gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
677165 Posts in 27329 Topics by 4040 Members - Latest Member: Wayneo September 24, 2022, 07:27:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bottom 5 Beach Boys albums  (Read 14884 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »

1. Stars and stripes
2.SIP
3.party
4.15 big ones
5.KTSA
JT PDX
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »

[/quote]

It is pretty bad, but I don't think it's right to rank an album you haven't heard.
[/quote]

You're right, it is unfair to rank it. I admit it. I'm just doing an educated guess since I like all the other albums so much (to varying levels of course) and don't have anything else I want to put in the bottom five. I'm not actually even saying it's bad. My ranking is therefore totally un-pure. But I stick by it! Tongue
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »

Don't be mad at me, Mr. Love, you're on all my favorite Beach Boys albums, too.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 08:16:06 PM »

Since I posted them in the other thread, I figure I'll include qualifiers here.

Bottom up:

1. Smiley Smile - Having heard the Smile material first, the holdovers from those sessions sound like a joke to me here.  To be honest, even "Heroes And Villains" (which I did hear before the Smile stuff) pales to its earlier incarnation to me.  Aside from "Good Vibrations", the few things that I really like on this album are barely even songs ("Whistle In", "Fall Breaks...", "With Me Tonight").  I find most of the later written material on it absolutely unlistenable.

2. Surfin USA - Beyond one great single, this album sounds like ALL filler (with the possible exception of "Farmer's Daughter").  "Misirlou" is OK but it was done better elsewhere.

3. Love You - Like Smiley Smile, I understand what Brian was going for but that doesn't make it any more pleasing to my ears.  Some of the melodies are nice but like most of their stuff immediately following the collapse of Smile, it sounds more like a collection of sparse demos than an actual finished album. 

4. Friends - While more pleasing to my ear than Love You and Smiley Smile, it again falls into that "unfinished sound" period of theirs for me.  And while I don't knock the sentiment of the title track some of the lyrics just make me cringe.  There's a lot of nice vocal work on the album but it just doesn't have any "punch" to me.

5. M.I.U. Album - While not much worse than the last three albums before TWGMTR, it's easily the most bland album in their catalog.  It has a few decent songs but it's really boring.

One thing I found interesting in the other list is I would see people who agreed on some things and not at all on others.  For example, I'm a big fan of the Blondie & Ricky stuff and would see someone rank Surf's Up through In Concert high (like me) but have it interspersed with the stuff I like least.  I guess that's what makes it interesting around here.  Cool
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:19:04 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »

Since I posted them in the other thread, I figure I'll include qualifiers here.

Bottom up:

1. Smiley Smile - Having heard the Smile material first, the holdovers from those sessions sound like a joke to me here.  To be honest, even "Heroes And Villains" (which I did hear before the Smile stuff) pales to its earlier incarnation to me.  Aside from "Good Vibrations", the few things that I really like on this album are barely even songs ("Whistle In", "Fall Breaks...", "With Me Tonight").  I find most of the later written material on it absolutely unlistenable.

2. Surfin USA - Beyond one great single, this album sounds like ALL filler (with the possible exception of "Farmer's Daughter").  "Misirlou" is OK but it was done better elsewhere.

3. Love You - Like Smiley Smile, I understand what Brian was going for but that doesn't make it any more pleasing to my ears.  Some of the melodies are nice but like most of their stuff immediately following the collapse of Smile, it sounds more like a collection of sparse demos than an actual finished album. 

4. Friends - While more pleasing to my ear than Love You and Smiley Smile, it again falls into that "unfinished sound" period of theirs for me.  And while I don't knock the sentiment of the title track some of the lyrics just make me cringe.  There's a lot of nice vocal work on the album but it just doesn't have any "punch" to me.

5. M.I.U. Album - While not much worse than the last three albums before TWGMTR, it's easily the most bland album in their catalog.  It has a few decent songs but it's really boring.

Somebody hold my coat.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »

1.) Summer in Paradise--"Summer of Love" is surely the worst song that the Beach Boys have put on an album, and the version of "Forever" seems like an act of grave defilement.  The other songs are merely bad, except perhaps for "Lahaina Aloha."  The accordion on that song is great!  Whoever played it should collaborate with Mike Love for a solo project.  Considering how much Dennis supposedly hated M.I.U., I can't help but wonder how he would have reacted if he'd ever heard this.

2.) 15 Big Ones--I am completely at a loss as to why Brian periodically calls this his favorite Beach Boys album.  The covers range from cringe-inducingly awful to merely mediocre and several of the originals are awful.  The only songs that I enjoy are leftovers from the early '70s or before, and would probably have been undistinguished on most earlier albums (except maybe "Had to Phone Ya").

3.) Keepin' the Summer Alive--I really don't like "Endless Harmony" and there is nary a worthwhile track to be found here.

4.) Still Cruisin'--Somehow, the fact that the band couldn't be bothered to put three new-ish tracks on at the end instead of classics really bothers me, even though the classics are significantly better than what the newer songs would have been.  Their presence makes it all too obvious that this is little more than an attempt to cash-in on the success of "Kokomo."  Still, the presence of "Somewhere Near Japan," "Island Girl," and "In My Car" makes this much better than the previous three albums, and as embarrassing  as "Wipe Out" is, a comparison with "Summer of Love" reveals that Beach Boys-hip hop fusion is much less embarrassing when the hip hop portions are outsourced.

5.) M.I.U. Album--I feel badly including the album that contains "My Diane," but the proximity of that great song to, say "Kona Coast," "Matchpoint of Our Love," and "Winds of Change" really highlights how vapid the other songs on the album are.  It would have been nice if Adult Child had been released instead, preferably with "My Diane" replacing "Hey Little Tomboy."
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »

[
Somebody hold my coat.

Grin
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 09:04:56 PM »

It would have been nice if Adult Child had been released instead, preferably with "My Diane" replacing "Hey Little Tomboy."

^  Brilliant!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »

1. KTSA- The band on life support
2. MIU- Brian trapped in Iowa
3. SIP- If only Dennis Wilson could come back to life for one day and listen to this.
4. BB 85- Brian held his great songs back for solo album
5. LA Light- they tried to hide lack of material with the long HCTN.

Huh?!
How about a list of five things Dennis would be doing, if he came back to life for one day, INSTEAD OF listening to SIP?
Is that too frivolous for a thread?
Well, let's give it a try....
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 10:02:01 PM »

And oh yeah, bottom 5
5) Surfin Safari
4) BB 85
3) SIP (VDP's accordion keeps it from rock bottom)
2) KTSA
1) Stars & Stripes
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »

Pet Sounds
SMiLE
Sunflower
Today
Holland

Jedi Duel

y'wot?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 11:31:50 PM »

1/ Summer In Paradise - OK what can I say about this album that hasn't already been written 1000 times before?
2/ BB85 - The worst of 80's productions meets a bunch of Brian/Landy co-writes.
3/ Surfin' Safari - Face it, much of what Brian and Gary Usher wrote was not very good.
4/ 15 Big Ones - A great big dump on Holland's achievements.
5/ Love You - Would have made a great EP.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 03:55:56 AM »

Hey, "Surf Jam" is one of the best surf instrumentals ever! I listened to that one more often than the others combined!

Well, my list...

1. Love You (great songs that sound like sh*t)
2. SIP (shitty songs that would sound better with real drums)
3. Carl And The Passions (yawn!)
4. Holland (yawn again)
5. tie between L.A. and BB 85 (more yawns)

I never listened to S&S, and I don't count Still Cruisin' as a full album.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 04:49:04 AM »

1. Stars & Stripes
2. Summer in Paradise
3. Surfin Safari

That's about it. I can't bring myself to rubbish any of their other jeffs, there's plenty on them for me to love.
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 06:22:48 AM »

This is an interesting exercise but a tough one.

1. Stars and Stripes (might have been intersting if it had new stuff on it; never listen to it as it is)
2. Still Cruisin (as others have said, several good original songs (SNJ!!) but the "retread" of the 3 songs at the end make it lame)
3. Love You (just not my cup of tea; its inclusion is certain to raise comments)
4. Party (I enjoy the spontaneity, but since we have to pick 5...)
5. KTSA (just not good enough when compared to the remainder of the catalogue)

This is really a good question; nice job!!!
MBE
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 06:40:29 AM »

This was easy
5. KTSA
4. Still Crusin
3. Beach Boys 85
2. Summer In Paradise
Worst 1. Stars and Stripes

Of these I only really like Getcha Back, SNJ, Goin' On, Keeping The Summer Alive, and Santa Ana Winds. I would count Male Ego but CD was a new format and it wasn't on the LP or tape most people purchased. I also would count Living With A Hearache as good, but only in the shortened single version. The LP cut drags on way too long.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 07:55:50 AM »

I also would count Living With A Hearache as good, but only in the shortened single version. The LP cut drags on way too long.

Indeed. The song could well end at approx. 2.20, and it would be a nice, country-ish ditty. But no, we get almost two extra minutes, which sink the song for me. The chorus isn't that god.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 08:17:25 AM »

1.  LBWL
2.   SIP
2.   Stars and Stripes
3.   85
4.   MIU

And if I can't have LBWL, move SIP to numero uno and add Still Cruisin'.

All of them have at least one decent or better track*, but they also contain a lot of poor songs.

*Except LBWL.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »

5. KTSA (5 out of 10)
4. Still Crusin (2.5 out of 10)
3. Beach Boys 85 (2 out of 10)
2. Stars and Stripes (1 out of 10)
1. Summer In Paradise (0.5 out of 10)

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Junebug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »

I love even most of their so-called crummy albums (especially Party and 15BO). So this is hard to pinpoint but I can definitely throw these down:

1. Stars and Stripes (shudder)
2. Summer in Paradise (okay I haven't heard this, I'm just assuming I would rate it low based on general consensus. Meanwhile I am keeping my eye out for a copy to buy.).3. Beach Boys '85 (don't mind the dated production, just think too many of the songs are dull)
4. Still Cruisin' (not enough new songs, plus meh productions. Love the Fat Boys song though!)
5. Surfin' Safari (too many novelty type songs, but obviously has some amazing songs too)

It is pretty bad, but I don't think it's right to rank an album you haven't heard.

Correct, which is why i'm staying out of this one !
I dont own the early ones (first 4/5) or anything from late 70's onwards (except the new one).
I'm content with the tracks from those on the GV box set.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »

This is rather more difficult to answer than 'Top 5 Fav' survey , I love ALL the albums but to qualify for my list they are certainly the ones that I play least (one of which for obvious reasons only comes out to play once a year) 

In no particular order ,

Surfin' Safari
Surfin' USA
Party
Christmas Album (original , not the expanded)
Concert
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »

5. MIU
4. Keeping the Summer Alive
3. Summer in Paradisa
2. 15 Big Ones
1. Love You
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2012, 02:49:14 PM »

You people are jerks! JERKS!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »

Anyone putting Surfin' Safari is not my friend anymore.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »

You people are jerks! JERKS!

Of course we are, we wouldn't be on this forum if we weren't! Cheesy

1.  LBWL
2.   SIP
2.   Stars and Stripes
3.   85
4.   MIU

And if I can't have LBWL, move SIP to numero uno and add Still Cruisin'.

All of them have at least one decent or better track*, but they also contain a lot of poor songs.

*Except LBWL.

Is LBWL Looking Back With Love? I should check that out then I guess. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx