Beach Boys on "The A Team."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:07:23 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 11:57:58 AM »

Wow.  I've never seen a picture of Brian playing key-tar before. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 12:05:20 PM »

I think it was actually someone from the future who traveled back in time to tell 1985 Brian that he had to play the key-tar just in case Al and Carl and Mike's shirts and the fake palm trees weren't 80's enough in retrospect.  3D

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »

Did anyone read my post earlier in the thread!  Grin
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 02:00:19 PM »

While we're at it, when was this picture of Dennis taken ?

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 02:49:45 PM »

While we're at it, when was this picture of Dennis taken ?

In that pic of Denny, his hairstyle is almost 100% identical to Dirk Diggler's hairstyle in Boogie Nights during "The Touch" recording sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAAbbuEpnw
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »

I think it was actually someone from the future who traveled back in time to tell 1985 Brian that he had to play the key-tar just in case Al and Carl and Mike's shirts and the fake palm trees weren't 80's enough in retrospect.  3D

LOL
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 02:54:06 PM »

Way off topic I know, but that CD is one of the best mastered CDs of Beach Boys hits there is, I think.  Sonically damn near perfect.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »

It's Washington DC 1985.

Also we can see one of the earlier instances (earliest?) of Stamos appearing with the group in that photo (in the back on drums).

Considering Mt. T also guested on drums that day, what if an alternate history had played out where it was Mr. T rather than John Stamos would go on to play tours with the band for decades, appear in the "Kokomo" video, make a TV movie about the band's history, and spearhead continued guest appearances of the Beach Boys on "The A Team."

Mr. TM Song?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 04:19:20 PM »

Way off topic I know, but that CD is one of the best mastered CDs of Beach Boys hits there is, I think.  Sonically damn near perfect.

A lot of the very early era CDs (pre-1990, prior to the band's full album catalog appearing on CD) are actually some of the best sounding BB CD's in terms of mastering. Some of them tended to be way less futzed with and thus end up sounding better (obviously this is all VERY subjective).

Some of the Japanese "Past Masters" series of BB albums on CD are also quite sought after.

I remember a few folks suggesting that the cheap, early CD issue of "Best of the Beach Boys" (the one with "Louie, Louie", etc.) also is very un-futzed-with. I want to use the term "flat transfers", but I don't know that they were literally flat transfers. And, I haven't listened to them in ages. Did have to eventually pick up "Made in USA" in the CD era to get "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" and, at the time, "California Dreamin'."

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 04:36:03 PM »

What I liked about Made In The U.S.A. was that "Caroline, No" didn't have the train tacked on the end and "Do It Again" didn't have the clock/workshop sound effects at the end. They were perfect for my homemade Greatest Hits comp; it freed up almost an extra minute of time/space! police

However, this was the first appearance of the "wrong" "Wouldn't It Be Nice". Angry
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:04:47 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 10:10:51 PM »

Brian was looking so great in 1985/86 it was easy to believe, if only momentarily, that that (bleep( (bleep) Landy had done Brian some good.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 11:26:25 PM »

Rock and Roll to the rescue seldom appears (at all?) on other albums ..............right?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »

Rock and Roll to the rescue seldom appears (at all?) on other albums ..............right?
Never. So hang onto your cd/lp/cassette of Made in USA.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2015, 04:47:19 PM »

One would think the band feels this track has the cooties or something.  Yet it's far and away top tier BBs material from this era.

I think that this track and Never Learn Not to Love must be the two most baffling omissions that the band has ignored for subsequent comps, etc (less baffling for NLTNT since it's got the Mason cooties, but I'm talking purely in terms of the quality of the music).
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 06:21:29 PM »

One would think the band feels this track has the cooties or something.  Yet it's far and away top tier BBs material from this era.

I think that this track and Never Learn Not to Love must be the two most baffling omissions that the band has ignored for subsequent comps, etc (less baffling for NLTNT since it's got the Mason cooties, but I'm talking purely in terms of the quality of the music).

Agreed.  I've always felt it should have been re-released after Kokomo (but before Still Cruisin').
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 07:33:35 PM »

NLNTL is just not a great song no matter how good the production or vocals may be. in my opinion anyway.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 07:34:57 PM »

NLNTL is just not a great song no matter how good the production or vocals may be. in my opinion anyway.

You're entitled to your opinion... even if it's wrong Wink
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx