gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
675276 Posts in 27259 Topics by 4020 Members - Latest Member: woowoomachine July 06, 2022, 09:19:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBs at #8 in AARP Bulletin poll  (Read 1976 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:53:35 PM »

http://www.aarp.org/entertainment/music/info-10-2013/favorite-rock-stars.html?cmp=NLC-LISR-NMTEST2-102313-F1#slide1

Recently AARP Bulletin, the weekly publication of the American Association of Retired Persons, asked its readers to send in essays listing and discussing their favorite rock acts.  "More than 100 fans responded," says the Bulletin in the above link. Keep in mind that this publication goes out to forty-seven MILLION people. I don't know if the others listen to classical or what but anyway, our guys came in at #8.  The Fabs were #1, Elvis #2, Stones #3.

What's interesting is that Bill Haley & The Comets came in at #4. I mean, Old Spit-Curl did get the ball a-rollin', but I figured an act with more hits would have been likelier to make the list.

The list was rounded out with Little Richard, Chuck, Jerry Lee, Buddy, and the Everlys.  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:54:57 PM by rn57 » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 07:15:18 AM »

Wait 10 years the BB will be on top of the list.  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:34:07 AM »

What? The band with only 1 smash is No.4, no less? I mean, it's a good song but really, don't those pensioners remember The Beach Boys from their youngdom?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »

I'm not really surprised Bill Haley & His Comets are ranked so high. It doesn't matter they only had one huge hit and a couple other hits (three singles that sold 1+ million is pretty good though). It's WHEN they had them that made the impact on that generation. Rock Around the Clock was a huge #1 hit two years before Elvis finally broke through with Heartbreak Hotel. Even Shake, Rattle and Roll went to #7 a year and a half before Elvis hit the top 40.

Rock Around the Clock stayed at #1 for 8 weeks on the US 100 and even got to #3 on the R&B chart. It was also the first single in UK to ever sell one million copies, not that they apply to the AARP, but it shows how big the song and in turn the group was at the time.

100 "fans" is a pretty dang small testing sample, though. It'd be interesting what it'd be if there were many more.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:58:58 AM by LetHimRun » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »

Totally forgot about Shake-Rattle, their another signature. Didn't know anything about all these chart positions & chronology of events. After the latter I now kind of get why they're chosen over The BBs. Thanks for clarifying, LetHimRun!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »

Totally forgot about Shake-Rattle, their another signature. Didn't know anything about all these chart positions & chronology of events. After the latter I now kind of get why they're chosen over The BBs. Thanks for clarifying, LetHimRun!

See you later alligator. After 'while crocodile!  police
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »

That is the only reason I can see them over the BBs for those certain people. I wouldn't put them ahead of the BBs, but I didn't grow up when Bill Haley literally exploded on a scene that was desperate for it. This was also the time when Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and Bo Diddley were having success, but Bill Haley was able to take it up a notch or two and the younger white audience ate it up.

If I remember correctly, Rock Around the Clock was used in a movie in 1955 and that helped catapult it also.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:41:12 PM by LetHimRun » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 04:52:20 PM »

That is the only reason I can see them over the BBs for those certain people. I wouldn't put them ahead of the BBs, but I didn't grow up when Bill Haley literally exploded on a scene that was desperate for it. This was also the time when Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and Bo Diddley were having success, but Bill Haley was able to take it up a notch or two and the younger white audience ate it up.

If I remember correctly, Rock Around the Clock was used in a movie in 1955 and that helped catapult it also.

Blackboard Jungle was the movie.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »

Bill Haley was THE MAN - at least until Elvis came along - for those first generation rock 'n' roll fans, but he seems pretty tame in hindsight, compared to Chuck, Bo, Richard and Fats.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »

If they didn't specify "rock music," Perry Como, the Andrews Sisters, Lawrence Welk, Patti Page, Steve Lawrence, Vic Damone, and Guy Lombardo would have topped them all. They would have received a million letters instead of 100. I'm pretty sure AARP is mostly people over 75, even though 50 is the minimum age of eligibility.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

Yes, I do dig worms.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 09:04:37 PM »

I figured Paul Whiteman or even John Phillip Sousa would top the list.  LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx