gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
677165 Posts in 27329 Topics by 4040 Members - Latest Member: Wayneo September 24, 2022, 08:01:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brother Logo  (Read 3242 times)
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2014, 10:38:39 PM »

Who in the BB corporation was responsible for the brother logo and also choosing the cover for Surfs Up.. ?  I know they were done by 2 separate artists but do seem to be related in a nice way.. I thought the logo for the record company was brilliant and fit the times perfectly.. I have never seen anything written about this that I can remember.. Did any of the BB ever comment about it at all..??
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:42:58 PM »

I'd honestly guess Brian, if any of the band, suggested it. Maybe he saw it in a book or something.

Beyond that, outside of the band, maybe David Anderle?

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 11:50:39 PM »

The Brother logo - "Appeal To The Great Spirit" by Cyrus Dallin - was reportedly inspired by a Wilson family member (uncle, grandfather... I always forget which) telling the brothers that a Native American spirit was looking over them and protecting them.

The Surf's Up cover... depends on who you believe, then-manager Jack Rieley says it was his idea, while art director Ed Thrasher says it was his. "End Of The Trail" by James Earl Frazer.

Both images are well-known, verging on iconic, in US culture.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 11:56:06 PM »

From WIkipedia:  When Beach Boy Carl Wilson was asked in 1975 why the group used this as their logo, he said the Indian was chosen because Carl’s grandfather believed that there was a spiritual Indian "guide" who watched over Brian, Dennis, and Carl from the "other side." The choice of the logo was Brian's. Carl called the logo "The Last Horizon."

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:58:34 PM »

How did the group get permission to use it as a logo? Do they own it? Or do they license the use of it to this day?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 12:08:43 AM »

From WIkipedia:  When Beach Boy Carl Wilson was asked in 1975 why the group used this as their logo, he said the Indian was chosen because Carl’s grandfather believed that there was a spiritual Indian "guide" who watched over Brian, Dennis, and Carl from the "other side." The choice of the logo was Brian's. Carl called the logo "The Last Horizon."

Thanks for that - as to the permission, both images are copyrighted so I'm guessing they just followed the usual laws in this case and paid the licensing fees.

Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 01:06:21 AM »

I posted this on another thread a few weeks ago but thought it was kind of relevant. I'm proud of it and show it off with pride
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:07:19 AM by Moz from Oz » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 01:20:32 AM »

End of the Trail would be cool to have on the other arm  Smiley

Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 02:03:53 AM »

End of the Trail would be cool to have on the other arm  Smiley
I've got a love heart with the wife's name in it on the other arm. Trouble is, she became ex-wife 5 months ago. Moral of the story, don't get a tattoo of a chicks name. It's bound to end in disaster ! Tattooist are pretty talented these days. I'm sure they could work their magic and cover it with something BB related
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 02:34:35 AM »

Never had any desire whatsoever to have a tattoo. One, as you get older they just look like big bruises (can you imagine what Cheryl Cole's back and arse is going to look like on 25 years time ?)... two, they're an excellent means of ID (don't ask...)... and three, I don't need to assert my personality that much on complete strangers: it's sufficiently overwhelming as it is.  Old Man

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Moderation in all things

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 06:41:11 AM »

(can you imagine what Cheryl Cole's back and arse is going to look like on 25 years time ?)...

Well thanks for that… I'm doing my best to picture that as I Type… remind me again, was she Posh Spice or Sporty Spice? And what are her qualifications for judging Strictly… again?

Who watches the Watchmen?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »

I posted this on another thread a few weeks ago but thought it was kind of relevant. I'm proud of it and show it off with pride

That's really well done.  Congrats on having that.  I'd say that validates you as being a legit fan for life!  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 09:11:05 AM »

If you get to the Boston area, head for the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts). The Dallin statue is just off the street where the Green Line MBTA runs, in between the MFA and Northeastern areas. You don't even need a paid admission or membership to see it up close, it's located right on the museum's lawn. It's great for photographs too, especially on sunny days.

My current avatar/image was taken about 8 years ago, the final hours of a road trip back to Boston to see a Brian Wilson concert. Having lived in Boston previously, and even being a member of the MFA at that time, I had never gotten a photo of the Dallin statue. So I made a special trip out of the way to the MFA, parked the car illegally, and had my traveling companions snap a few photos that i had always meant to get but never did.

The statue/sculpture itself is one of a series of four that Dallin did on that theme.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »

I went to a beach boys/billy joel concert at freedom hall in Louisville ky 4/1/75. a friend of mine and a super fan at the time, larry froebe, interviewed carl the next day at the hotel. if I remember right larry asked carl that question and carl gave that reply. larry had papers of all the rooms where the group stayed the night of the concert, who was with whom, what room the interview was held in. when I bought most of his collection that stuff was sent to me along with the records. larry gave brian a framed bronze copy of the logo to brian as a gift when larry got brian's book signed. freaked brian out  Smiley

Ad sepeliendum securim
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 09:48:27 AM »

If you get to the Boston area, head for the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts). The Dallin statue is just off the street where the Green Line MBTA runs, in between the MFA and Northeastern areas. You don't even need a paid admission or membership to see it up close, it's located right on the museum's lawn. It's great for photographs too, especially on sunny days.

My current avatar/image was taken about 8 years ago, the final hours of a road trip back to Boston to see a Brian Wilson concert. Having lived in Boston previously, and even being a member of the MFA at that time, I had never gotten a photo of the Dallin statue. So I made a special trip out of the way to the MFA, parked the car illegally, and had my traveling companions snap a few photos that i had always meant to get but never did.

The statue/sculpture itself is one of a series of four that Dallin did on that theme.

GF2002 - my alma mater is on the same street, and when I walked to the trolley at NU ( to save a quarter!) I felt a little BB "smug" attitude - big surprise! And, I think you have great taste in avatars!  Wink

And, we are in the midst of a blizzard (hoping to not lose power, but have a great woodstove) - Please stay safe fellow tristate and NE dwellers.   Kool-Aid Man
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 10:56:03 AM »

quote author=juggler link=topic=15376.msg357820#msg357820 date=1363481575]

Also see this interesting student paper...
http://www.escholarship.org/uc/item/7wn513j0#page-1

Ed Thrasher, head Art Director of Warner Records, recalled his first inspiration for the Beach Boys' Surfs Up, “When I was growing up, my dad had the painting, The End of the Trail in the room where he and his pals played poker. I found a copy of it in the Warner Bros. Prop Department all those years later and reproduced it for the 'Surf's Up' album cover. Maybe you can figure out why I put the two together....I can't!”115 Thrasher's intuitive decision to use an image of a Native American for an album that concerned student protests and leftist politics was likely due to the contemporary mass media attention surrounding the American Indian Movement

and

The success of the album and popularity of its cover art may account for band manager Jack Rieley's claim that he discovered End of the Trail, not Ed Thrasher. Similar to Thrasher's account, Rieley stated that he too came upon the image by chance; “I was in a car on Sunset and I noticed an antique shop with that print in the window. I thought it would make such a moving cover, and it tied in with their Brother Records logo.”123 Rieley's assertion that the End of the Trail would “tie in” with the Beach Boys' record label logo (established in 1966) was more appropriate than the band manager could have known.

[/quote]

No mention of Murry liking the picture or having the original that I have read but Stephen Desper wrote this suggesting Al has the painting that inspired cover.

COMMENT:  Last time I was there, the original painting of Murry's that Carl liked was hanging in the lobby of Alan's Red Barn Studio.  ~swd
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »

AWESOME.. Sure glad I asked that question because look at all the wonderful info + pictures  we got so far. Thanks to all of you.. !! 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »

Just FYI, the original of "End Of The Trail" is an eighteen foot high plaster cast (the proposed bronze never materialised) in the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City. Thus:

End Of The Trail

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »

Very cool!! Dig it!!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 03:00:03 PM »

Thank you AGD for the history lesson.. What an impressive piece of work.. !! And massive also.. Tulare county Ca is a lot closer than Oklahoma it would be worth seeing  the copy..
Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »

That's really well done.  Congrats on having that.  I'd say that validates you as being a legit fan for life!  Grin
Thanks !! I wasn't going to get the script because we all know what reaction we're met with when we say who our favorite band is, but I'm proud to be a fan so I thought f**k it. I like that script and think it looks so cool with the logo
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 09:14:08 AM »

Last year my son went on a school field trip to the MFA. Afterwards, in the gift shop, he bought a fridge magnet of the statue for me. When he got home he said "hey dad, they had a Beach Boys magnet at the museum"  Smiley
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 09:19:12 AM »

I got a really old framed print of Appeal to Great Spirit for $5.

It has some holes where bugs et on it. Lotsa character.  Wink

There are actually several "variations" of these prints with different shading, backgrounds, sky color.

Collect them all Kids!  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx