gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
675282 Posts in 27259 Topics by 4020 Members - Latest Member: woowoomachine July 06, 2022, 10:09:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Song Sound Effects  (Read 7379 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 07:51:51 AM »

How about the sounds at the end if All I Wanna Do where Dennis does some of his best after dark work

Forgive me for being a relative newbie to BB history, but what's the story behind that particular sound effect anyway?  I actually don't hear it on the Spotify version of this track.
Well, it also depends on if you're listening to All I Wanna Do (from Sunflower) or All I Want to Do (from 20/20)…there's a slight difference, because if you're listening to All I Wanna Do, you're not gonna hear it at all.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 08:12:13 AM »

Workshop without the workshop tools is 'Vibraphone'.

Also, Handsaw on Little pad
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:19:01 AM by Freddie French-Pounce » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:06 AM »

How about the sounds at the end if All I Wanna Do where Dennis does some of his best after dark work
Yeah, I was thinking of putting All I WANT to Do as well.
Sorry,my mistake. Was in a rush and mixed up the titles
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »

The water sounds on "Cool Cool Water" combined with the water chant is my favorite section of the song.

CCW is high art imo. They went into the foothills outside of LA and recorded several hours worth of different streams and creeks flowing. They picked the right one for that song, which is itself excellent with stellar vocals, humourous lyrics but genuine all the same.

You can feel the warmth of the SoCal sun overhead and the cool sensatation of drinking that cool, refreshing water. You can feel yourself sitting down, leaning against the mighty trunk of a deciduous tree, as the warmth of the air surrounds you, you can hear the trickling water of the stream nearby, you look down on the ground next to you and you see the ants move around without a sound.

Cool Cool Water is a strong which is unique in the sense that I am really transported to the warmth of California...
Few other songs make such a strong impression. Surprised so few others get the same tranquil feeling from this song. Surely my favourite off the Sunflower album. Transcendental Meditation
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 09:05:31 AM »

Yes, that is an excellent sound effect. The CCW breakdown tutorial, (links on the Desper thread) goes into some detail on this, as I'm sure you know.
Bhw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »

Call me nuts, but I like the bicycle bell in strange world!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 11:15:06 AM »

Yeah, I was thinking of putting All I WANT to Do as well.
Sorry,my mistake. Was in a rush and mixed up the titles
It's all good, just making sure nobody was confused.    Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »

On I Went To Sleep, in addition to the tambourine "sprinkler" and the snoring, there is a toy bird warbler/whistle (the ones that you fill up with water) just before the line "a bird flew away" that sounds great. It took me years to notice it. I especially like that the sound effect precedes the lyric, rather than appearing during the lyric or immediately after it, which is the way sound effects that correspond to a lyric are usually used. In this case it's like the bird actually flies away and then the singer comments on it.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »

On I Went To Sleep, in addition to the tambourine "sprinkler" and the snoring, there is a toy bird warbler/whistle (the ones that you fill up with water) just before the line "a bird flew away" that sounds great. It took me years to notice it. I especially like that the sound effect precedes the lyric, rather than appearing during the lyric or immediately after it, which is the way sound effects that correspond to a lyric are usually used. In this case it's like the bird actually flies away and then the singer comments on it.
Great observation. I love this type of in depth look at obscure songs.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 05:40:27 AM »

Great topic, SIB! Since it is about the "best" sound fx, not a list of everything we remembered, here's my 50c:

Vegetable crunching
Tape exploding- H&V
The sound effects used on Diamond Head
Glass breaking, silver wear rubbing together- Take a Load off Your Feet
Hammers, saws, drills- i wanna be around/Friday night
Also battle cry of Ninja ("San Miguel"), the "night" effect, fireworks, footsteps ("Mount Vernon & Fairway"), the birds ("At My Window"), an alarm clock ("I Just Got My Pay"), fake audience ("Loop De Loop"), whirling (AC tracks), animals ("Barnyard"), train ("Caroline, No").

The water sounds on "Cool Cool Water" combined with the water chant is my favorite section of the song.

CCW is high art imo. They went into the foothills outside of LA and recorded several hours worth of different streams and creeks flowing. They picked the right one for that song, which is itself excellent with stellar vocals, humourous lyrics but genuine all the same.

You can feel the warmth of the SoCal sun overhead and the cool sensation of drinking that cool, refreshing water. You can feel yourself sitting down, leaning against the mighty trunk of a deciduous tree, as the warmth of the air surrounds you, you can hear the trickling water of the stream nearby, you look down on the ground next to you and you see the ants move around without a sound.

Cool Cool Water is a strong which is unique in the sense that I am really transported to the warmth of California...
Excellent post, Cabinessenceking! Except I think the song's beautiful even minus water sounds. But with them it's a sheer brilliance.

Call me nuts, but I like the bicycle bell in Strange World!
Why will anyone call you crazy? That's just how you hear it.

Quote from: punkinhead
Window shade raising on Wake the World
Interesting, I always heard it as a snow shovel. Maybe because the window shade in my house sounds different.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 09:17:13 AM »

Great topic, SIB! Since it is about the "best" sound fx, not a list of everything we remembered, here's my 50c:

Vegetable crunching
Tape exploding- H&V
Also battle cry of Ninja ("San Miguel"), the "night" effect, fireworks, footsteps ("Mount Vernon & Fairway"), the birds ("At My Window"), an alarm clock ("I Just Got My Pay"), fake audience ("Loop De Loop"), whirling (AC tracks), animals ("Barnyard"), train ("Caroline, No").

You can feel the warmth of the SoCal sun overhead and the cool sensation of drinking that cool, refreshing water. You can feel yourself sitting down, leaning against the mighty trunk of a deciduous tree, as the warmth of the air surrounds you, you can hear the trickling water of the stream nearby, you look down on the ground next to you and you see the ants move around without a sound.

Excellent post, Cabinessenceking! Except I think the song's beautiful even minus water sounds. But with them it's a sheer brilliance.

Interesting, I always heard it as a snow shovel. Maybe because the window shade in my house sounds different.

Snow shovel? That's an excellent observation!

What's the "whirling" effects from AC tracks?  Is that Adult Child?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »

Vegetable crunching
Tape exploding- H&V

Snow shovel? It always sounded like someone sharpening a blade to me! Although yes, blinds opening makes a lot more sense doesn't it... Can't believe that's never dawned on me before.

Never noticed anyone shouting "ninja" in San Miguel... At what point?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2013, 04:35:10 PM »

Vegetable crunching
Tape exploding- H&V

Snow shovel? It always sounded like someone sharpening a blade to me! Although yes, blinds opening makes a lot more sense doesn't it... Can't believe that's never dawned on me before.

Never noticed anyone shouting "ninja" in San Miguel... At what point?
Yeah, the window shades situation was a big dispute back in the day. There were some who thought it was a music stand falling in the studio.

I know what the "shouting ninja thing" he's referring to, can't remember what part of he song it's in…I wouldn't say ninja, more of an indian?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »

roller skates at the end of Roller Skating Child
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »

Might be real simplistic, but how about the Windchimes on Windchimes?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »

Crickets on Surfer Moon, Bob and Sheri's version. The version came out for the Beach boys version, right? I wonder what happened to the crickets sound? But then again, did he do a whole different track for the Beach boys? I have not listened to Bob and Sheri's version in a long time.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 01:52:59 PM »

More vocal effects than sound effects, but I just love the laughing bg vocals in H&V "Vega-Tables."

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:50:43 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »

Yeah seriously the laughing on many Smile sessions tracks just sounds so perfect
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/laughter

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 08:49:06 PM »

The horn in still believe in me
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 11:40:45 PM »

Torturing the gearbox on Susie Cincinnati! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »

A couple of things I'd not noticed until MIC came out -- taking breaths on "Country Air" and wind fx on "Let the Wind Blow," nice and subtle.

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »

Which BB / Solo song benefits most from the additional sound effects. 409 and Susie Cincinatti wouldn't be the same without the car fx and the footsteps on Walkin The Line make a difference as well. Thoughts and additions ?

COMMENT: 

Having been involved, or even the source, of many BB sound effects, for me the hands-down winner of the best sound effect is at the end of All I Want To Do from 20/20.  No breaking dishes, car sounds, dog barks, car horns, or other machanical sounds of saws and hammers beats Dennis Fucking a chick in stereo, complete with an overdub at the end of this song.
   ~swd 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2013, 06:36:14 PM »

Classic! There's a sig line if I ever saw one, boys.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2013, 05:14:38 AM »

"Diamond Head" is full of fantastic sound effects. Nice to know Brian was still into this kind of stuff many months after the collapse of Smile.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx