gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
677814 Posts in 27367 Topics by 4046 Members - Latest Member: reecemorgan December 06, 2022, 10:14:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's falsetto  (Read 3709 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »

Brian goes for it, and hits the whole note at around 6:47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2XfKc0iKUQ

Why doesn't he do this more?
It's still in him.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
mjforever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:25:50 PM »

Sounded like he had a little help there .
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 04:27:47 PM »

Well, yeah.
He still did the whole note, on note.
He usually just let's Jeff do it.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 04:39:45 PM »

No, Jeff sang the high note and Brian came in a full second later with the note a major 3rd lower, like he usually does.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »

No, Jeff sang the high note and Brian came in a full second later with the note a major 3rd lower, like he usually does.
yup.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »

yup.

That appears to be what is going on in that video, which is weird cause then there's very surprising moments like this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ORPi7T-uPQ

Just right before Jeff comes in, you can clearly hear how Brian's falsetto sounds in 2012, and it's gosh darn good.. why does he always leaves the job to Foskett then? being "lazy"?
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »

yup.

That appears to be what is going on in that video, which is weird cause then there's very surprising moments like this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ORPi7T-uPQ

Just right before Jeff comes in, you can clearly hear how Brian's falsetto sounds in 2012, and it's gosh darn good.. why does he always leaves the job to Foskett then? being "lazy"?

It looks really difficult for him to hit that note.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 05:05:27 PM »

Really? i thought it came out natural, and obviously no one asked him to do it.. oh well.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »

Really? i thought it came out natural, and obviously no one asked him to do it.. oh well.

Ziggy, I don't agree with you 99 percent of the time, but on this I do.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but on that second video Brian seems to shoot Foskett a look, almost as if to say "zip it, I got this one".   Brian nailed the note, without sounding forced at all - I think he knows he can still do it when he wants to, and perhaps gets a bit annoyed sometimes at needing a crutch.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 05:40:14 PM »

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but on that second video Brian seems to shoot Foskett a look, almost as if to say "zip it, I got this one".   Brian nailed the note, without sounding forced at all - I think he knows he can still do it when he wants to, and perhaps gets a bit annoyed sometimes at needing a crutch.

Not sure about giving a look at Foskett -well, now that you said it..-, but i kinda think the fact he can be a bit annoyed to always be helped is true..
anyway, i think that video is a great example that Brian still has that falsetto and that it naturally comes out whenever he feels like, surprising everyone, including his own band.

Ziggy, I don't agree with you 99 percent of the time, but on this I do.

Hey, i love you too bro Sad
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:49:53 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »

Woah. Saw a similar video and heard him clearly for a brief second. Sound like Brian's still got it has to make a huge effort. My guess is that if he really tries he can do it but at his age he has to really push it. Still it's really impressive and the fact that he tried is good enough. The fact that he even attempted it is a bonus for me!

freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 06:13:25 PM »

I'm no expert on this, but there's quite a few smile era videos on YT where he absolutely nails the falsetto on GV.
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »

Just listened with headphones, and that's not Brian. Brian is singing the lower harmony, he starts to fade in at around 6:50. Listen closely.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »

Yeah, I think in that GV video where he starts the note and then give Jeff a glance as he drops out, that didn't take a huge amount of effort for him. I just think he's inconsistent in hitting those notes, and most of the time he just doesn't bother. He comes in a little ahead of the beat there, perhaps thinking that by doing so, Jeff would hear that he was going for the note, but Jeff's used to covering there, so I'm not surprised that he comes in anyway. He was still going pretty high in the studio on certain songs over the last decade. The bridge on "Saturday Morning in the City", for instance. He goes higher than the GV note on the "Rhapsody in Blue" opening of BWRG, too, right?
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »

That falsetto he is doing in the main part of the chorus of Private life of Bill & Sue is breath-taking. To me, it has that same umm,brokenly beautiful modulating moment  that he invented on Dont worry baby.

i don't know how else to try and describe it. Just dumb-founded at its greatness. Smiley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 07:00:28 AM »

That falsetto he is doing in the main part of the chorus of Private life of Bill & Sue is breath-taking. To me, it has that same umm,brokenly beautiful modulating moment  that he invented on Dont worry baby.

i don't know how else to try and describe it. Just dumb-founded at its greatness. Smiley

"california to mexico" is Jeff.

The oohs are Bruce, to these ears.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 12:02:39 PM »

That's how I hear it aswell.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 07:44:59 PM »

Agreed
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 12:15:23 AM »

Well I bow to superior knowledge. I really hear Brian singing that chorus. I am going to listen again...like I needed an excuse. Thanks guys Smiley

LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 07:43:05 PM »

On re-listening, i go back to my oriiginal contention. The only line that makes me doubt is "dallas texas to mon-te-rey"..Sounds very Brian to these (maybe broken) ears of mine! Whereas "Shelter "is clearly Jeff. Smiley

Well I bow to superior knowledge. I really hear Brian singing that chorus. I am going to listen again...like I needed an excuse. Thanks guys Smiley

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »

Man, Brian's been singing a lot of backgrounds on this tour. So cool to clearly hear him singing a harmony in Shut Down, Don't Back Down, etc.

I wonder if at some point he'll give it a go on a falsetto part on something like Surfer Girl, which he's always done on past BB's tours. Being surrounded by The Beach Boys, I bet he wants to every now and again, as this GV note proves.

That's one thing I love about Brian's live performances. You never know what you're gonna get. He'll sound iffy for half a set, then do an adlib on a note that shows that if he wants to, he can still bring it.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx