gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
670394 Posts in 26989 Topics by 3939 Members - Latest Member: Anna Lee July 30, 2021, 01:43:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CalSaga at Grammy Museum - 7/10/12  (Read 20444 times)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »

This is amazing. I wish these guys could call themselves the Beach Boys and go on for another 50 years. Like the Four Freshmen.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »

Justin, thank you very, very much for sharing all the audio and video from last night. Well done. Everything about the appearance was incredible. To all of you who attended, I bet you had to have been tremendously moved by the experience? Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2012, 12:09:26 PM »

My pleasure Doc..glad you enjoyed it! 

You know, in thinking about it, yes I was moved by the evening.  But I wondered why exactly it struck me as so special for myself and the few others I talked to as I walked away from the performance. I think part of the reason was that it was a weird collection of confused emotions that we as fans kept locked away much in the same way that Mike Love seems to have done.  When Mike was emotional, we all went there with him.  He needed to get through those emotions and so did we (and all of you who saw the video too).  So it was a little bit of like an emotional cleanse for everyone.  That's what made it so surreal.  We weren't expecting it nor thought we needed it.  But when it happened, it was like "wow, where did this come from??"  as I wipe away a tear.   It was very emotionally satisfying.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »

Thanks for all the links, pictures, videos ! They definitely have a sound

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 12:21:34 PM »

My pleasure Doc..glad you enjoyed it!  

You know, in thinking about it, yes I was moved by the evening.  But I wondered why exactly it struck me as so special for myself and the few others I talked to as I walked away from the performance. I think part of the reason was that it was a weird collection of confused emotions that we as fans kept locked away much in the same way that Mike Love seems to have done.  When Mike was emotional, we all went there with him.  He needed to get through those emotions and so did we (and all of you who saw the video too).  So it was a little bit of like an emotional cleanse for everyone.  That's what made it so surreal.  We weren't expecting it nor thought we needed it.  But when it happened, it was like "wow, where did this come from??"  as I wipe away a tear.   It was very emotionally satisfying.
Man, you hit the nail right on the head. I went through the same thing watching and listening to everything this morning. I was getting glassy-eyed just watching Mike hug Carl B. & Justyn. I came away feeling like some kind of weight had been lifted, so the family must have been floating on air.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »

That was powerful. I almost felt as if I was eavesdropping on a family reunion in their living room (and in a way I was). Thanks for sharing the vid.

Listening to the whole show right now as well - it's a keeper. Just great stuff!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:42:58 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »

Right on--glad you're digging it!  The recording doesn't do them justice--they sounded fantastic in there. 
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »

Thanks for uploading all that stuff, Justin! It's really cool hearing those songs sung by them.

Big ups to Rob Bonfiglio and Billy Hinsche, they are both very good at what they do.

Sad I don't have the money to go see them in Tahoe this weekend. I tried to win tickets but then didn't.  Undecided

No mas, por favor.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »

Nice write-up with quotes from Carnie and Christian:

http://wcbsfm.cbslocal.com/2012/07/11/meet-california-saga-new-band-comprised-of-beach-boys-kids/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »

Wow, very powerful! Extremely emotional; amazing to see this side of Mike Love, but I clould only imagine how he must have felt at this stage in his life, having his kids, and the others, follow in their footsteps so magnificently. And to see Carl and Denny's kids, well, that was just too much. Thank you so much for posting.
Paulos
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »

Thanks for posting the gig, the harmonies sound fantastic, it's nice to hear that Wendy and Carnie can actually sing after hearing the hideous robot voices on 'Dedicated'. So many great things about this, the vocals on 'You Still Believe In Me' are brilliant and hearing 'Anna Lee' live is just the icing on the cake. Also, is that Ambha doing Bruce's parts on California Girls?

EDIT

I only just listened to 'Till I Die, the tag, oh my god, the tag is unfreakingbelievable!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:48:02 PM by Paulos » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »

Thanks for uploading all that stuff, Justin! It's really cool hearing those songs sung by them.

Big ups to Rob Bonfiglio and Billy Hinsche, they are both very good at what they do.

Sad I don't have the money to go see them in Tahoe this weekend. I tried to win tickets but then didn't.  Undecided

You're welcome--I was glad to do it!  You're right...kudos to Rob and Billy, they kept it so simple yet cushioned the group so well.  Really good.  Bummer about Tahoe...maybe some scalpers will be giving them away cheap the day of?? 

Also, is that Ambha doing Bruce's parts on California Girls?

I noticed that too--I believe it is.  How cool is that?  I think you can see Mike get a kick out of that.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »

Thanks for posting the gig, the harmonies sound fantastic, it's nice to hear that Wendy and Carnie can actually sing after hearing the hideous robot voices on 'Dedicated'. So many great things about this, the vocals on 'You Still Believe In Me' are brilliant and hearing 'Anna Lee' live is just the icing on the cake. Also, is that Ambha doing Bruce's parts on California Girls?

EDIT

I only just listened to 'Till I Die, the tag, oh my god, the tag is unfreakingbelievable!

The tag on Till I Die is the same tag as on The Wilson's album

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Paulos
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »

EDIT

I did not know that, have never hear The Wilsons album.
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2012, 04:33:15 PM »

The show was fantastic..so glad I was there. I'd upload video but it looks like it's been covered pretty well by Justin.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2012, 04:36:03 PM »

Just gonna quickly echo what others said before, this was so much more special than what I think any of us were anticipating.

Highlights (aside from the performances and interviews themselves):

- Watching Marilyn nod along with Til I Die, which I would have imagined would be a hard song to listen to for her.

- Mike being the only member of the group to make the impressive effort to come to this celebration of Beach Boys rarities, and not only that, but he sits front row center, right next to what I'm sure was a completely blown away fan.

- Just being in a room full of people who have been touched by the music and people who made it in so many different ways.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »

EDIT

I did not know that, have never hear The Wilsons album.

yeah, no problem.  I'm just saying that at some level Brian probably had a hand in arranging that one...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »

Listening to bits of the CalSaga recording I recalled a very touching moment last night when a person from the audience asked Carl B. to say a few words about his dad's album "Pacific Ocean Blue."  Carl B. admitted that he only listened it for the first time after Dennis died but couldn't get through all of it saying the music is just so raw and so full of emotion--it's hard to get through.  He only recently tried to get back into it again but once again, couldn't get through it without the rush of emotions taking over.  He was visibly upset and began to choke up.  As we moved onto another question, Justyn reached out and rubbed Carl B's shoulder, trying to console him.  The whole evening was just so charged with emotions it was extremely palpable.  So it wasn't just the Mike speech later that brought us to that fragile place...the whole evening with incidences like this with Carl B made it clear that everyone on stage was just an arms length away from the raw emotions that these songs bring.  Quite incredible.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2012, 11:25:06 PM »

I absolutely love the fact that Mike Love, after fifty years, is looking to the future.  Not even just to another tour, or another album, or more of the endless-summer present moment he's been keeping alive for the Beach Boys' decades-long road trip...  but to a whole new generation of his family, who will be able to put all the pain and fighting behind them and just make that music *beautiful*.

For a family which was feuding even in the generation before the boys got together -- those tensions between the Wilson and Love parents which he mentions -- to have reached this place of harmony...  well, it really gives you hope for the human race, doesn't it?  Even if it took a couple of generations to get there.

And Mike?  If you can take those words and feelings you just expressed and put them into a song for the next album...  you will blow so many minds.  *That's* positivity.  That's an album closer that would top "Summer's Gone" right there -- look at the summer after you're gone, and know that those voices are carrying on...

Wow,
Jon Blum
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2012, 12:35:11 AM »

My quick pitch for what might just happen in the next year or so of BB:

New box set and reissues of all albums with some liner notes by members of Cal Saga.

A new Beach Boys album featuring Cal Saga on all of side 2 of the album, including one song that's just them.

A Cal Saga EP or single

Beach Boys Goodbye Tour with Cal Saga in the opening slot.

Cal Saga Album produced by The Beach Boys

Beach Boys retire. Cal Saga takes over touring duties.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2012, 12:46:10 AM »

all extremely doubtful aside from maybe California Saga opening for the Beach Boys on tour next year, if they tour again. I especially doubt "professional celebrity" Carnie Wilson would spend all her time with this band. and Ambha is still in high school.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Nicko1234
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2012, 02:31:27 AM »

I would really like to hear an album of originals from them.

Adam`s song from a few years ago (it may have been called `While you Sleep`) and Carl B`s Touch Your Skin were both impressive. Plus several of the others have done their fair share of songwriting.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Moderation in all things

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2012, 03:51:26 AM »

My hopes for Cal Saga?

That they take wing and do their own thing, prove themselves in their own right and come out from under the shadow of their famous dads.

If they do pick up the BBs baton and run with it, then I hope they're integrated slowly and gradually, not overnight, and as musicians as well as singers.  If The BBs retire tomorrow and CalSaga takes over, then that's the end of the BBs. If the original members play on as long as they can, and their kids are brought in appropriately, fittingly, in their place, gradually, then maybe there's a case for claiming that the BBs are continuing.

Where will Jeff's kids fit in in all this? Does he have kids?

Not keen on CalSaga simply performing their parents' material for the next 30 years…

Who watches the Watchmen?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2012, 06:58:27 AM »

Beach Boys Goodbye Tour with Cal Saga in the opening slot.

Beach Boys retire. Cal Saga takes over touring duties.

There's no need or hurry for the BBs to retire. Heck, they are proving night after night that they still got it. Why would they retire? They can keep going like this until nature says otherwise. Not that it's uncool to think about the next generation, etc.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »

Jeff isn't a Beach    Boy or a member of BRI.  They aren't going to include his kids. They already have a surplus of Bb kids not included.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx