gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
670326 Posts in 26987 Topics by 3937 Members - Latest Member: 3LabsSurfing July 28, 2021, 01:08:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Front Row Center - The Beach Boys Doing It Again  (Read 35008 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »

Right on, Justin. I enjoyed every minute, especially Dave demonstrating his and car's guitar parts for Surfin USA and also the strumming for Surfer girl. The life concert was supplemented with studio (album actually) overdubs or substitutions--that was obvious for the title track, but it sounds like they used as much of the actual recording live as they could, with the sound men likely having botched things and with the BB still unsure of the complex changes of TWGMTR.  Interviews were thoughtful, intimate, informative and warm.  Another great success and joy.

Oh man I forgot that part when Dave demonstrates his guitar parts, solo.  Yup that was excellent!  It was around that part when the show went up a few notches and made me sit up in my chair.  I knew that we were probably going to explore a couple cracks in the story that wasn't talked about before.

How about when Al asked Brian where did the idea for the theremin come from and without hesitation, Brian answered with lightning speed:  "From Carl!"  Mike gasped and did a double take and said "Carl, really??  I never knew that."  "Absolutely" said Brian.  Can't say that I ever knew that either.

But like you said, the program was a joy.  It got you pumped for the tour and got you interested in The Beach Boys all over again.  They did a great job with it!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »

Is the show an hour or an hour and a half? My TV Guide thing slots it in for only an hour, but the description says 87 minutes. I asked this before, sorry if I missed a previous answer.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »

Just an hour.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »

Just an hour.

Thanks. Pledge breaks?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »

...even though they glaze over a few key areas post Pet Sounds!...

That's putting it nicely, they literally skip everything between "Good Vibrations" and the new album....I don't even think "Smile" was mentioned.

Yeah considering how impressed I was with how they presented the story in the first half I was really looking forward how they would tackle everything after Pet Sounds.  They captured the members during some good moments because they were all contributing great segments in their interviews; everyone seemed relaxed and ready to talk.  But the only mention of the drama in the group was when Bruce was explaining the heavy load Brian had to carry saying "He wrote the songs, he arranged them, he produced them, he had to sing them..  No one can take that all on.  If you do--you collapse."  And that was it.  No mention of Brian's breakdown...they move on to another subject. 

Basically, the story they present here is the rated G version.  Fun and sun version of the story for those who don't want to get their hands dirty with the whole, complicated story.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »

Just an hour.

Thanks. Pledge breaks?

Nope!
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »

Fellas, just FYI... this special is not so difficult to come by anymore. Where it rains, it pours.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »

Fellas, just FYI... this special is not so difficult to come by anymore. Where it rains, it pours.

What does that mean? lol

Wait... I think I've cracked the code.  Cool
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:17:15 PM by NatureShowInStereo » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »

Any idea when this will be airing in Pennsylvania? My program guide still doesn't have it listed.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2012, 05:18:55 AM »

Any idea when this will be airing in Pennsylvania? My program guide still doesn't have it listed.
Tonight at 9pm if you are close enough to get NJTV.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2012, 05:53:24 AM »

Thanks, downloading now

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2012, 06:58:35 AM »

Very nice!!
My favorite moments:  Brian plays "Wouldn't It Be Nice" on the piano, the Sunflower-era "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" and, of course, the "Good Vibrations" footage.

EDIT: and the unreleased suite sections!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:02:04 AM by STE » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »

the Sunflower-era "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring"

Best part of the special! Anyone know exactly where this comes from? Looks like a press conference or something.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »

Loved it ! But would have been great to have seen a little bit more of the recent 'sessions' ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »

Best part of the special! Anyone know exactly where this comes from? Looks like a press conference or something.

Looks to me like they are inside a bathtub!

mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »

Overall I liked it, but only in Beach Boys Land could you release a box set to universal critical acclaim and then come out with a documentary 7 months later that avoids the topic (GV notwithstanding, I guess that amazing footage sort of makes up for it)...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »

Overall I liked it, but only in Beach Boys Land could you release a box set to universal critical acclaim and then come out with a documentary 7 months later that avoids the topic (GV notwithstanding, I guess that amazing footage sort of makes up for it)...

Yeah. I'm not a Smile freak who thinks that the Beach Boys are just about Pet Sounds and Smile but I'd really love if they would concentrate more on that. It was a recent hit album !
On the other hand maybe Brian doesn't want the Beach Boys to do it as he finished it with his band. Dunno...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »

Well no, it's great to see more of GV, but it actually doesn't make up for whitewashing Smile out of the story especially in light of the publicity the other band members did when promoting the box set. That series of Smile "Webisodes" on YouTube would suggest Mike, Bruce, and Al thought it was an important enough topic to tell very detailed and specific stories about Smile.

It does not make sense, as Smile is and was a big part of what kept a specific group of fans involved and actively interested in this band's music (and legend) during times when there was a general lack of anything "new" worth buying from The Beach Boys.

Perhaps it would be safe to assume the topic of Smile was raised, talked about in the freewheeling interview portions among the band, perhaps something was even planned to be included, but it got edited out of the final cut. The reasons why, if that is the case, are the mystery.

As if no one would notice the absence of Smile from a career overview... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2012, 12:24:40 PM »

I'll watch it tonight - I'm psyched!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »

I must be slow, naive, and innocent. . . .can't locate any such video without downloading Trojan-corrupted applications to play it. I'll wait for official release of the video; I am just not savvy.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »

Havn't seen this Front Row Center Beach Boys Doing It Again stuff, but are you talking about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so7lsV6i4V4 ?
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2012, 04:22:09 AM »

Havn't seen this Front Row Center Beach Boys Doing It Again stuff, but are you talking about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so7lsV6i4V4 ?

No, different.
In this new clip they are literally sitting and singing inside a bathtub.

BTW, the footage of Bruce producing the re-recording of "She Believes in Love Again" and Jeff re-recording Carl's parts was also interesting to see.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2012, 04:40:22 AM »

No, different.

BTW, the footage of Bruce producing the re-recording of "She Believes in Love Again" and Jeff re-recording Carl's parts was also interesting to see.

Wow this sounds interesting..
havn't checked all the pages of the thread yet but is there a link to rewatch this? i'm not in the USA atm.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2012, 04:45:10 AM »

No, different.

Wow this sounds interesting..
havn't checked all the pages of the thread yet but is there a link to rewatch this? i'm not in the USA atm.

Just type "the beach boys front row center hdtv" into google and you should easily find a download link.

Incredible doc, The Good Vibrations video footage never fails to amaze. When they were talking about the early days Brian seemed really alert and happy which is always good to see.

As for the live footage, I'm not a fan of the choice of venue but they rocked it none the less.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2012, 04:47:25 AM »

Thanks!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx