gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
678390 Posts in 27405 Topics by 4045 Members - Latest Member: reecemorgan February 03, 2023, 09:47:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need info for the Campfire Sessions TV show  (Read 2472 times)
mjforever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2012, 03:16:52 PM »

Hey guys, does anyone have any info on the campfire tv show from the late 80's early 90s? I occasionally find it on YouTube but it seems to always get deleted. I just downloaded the album off a Beach Boys blog ... nothing too amazing but I will gladly add it to my discography.

Does anyone have an album cover for it? Also, perhaps a review of the show since most I have seen for it is a clip in some documentary?

Thank you!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »

Hey guys, does anyone have any info on the campfire tv show from the late 80's early 90s? I occasionally find it on YouTube but it seems to always get deleted. I just downloaded the album off a Beach Boys blog ... nothing too amazing but I will gladly add it to my discography.

Does anyone have an album cover for it? Also, perhaps a review of the show since most I have seen for it is a clip in some documentary?

Thank you!
It was 1988 or '89. That's all I know.
Any audio of said campfire session is probably ripped from a broadcast recording. It's not an actual album or something, and I've never seen any form of cover art for it.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 03:31:32 PM »

It was actually a type of variety show with guest musical acts and comedians.  There were twelve episodes.  The show was called "Endless Summer."  So, if you want to look for it, that's what the title was.  The Beach Boys segments were mostly the guys sitting around a campfire doing acoustic songs and telling a few short stories.  There are DVD's of that circulating, though I don't have it.  They also did a few full-band songs on the beach.  You can find the full band songs on YouTube, too, including Brian doing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" wearing a suit while Mike wears the most ridiculous pants covered with a watermelon slice print.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »

I have two episodes of the show on VHS. I'm kicking myself for not recording it every week when it was on but I certainly watched it religiously. Variety show would be right since the Beach Boys were only on for about half the program and it was loaded with comedians and other musical acts. One of the shows I have on tape has Amy Grant as a guest (which should give you an idea of what type of musical acts were on it).
I did find it a bit odd that Brian would occasionally do solo spots such as the time when he sang "In My Car" on hi own in front of the touring band while stalking the stage in leather pants! 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 05:53:49 PM »

Summer of 1989.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »

I remember they had The Fabulous Thunderbirds on the show, along with the comic puppetry of Mark Wiener.

BTW, some of the "campfire" segments were used in more than one episode...I know at least one or two songs appeared more than once...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAiqMVTUEb8

From memory it was 45 minutes of dross and 15 of the Beach Boys each week. The Hoff was on once. Camp fire was the highlight each week because of Brian.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:47:32 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 09:04:26 PM »

You could put together a fun low budget DVD of PARTY! mono/stereo/stripped mixes set to cheesy animation/photos/stock footage, and all of the campfire sessions from Endless Summer.  Do a similar session now with the fellas plus Totten and Foskett and you'd have a lazy low effort 2013-14 product with a vaguely similar unifying concept and spirit.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »

Alright I'll just say it....does anyone else think Brian looks like an angry Ted Danson during this era?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »

The whole thing was worth it to hear Brian tell the story about Mike cracking his windshield while they were driving.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 09:36:53 PM »

Alright I'll just say it....does anyone else think Brian looks like an angry Ted Danson during this era?

Yes!  Yes!  What's weird is that Mike, Bruce, Al and Jeff still look pretty much the same, but 2012 Brian looks old enough to be that guy's dad.  Angry
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:38:24 PM by Spil Phector » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 09:43:58 PM »

Yes!  Yes!  What's weird is that Mike, Bruce, Al and Jeff still look pretty much the same, but 2012 Brian looks like that guy's dad.  Angry

It was the plastic surgery he had in those days.  It made him look younger but took away the character of his face that made him look like Brian Wilson.  He looks old now but at least he looks more like himself.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 09:10:39 AM »

All the campfire and studio stuff was filmed in May, 1989 at Universal Studios in Hollywood.  Al of the concert footage was from May 1989 at the Pacific Amphitheater in Costa Mesa, Ca. This was from the second show of the Beach Boys/Chicago Tour that summer.  Brian played a  three song solo set in the middle of the Boys set, doing Love and Mercy, In My Car and Country Feelin's.  Unlike the Brian of today, he was absolutley embarrasingly bad at that show. All Landyized dance moves and shouting into the mic. The Boys left the stage entirely when Brian came out to perform. When Brian's three song set was done, he left the stage and was not seen again that night.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
mjforever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »

All the campfire and studio stuff was filmed in May, 1989 at Universal Studios in Hollywood.  Al of the concert footage was from May 1989 at the Pacific Amphitheater in Costa Mesa, Ca. This was from the second show of the Beach Boys/Chicago Tour that summer.  Brian played a  three song solo set in the middle of the Boys set, doing Love and Mercy, In My Car and Country Feelin's.  Unlike the Brian of today, he was absolutley embarrasingly bad at that show. All Landyized dance moves and shouting into the mic. The Boys left the stage entirely when Brian came out to perform. When Brian's three song set was done, he left the stage and was not seen again that night.

Wow, thanks for the info!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »

The "campfire" scenes were fascinating to watch, but the sound quality was a little shaky. Everybody was just singing these "parts", and it wasn't very cohesive. I remember one particular shot of Al, intimating that the song was all over the place. Brian in particular, while giving a good effort, really stood out, and not in a good way. I do remember a good take of "In My Room" I believe. Jeff Foskett bailed them out most of the time.

That Endless Summer TV show had some fascinating moments. Brian looked great and was always dressed in these fashionable clothes. They showed some old (1960's) film clips. The "In My Car" version that was played was an alternate and maybe better version. If I remember correctly, Brian performed the extra verse of "Love And Mercy". They had this segment with new bands performing for the Beach Boys, then the BB's would have to critique the new band. There were cheerleaders all over the place. There was also a lot of studio overdubbing on the concert vocals, especially Mike's. It was interesting to watch because you never knew what to expect next.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 10:25:54 AM »

Summer of 1989.

Broadcast dates and details

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx