gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
675282 Posts in 27259 Topics by 4020 Members - Latest Member: woowoomachine July 06, 2022, 10:26:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds Support  (Read 1543 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

I know there was some conflict with the record company when it came out.  there have been many stories about whether the guys supported it or not and the most I've heard and read was that Brian's brothers supported it and Mike had some issues with it. The interview that Dennis did with Pete Fornatale on YouTube talked about that and when Pete told him that he heard that the band was uptight about it, he laughed and said that they would be in the studio crying over the songs and whoever told him that was being humble.  Then on the Jon Stebbins documentary it has Dennis saying around that same year "The Beach Boys for instance were victimized.  Brian delivers Pet Sounds.  I said 'What is this sh*t?  Pet what? Where's the surfin music you idiot?'" So now I'm all confused  Huh

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »

Here is a really good thread on the topic: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16347.0.html

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:59:52 PM »

Here is a really good thread on the topic: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16347.0.html

o ok thanks  Grin

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:01:26 PM »

Well, a similar topic. Not exactly Pet Sounds, but it covers a lot of great points on the bands inner dynamic.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:21:10 PM »

Below
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:31:30 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:29:57 PM »

I know there was some conflict with the record company when it came out.  there have been many stories about whether the guys supported it or not and the most I've heard and read was that Brian's brothers supported it and Mike had some issues with it. The interview that Dennis did with Pete Fornatale on YouTube talked about that and when Pete told him that he heard that the band was uptight about it, he laughed and said that they would be in the studio crying over the songs and whoever told him that was being humble.  Then on the Jon Stebbins documentary it has Dennis saying around that same year "The Beach Boys for instance were victimized.  Brian delivers Pet Sounds.  I said 'What is this sh*t?  Pet what? Where's the surfin music you idiot?'" So now I'm all confused  Huh
I think you missed the point of that segment. Dennis wasn't saying he said that...he was saying that was the outward reaction, by the label and some of the public. The BB's were victimized because Brian delivered his masterpiece and there were actually record execs and other people saying WTF? "They said "what is this sh*t? Where's the surf music?" Meaning...Pet Sounds was too much of a departure for many people to handle. I can't imagine you getting the opposite impression when watching that, especially when it's framed by Gregg Jakobson saying how much Dennis supported and defended Brian's vision.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:32:49 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:40:01 PM »

I know there was some conflict with the record company when it came out.  there have been many stories about whether the guys supported it or not and the most I've heard and read was that Brian's brothers supported it and Mike had some issues with it. The interview that Dennis did with Pete Fornatale on YouTube talked about that and when Pete told him that he heard that the band was uptight about it, he laughed and said that they would be in the studio crying over the songs and whoever told him that was being humble.  Then on the Jon Stebbins documentary it has Dennis saying around that same year "The Beach Boys for instance were victimized.  Brian delivers Pet Sounds.  I said 'What is this sh*t?  Pet what? Where's the surfin music you idiot?'" So now I'm all confused  Huh
I think you missed the point of that segment. Dennis wasn't saying he said that...he was saying that was the outward reaction, by the label and some of the public. The BB's were victimized because Brian delivered his masterpiece and there were actually record execs and other people saying WTF? "They said "what is this sh*t? Where's the surf music?" Meaning...Pet Sounds was too much of a departure for many people to handle. I can't imagine you getting the opposite impression when watching that, especially when it's framed by Gregg Jakobson saying how much Dennis supported and defended Brian's vision.

O ok thanks Jon I misunderstood him I thought he said "I said" ok that clears a lot up for me  LOL

-Dennis Wilson
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »

"They said "what is this sh*t? Where's the surf music?"
Dennis was no doubt just saying this for effect. While record execs might have been hoping for more tracks like 'Help Me Rhonda" or 'California Girls', no one in the music biz in 1966 believed that surf or hot rod songs were still commercially viable. That short-lived fad died in the summer of 1964, sunk by the British Invasion.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »

Dennis was no doubt just saying this for effect. While record execs might have been hoping for more tracks like 'Help Me Rhonda" or 'California Girls', no one in the music biz in 1966 believed that surf or hot rod songs were still commercially viable. That short-lived fad died in the summer of 1964, sunk by the British Invasion.

Exactly and Brian promptly left the surf and hot rod songs in July 1964. The b side of Today! was an emotional jolt and showed the path he was taking.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 05:32:36 AM »

Exactly and Brian promptly left the surf and hot rod songs in July 1964. The b side of Today! was an emotional jolt and showed the path he was taking.

I think from the very beginning Brian's development was quasi-linear from upbeat songs and a few introspective ballads to Pet Sounds. SMiLE, however, is kind of a 90 degree turn into unchartered territory.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx