gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
676411 Posts in 27291 Topics by 4032 Members - Latest Member: theangel August 10, 2022, 04:15:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should this song have been on the Little Deuce Coupe LP??  (Read 4634 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 03:08:32 AM »

This is a pretty decent number and with the BW polish, or an added riff/extra texture (percussive structure) would have worked beautifully on LDC or SD2.

It's better than Cherry, Cherry Coupe - we know that was an old number prior to it's LDC detailing;Brian may have musically/stylistically moved on, but CCC demonstrates he could resurrect older stuff and reimagine it for the brave new world of 1964.

I have to disagree with this opinion.  The difference between Dave's song and Cherry is what makes the Beach Boys different from most other bands at the time.  They were using way more than a basic chord progression.  The melodies were more melodic and better than others could do. Yet the songs themselves sound simple, including the lyrics.  Very deceptive but that is what makes Brian a genius.  As someone once said "genius is the ability to make something complex sound simple".

As for Kustom Kar, great song for a 15 year old to write but not up to par with Brian's stuff.  As someone above alluded to it wouldn't be economical for Brian to spend time rewriting or tweaking someone else's song when he could do something better in 10 mins.  That's not a slight on David, more more about praising Brian.

Hey Mike - Great points and respect to your opinion, but I can't see that Land ahoy/CCC had a a more melodic or complex chord progression than KK.  The chords and structure of CCC as a song were not new and have been used on many a rock song.  Similar chords were used on Marie's the name (of his latest flame) as recorded by Del Shannon in '61 (later famously covered by the King).

I feel that Brian's magic on CCC was in terms of production - and stellar it was on LDC - vs song-writing.  Had Brian taken some time with KK, I think the "magic" would have applied equally.  But he didn't; so we can only speculate and opine in kind.

Re Brian's time and economy re rewrites - well, we're talking an album that includes 2 previously released songs, a revised BW tune (CCC) and a tweak of someone else's song (Young Man).  This (and history) tells me Brian was under the pump, and it's a shame he didn't take advantage of David's song.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:23:09 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Moderation in all things

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 03:24:43 AM »

Can't warm to Kustom Kar Show; nice ditty but not approaching BW's in mid-flow. I don't think the fact that there were (relatively) weak BBs tracks on the albums is any reason to substitute one weak track with another, even with BW's fairy dust sprinkled on it.  I think we should stick with the way things happened.

Who watches the Watchmen?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »

Why not, I'd say? I'd rather prefer seeing 1 new song on LDC rather than what was before. F.ex., include it in place of Little Deuce Coupe (forget the banal "title track" rule, why not go just a bit off the mark?). I don't think Kustom Kar Show would've done any harm to the Brian-written songs, let alone overshadow them. It would only benefit if people knew how talented they all are, not just Brian & Mike. Just my 50c. (Btw, I like the song - aside from standard melodic structure, it has killer guitar solo & cool garage vocs by David (he's only 14-15!). And cool spelling via "K".)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 07:58:33 AM »

I certainly sounds more like the first two albums than like the material on LDC. Brian could write a better song in his sleep.

That said, having a slot in the albums for minor members can be good. See how it payed off with George Harrison, who went from Don't Bother me to his Rubber Soul tracks in two years. On the other hand those with talent will eventually rise to the occasion anyway, like Dennis.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 08:12:34 AM »

Like many here, I have enjoyed this thread and the speculation about whether KUSTOM KAR SHOW could have been included on the LITTLE DEUCE COUPE album.

First, let's set the scene in which Brian would have considered KUSTOM KAR SHOW for possible inclusion on LITTLE DEUCE COUPE.

In mid June 1963, while the Beach Boys were touring Hawaii, Capitol released SHUT DOWN, the various artists compilation album Nick Venet cobbled together with four originals by Roger Christian and Gary Usher, recording with his usual group of musician friends, but this time as the Super Stocks, six masters Capitol owned dating back to the early 1950s, and to sell the album, SHUT DOWN and 409, in the lead off positions on side one and two, respectively.  It charted less than a month later and had a meteoric rise on the charts, enjoying a forty-six week run and peaking at #7 in Billboard on newsstands August 17, while the guys were playing the Wayne County Fair in Honesdale, PA.  The album cost very little to produce and was a big seller from coast-to-coast. A huge money maker for the Tower. Needless to say, Capitol was pleasantly surprised.  But at 3701 W. 119th Street in Hawthorne, the album only deepened Murry's distrust and dislike for Usher and Nick Venet.  The album traded on the success of two Beach Boys' songs and usurped any opportunity for the Boys to use SHUT DOWN as a potential title for their own automotive-themed album. But the Capitol machinery had a major hit and wanted more of the same.

It seems likely Capitol directly or indirectly leaned on Brian to quickly come up with a Beach Boys' car album based around LITTLE DEUCE COUPE, the B side to SURFER GIRL released  July 22, just days after the group began their tour of the Midwest and the East. Brian spent a good deal of time that August in Los Angeles, while Al filled in for him on the road, working with Christian on songs for the what became the LITTLE DEUCE COUPE album. They already knew they had three songs for the album -- LITTLE DEUCE COUPE, SHUT DOWN, and 409.  They needed nine more. Brian recycled the melodies of three songs (LAND AHOY became CHERRY CHERRY COUPE; PAMELA JEAN, which Brian had recently written for the Survivors, but had not been released yet, became CAR CRAZY CUTIE; and Bobby Troup's THEIR HEARTS WERE FULL OF SPRING was later transformed by Mike into A YOUNG MAN IS GONE. Brian dusted off BALLAD OF OL' BETSY, recorded back in February and fortuitously left off the SURFIN' USA album, and with Christian wrote two originals (NO-GO SHOWBOAT and SPIRIT of AMERICA, inspired by Craig Breedlove's record-setting run of 407.45 mph on August 5). There is a Popular Songwriter's Contract for CUSTOM MACHINE between Brian and Sea of Tunes dated November 1, 1962.  If the date on that document is correct, then CUSTOM MACHINE, perhaps in some embryonic form, was already available for Brian to finish. Rich Peterson (real name Rich Alarian) of the Survivors maintained he wrote the lyrics for CUSTOM MACHINE and NO-GO SHOWBOAT, but went uncredited in exchange for Brian's work and financial assistance with the Survivors. Brian had a song, at least tentatively, called RABBIT'S FOOT that was slated for the Honeys. He pulled it back and, with lyrics by Mike, transformed it into OUR CAR CLUB.  They finished BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL, their upcoming new single and the only non-automotive song on the album. 

The guys returned from the road August 31 and Dave had just had his altercation with Murry. September was spent finishing the SURFER GIRL album and a fair amount of personal appearances. Dave's last show with the group was October 5 at "Surfin' at the Bowl" at the Balboa Park Bowl in San Diego. Early October was spent finishing the LITTLE DEUCE COUPE album. While I cannot be certain, and I would be interested in Jon's and Dave's thoughts on this, it seems likely Dave ran KUSTOM KAR SHOW by Brian sometime between August 31 and October 5. It also seems likely that with Brian and Christian working on the album since August, a good portion of the LITTLE DEUCE COUPE album was already taking shape. Perhaps, nine out of twelve spots were already taken (Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down, 409, Ballad of Ol' Betsy, Cherry Cherry Coupe, Car Crazy Cutie, Spirit of America, No-Go Showboat, and Custom Machine). Mike wrote new lyrics for A YOUNG MAN IS GONE and helped transform RABBIT'S FOOT into OUR CAR CLUB, leaving a twelfth spot for the new single, Be True to Your School.

While it is certainly possible Murry did not want a Dave-penned song on the group's next album, with songwriting royalties going to Dave in perpetuity, and exercised his considerable weight on Brian, we also have to consider what shape KUSTOM KAR SHOW was in at the time and how it sounded when Dave played it for Brian. I think it's fair to say it was probably a rough demo or sketch, and did not sound like the finished version we now enjoy. Personally, I like the song and I think Brian could have worked on it with Dave and it would have made a solid addition to the new album.  But consider the pressure Brian must have been under at the time and a few scenarios emerge. He either did not need another song, was leaned on by Murry not to even consider it (especially in light of Dave's impending departure), did not have the time to invest in it, or did not hear something in it that he deemed worth his time. Interestingly, if Dave had not left the group, and given they had more time to work on the next album, KUSTOM KAR SHOW would have also fit on SHUT DOWN VOL 2, especially in place of such filler as Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson.

Well, like so many issues with the Beach Boys, we may never know the complete or true story of Brian's response to KUSTOM KAR SHOW. Thankfully, Dave had the perseverance and creativity to finish writing, arranging, performing, and producing it the way he heard it.  And that is good thing.  Now . . . what really would have been cool, would have been to hear Dave perform KUSTOM KAR SHOW on the recent tour, with Dave trading solos with Jeff Beck.   
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »

Great post, Jim! One small correction: Our Car Club was already finished as well as it was on the Surfer Girl album. However, that doesn't make your points any less valid, rather the other way round.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 09:49:15 AM »

what really would have been cool, would have been to hear Dave perform KUSTOM KAR SHOW on the recent tour, with Dave trading solos with Jeff Beck.   

+1
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »

Thanks, Fall Breaks!  Aaarrgh, how could I miss that?!  And the current music publisher for OUR CAR CLUB is Screen Gems-EMI, which purchased Aldon Music (Al Nevins and Don Kirshner's music publishing company) in March 1963, indicating OUR CAR CLUB was probably published with Aldon, had been available since spring 1963, scrapped for the Honeys, and polished off for the LITTLE DEUCE COUPE album. Another way Brian could meet the insane demand of releasing a new album just three weeks after the SURFER GIRL album.  I remember my brother, Rich, and I buying those albums and thinking, "Gee, these albums have a lot of overlap.  Why is that?" and feeling slightly cheated.  Well, now we know why!  And . . . Back to Winter.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx