Time To Get Alone?

<< < (4/7) > >>

lance:
Quote from: Loaf on August 30, 2011, 09:12:17 AM

Can anyone make out those muffled vocals in the right channel of the chorus on the SOT set? Sounds like Brian sometimes, sometimes Marilyn, saying something like "Baby it's time", or "When day is done", or "Candy is fine."

Always thought it was baby its time.

Jeff:
Quote from: Matt Bielewicz on August 30, 2011, 06:03:12 AM

But surely... the 'tag' mentioned above ISN'T a tag. It sounds to me as though it's just the backing vocals from earlier in the track with the instruments and lead vocal mixed out, and spliced onto the end of the song. Pretty easily done if you still have the multitracks with the vocals isolated on their own tracks, and the instruments on others.

All sorts of remixing tricks like this are possible if you still have the multis. This isn't the only place on the Hawthorne set where this kind of stuff is done. The acapella ending to the version of Sail On Sailor on 'Hawthorne' does a similar thing with the vocals. And there's the hidden track at the end of the set with the lovely backing vocals from the 'My Children Were Raised...' section of Heroes and Villains. Surely nobody thinks that these were separately recorded vocal-only pieces in the vault? Instead, they're surely from the multitracks of the original Time To Get Alone, Sail On Sailor and Heroes and Villains recordings, with the instruments and/or lead vocals mixed out where appropriate. I'd lay down good money on it.

MattB

Can't quibble with anything you said.  It didn't really occur to me before that the tag is basically just manufactured, but of course you're right.

It's a little strange that they did this.  While I think most would say that it makes the song better, it takes the song away from being essentially a 1967 version of TTGA (with only the relatively subtle backing vocals being from '68) to one that is much more of a mishmash.

CarlTheVoice:
I'd just like to say that it doesn't matter which version of TTGA I listen to, it is my fave song of all time. Heavenly music and unbelievable harmonies. I'm so glad the boys 'forced' Brian to give them this instead of Redwood getting it.

juggler:
Quote from: CarlTheVoice on September 03, 2011, 12:11:15 PM

I'd just like to say that it doesn't matter which version of TTGA I listen to, it is my fave song of all time. Heavenly music and unbelievable harmonies. I'm so glad the boys 'forced' Brian to give them this instead of Redwood getting it.

Yeah, it's an absolute masterpiece.  Heartbreakingly beautiful.  I could go on and on.   For those fans who think that Brian had "lost it" after Smile's collapse, TTGA proves that months later he still very much "had it"... perhaps more of "it" than ever.  

hypehat:
Cosign.

My personall favourite atm is the Hawthorne version - I prefer that version of the bridge (especially the whistling) and the way the chorus' progress from the solo Brian lead to the full strings and harmonies and whoa. Only thing is the acapella is a little bass-heavy, but then I guess the lead is the top note in that stack and they decided to leave it off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page