gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
678391 Posts in 27405 Topics by 4045 Members - Latest Member: reecemorgan February 04, 2023, 03:15:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Where is she?' just played on BBC radio 2!  (Read 19868 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »

Already said; but where the hell has this been for all this time??!?!?!

This is actually a very strong track. Lovely Brian voice in the style he would later sing 'Awake'. This def on my playlist asap.
Is this the first instance of Brian using a moog synthesizer as a central instrument. Do we know who played the instruments?

I think that's the Baldwin bass pedals that you're hearing.
Also, I'd imagine Brian did everything.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:34:35 PM by Discipline Daddy » Logged

A discipline daddy.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »

Having listened to this track about 30+ times ( Shocked) my impression hasn't changed much. I love the vocals from Brian. I loved the opening line and when it's repeated in harmony... but the lyrics are pretty abysmal as it goes on. Definitely a WIP.  LOL

Lyrics are grossly overrated.

Can you provide a reference for where / by whom they're overrated please? Haven't seen this track reviewed before this thread appeared. Thanks in advance …

I was not talking about this track. I was talking about lyrics to songs in general. I don't find lyrics to make or break a song. Production, melody, arrangement, and vocals are what I use to determine a good track. Lyrics are the lowest on the totem pole. He could have been singing about candy corn and I'd still think his voice was fantastic.

You don't need to be offended in this instance. You just need to use better comprehension. I'd get your sarcastic complaint if I said, "The lyrics are grossly overrated."

Other musings by me that would warrant your being up in arms:

"This song's lyrics suck."

"I can't stand this song based solely on the lyrics."

"Did Mike Love write these awful lyrics?"

"I don't get anyone who would like this song because these lyrics are dreadful."

"This song should have stayed in the vaults, these lyrics are pathetic."

But I never said any of it. Thanks...
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2013, 06:14:47 PM »

So even though I really didn't want to listen to it before I got Made In California, I broke down and listened. Three times. I think.

I really dig it. It's incredible that there was this song there that the group never issued all these years. I can see why it didn't make Sunflower because it really was a pretty "light" album, and this a pretty "heavy" type thing. However, I think it woulda fit pretty well on Surf's Up, maybe as track 7, making it a four song Brian finish rather than just three. And I don't think this woulda been that crazy, as it seems that a lot of the stuff that didn't make Sunflower was considered for Surf's Up.

This also might be something that nobody agrees with, but as well as being an edit, I kinda got the feeling that maybe this song had instrumentation added recently. It is definitely a minimalist thing going on. But it also sounds more finished than it had been described, and it has a Pet Sounds kinda vibe. And the way it was pretty much described was just like Brian and rhythm box. So I expected something a bit more demo-ish. And this ain't demo-ish in my opinion. And if instrumentation was added recently, I think that's just fine because it's Brian's song and he's allowed to do with it what he wants. So if it was too bare bones for him and he wanted stuff added, then cool.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2013, 06:20:51 PM »

I hesitate to "hype" unreleased tracks, but this one is "hypeable." Just beautiful.....

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »

Oh man, this song is so good  Shocked

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »

Youtube version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3kH-Akg4Mw

edit

(poster used cliffs rip.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:25:05 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2013, 06:41:53 PM »

I kinda got the feeling that maybe this song had instrumentation added recently. It is definitely a minimalist thing going on. But it also sounds more finished than it had been described, and it has a Pet Sounds kinda vibe. And the way it was pretty much described was just like Brian and rhythm box. So I expected something a bit more demo-ish. And this ain't demo-ish in my opinion. And if instrumentation was added recently, I think that's just fine because it's Brian's song and he's allowed to do with it what he wants. So if it was too bare bones for him and he wanted stuff added, then cool.

Interesting theory! It does sound oddly modern sonically.

Also, I'm thinking there must be a track that kept the rhythm muted out in this version. Maybe a piano track. I'm sure they played with the elements, a la California Feelin' (MIC version). Sounds like the last verse is a loop of the 1st.

They did a nice job, whatever they did. It sounds great.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Moderation in all things

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »

Having listened to this track about 30+ times ( Shocked) my impression hasn't changed much. I love the vocals from Brian. I loved the opening line and when it's repeated in harmony... but the lyrics are pretty abysmal as it goes on. Definitely a WIP.  LOL

Lyrics are grossly overrated.

Can you provide a reference for where / by whom they're overrated please? Haven't seen this track reviewed before this thread appeared. Thanks in advance …

I was not talking about this track. I was talking about lyrics to songs in general. I don't find lyrics to make or break a song. Production, melody, arrangement, and vocals are what I use to determine a good track. Lyrics are the lowest on the totem pole. He could have been singing about candy corn and I'd still think his voice was fantastic.

You don't need to be offended in this instance. You just need to use better comprehension. I'd get your sarcastic complaint if I said, "The lyrics are grossly overrated."

Other musings by me that would warrant your being up in arms:

"This song's lyrics suck."

"I can't stand this song based solely on the lyrics."

"Did Mike Love write these awful lyrics?"

"I don't get anyone who would like this song because these lyrics are dreadful."

"This song should have stayed in the vaults, these lyrics are pathetic."

But I never said any of it. Thanks...

You don't need to be offended in this instance. You just need to use better comprehension.

I incorrectly assumed you'd deliberately omitted an initial "The" and I was looking for a reference to previous posts about a song I'd never heard before. But I appreciate your delicate clarification. As you say, "thanks".

Who watches the Watchmen?
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2013, 07:48:25 PM »

I kinda got the feeling that maybe this song had instrumentation added recently. It is definitely a minimalist thing going on. But it also sounds more finished than it had been described, and it has a Pet Sounds kinda vibe. And the way it was pretty much described was just like Brian and rhythm box. So I expected something a bit more demo-ish. And this ain't demo-ish in my opinion. And if instrumentation was added recently, I think that's just fine because it's Brian's song and he's allowed to do with it what he wants. So if it was too bare bones for him and he wanted stuff added, then cool.

Also, I'm thinking there must be a track that kept the rhythm muted out in this version. Maybe a piano track. I'm sure they played with the elements, a la California Feelin' (MIC version). Sounds like the last verse is a loop of the 1st.

That clave-esque sound is likely from the drum machine track.

A discipline daddy.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »

What's scary is that Brian probably wrote a bunch of songs like this that never got recorded. One of those living room #1's. But when the band needed material, Brian would be like, "Y'know, why haven't we ever recorded a cover of 'Battle Hymn of the Republic'?" And God bless 'em, they did it.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »

It's been about 6 or 7 years since I heard this last, but while it's certainly a different mix, I don't think anything has been added.  The mix I heard in 2006 does in my memory seem like it was a little sparser.  I'll have to check my notes.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »

Where can she be if she's not here with me.. He sounds so good on this!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »

Woah, I love the directness and the fragility. Really, really good stuff. It kinda sounds like what I imagine a work-in-progress Pet Sounds track may have sounded like before Brian ran it by Tony Asher.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:46 PM »

It's been about 6 or 7 years since I heard this last, but while it's certainly a different mix, I don't think anything has been added.  The mix I heard in 2006 does in my memory seem like it was a little sparser.  I'll have to check my notes.

Thanks for weighing in. Would love to read the notes you took back then, if you have the time to post em!
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2013, 09:11:44 PM »

awesome!!!!!!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2013, 09:23:17 PM »

Thanks for weighing in. Would love to read the notes you took back then, if you have the time to post em!

I would, but they're not organized very well, so it's easier to sort of track down notes for a specific thing.  Plus, I think about 75% of them will be unnecessary pretty soon, since everybody will be hearing these things for themselves.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »

Love it!  Very interesting to hear Brian's future voice creep in during certain phrases too.  Amazing that there are still songs like this in the vault that have gone unreleased for so long.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2013, 10:04:42 PM »

Very nice start to a song, this is, yes?  While I haven't given the piece a proper analysis after only one listen, the similarities to "She's Leaving Home" others have mentioned are pretty plain to me, too (though in no way did this detract from my listening experience, only colour it).

Brian's vocal is wonderful, and the instrumentation, as sparse as it is, really does the job of setting a fragile, almost haunting scene.  Nicely done, and this is one of the few times I wouldn't mind seeing the band take something decades old as this, and fleshing it out (as long as this original recording were provided, too).  I'd be curious to hear what a fuller treatment would produce.

Thanks, Cliff!

Maybe it goes without saying, but I think the next couple of weeks will be an awfully wonderful time to be a fan of the Beach Boys.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2013, 10:26:11 PM »

That song is pure sweetness. It's been more than 10 years since I last heard "She's Leaving Home" and I still hear some vague similarities but I can't be bothered. Oh what a voice he had...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »

Holy crap!!  Shocked Great song!!  Grin I agree though about the chorus sounding a lot like She's Leaving Home. Parts of the verse("where can she be if she's not here with me") also sound very similar to Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds("newspaper taxis appear on the shore", etc). It's interesting to wonder if there would have been any possible plagiarism  lawsuits.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

The Producer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2013, 11:51:01 PM »

After the second "where is sheeeeee" I hear a faint instrument.... Brass? On the left side...

**   危険な空 - Dangerous Skies  **
https://mikeleroy.bandcamp.com/album/single
**MIKE LEROY MAKES IT SIMPLE**
https://mikeleroy.bandcamp.com/album/makes-it-simple
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

The Producer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2013, 11:53:16 PM »

Yup, definitely there. Either a guitar overdriven or brass
After "where is sheeeeee eeeeeee" the whine. On the left side only.

**   危険な空 - Dangerous Skies  **
https://mikeleroy.bandcamp.com/album/single
**MIKE LEROY MAKES IT SIMPLE**
https://mikeleroy.bandcamp.com/album/makes-it-simple
MBE
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2013, 12:10:27 AM »

My wife thought Brian was trying for a Nick Mason drum sound and Rick Wright styled organ. Pink Floyd rhythm section for those who aren't aware.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2013, 12:11:47 AM »

Your wife has a good ear.  Grin I missed it, but now I can hear it pretty clearly.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2013, 12:13:48 AM »

I know it's not period accurate, but I can't help thinking that the "bare bones" production of this would have fit in nicely on Smiley Smile, or Friends.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx