gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680845 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 10:29:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - The Bed Years  (Read 28366 times)
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »

[quote 
He has manly man hair.  Lots of guys have hair that women admire, Brian has hair that even MEN admire.  Got to be one of the best heads of hair in music, even at 68 or whatever he's made it to now.  I hope my hair is that cool when i'm old.  Hell, I'm 32 and my hair isn't that cool, damn him.
[/quote]

One of the first things that struck me when I saw the Pet Sounds cover for the first time was Brian's super cool hairstyle.  He looks so well groomed there...hard to imagine years later he let it all go.  I think a great head of hair is important in life lol Unfortunately, mine is starting to thin at 35.  Imagine the money they would make if they came up with say, a stem cell cure, *which is rumored to be around the corner* for baldness/thinning hair. Imagine the stock value of that company!!!!!!

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2011, 08:46:48 PM »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...you can tell how well (or unwell...)Brian is doing by his hair. Almost without fail.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2013, 09:44:12 AM »

Isn't that story supposed to be they go round for dinner, Brian is increasingly scared/awkward until he breaks a plate or something and goes up to his room, whereupon Macca knocks and hears him. Poor guy. That story is so heartbreaking.

No, that's the goldfish bowl/Candice Bergen story, as related by Terry Melcher in the 1971 Rolling Stone 2-fer.

I hate to unearth a really old thread (been reading archives here.. been a huge BB fan for years but never read this site until recently), I know that's annoying. The Brian "Bed" years really fascinate me though.. Actually Brian Wilson in the 70s in general really fascinates me. I can't really find this story anywhere though just by googling, only this thread. Anyone have a transcript? I've never heard about this before.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2013, 07:30:03 PM »

Isn't that story supposed to be they go round for dinner, Brian is increasingly scared/awkward until he breaks a plate or something and goes up to his room, whereupon Macca knocks and hears him. Poor guy. That story is so heartbreaking.

No, that's the goldfish bowl/Candice Bergen story, as related by Terry Melcher in the 1971 Rolling Stone 2-fer.

I hate to unearth a really old thread (been reading archives here.. been a huge BB fan for years but never read this site until recently), I know that's annoying. The Brian "Bed" years really fascinate me though.. Actually Brian Wilson in the 70s in general really fascinates me. I can't really find this story anywhere though just by googling, only this thread. Anyone have a transcript? I've never heard about this before.

The story isn't much, just that Terry was dating Candice and went with her to Dennis Wilson's boat, where they ran into Brian. Brian was so intimidated by meeting the pretty and (then) famous Ms. Bergen that he put a goldfish bowl over his head when he met her, presumably due to shyness. BTW, if you want to read that and any other stories on Brian and the Beach Boys that were printed in "Rolling Stone," you can access all old stories from their website's archives. Some are available for free. All other stories are available if you're a Rolling Stone subscriber (you can get a trial subscription for cheap).
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »

Glad you did bring back this thread.   been awhile since we tossed the bed years around.   

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2013, 02:11:45 AM »

The story isn't much, just that Terry was dating Candice and went with her to Dennis Wilson's boat, where they ran into Brian. Brian was so intimidated by meeting the pretty and (then) famous Ms. Bergen that he put a goldfish bowl over his head when he met her, presumably due to shyness. BTW, if you want to read that and any other stories on Brian and the Beach Boys that were printed in "Rolling Stone," you can access all old stories from their website's archives. Some are available for free. All other stories are available if you're a Rolling Stone subscriber (you can get a trial subscription for cheap).

It was at the Bellagio house - Dennis didn't have his boat in 1971.

But my point was, it was nothing to do with Macca. Yes, picky to the point of being anal but facts should be reported accurately.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:14:29 AM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2013, 08:23:31 AM »

"Brian Wilson-The Bed Years" sounds like a cool title for a cd.. just find a photo of him in bed superimpose (or as the young whipper snappers say in this day and age "Photoshop") some head phones on him and a microphone in his hand or on a stand next to the bed and a keyboard in his lap for the cover and there we go....and put the recordings he did during that time period on it....
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:36:33 AM by joshferrell » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »

Sometimes when you are really high, 20 minutes can feel like an hour (or vice versa) LOL

Same effect when my mom talks to me on the phone. Like right now. Hope she doesn't hear me typing... Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2013, 10:16:39 AM »

Thanks a lot for recanting that story, even if AGD had to correct you a bit. I gotta dig into those archives and look for that story. It seems like Brian really had more insecurity and reclusive problems around that era ( '71 and a year or 2 after) than 74-75 which is when it was widely known he was always "in bed" for 2 or 3 years. Those pictures that circulate of Brian at the Pewter interview and at Keith Moon's birthday party really make me think the same as what someone else here said; he was probably sleeping a lot, but up all night partying too. Who knows, but there's so much info I'm still reading about from the early to mid 70s era.

That's absolutely hilarious.. That could be an interesting compilation idea someone could make though.. Could have a bunch of mostly 71-75 type era songs, including some American Spring stuff.

Sweet Mountain/Tennessee Waltz (since Brian supposedly played everything on the track didn't he?)/ California Feelin Demo/Fairy Tale Music/

A few others I guess, can't really remember much of what is out there right now. It's not much at all obviously.

By the way did Brian co-write that song "Silly Walls"? Never realized how great a song that is and I love the lyrics. I'm really surprised "Shyin Away" wasn't composed by Brian, but maybe it's the production that makes it sound so much like a Brian Wilson song.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:21:50 AM by jcjh20 » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »

BRIAN WILSON - The Bed Years.

Music to snore by.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2013, 11:53:12 AM »

BRIAN WILSON - The Bed Years.

Music to snort by.  Grin

Fixed that for you. Wink

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »

If memory serves me correctly, in the Don Was film, IJWMFTT, Brian says he did 10 years, off and on, of "bedroom scene".
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »

spring 1974           - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me bvs (original)

And I now have a new holy grail to dream about  LOL
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »

spring 1974           - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me bvs (original)
Brian was on that?
On the original bvs - not the released ones.

Literally shocked reading this. Wonder if theres a way to hear this  Smokin

Not according to Bruce, who arranged the session...he says Elton got an all-star cast of Brian, Danny Hutton, Dusty Springfield, Cat Stevens, Gerry Beckley, and himself together to do the backgrounds...all to no avail, as they couldn't get an actual performance out of anyone 'cause they were all to afraid of each other.  So, Bruce did the actual vocals with Carl, Billy, Toni and Daryl while Elton flew off to Japan.  Incidentally, this was Earl Mankey's first session at Brother.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »

I have a pretty interesting story that kinda relates to this topic.
About a year ago when I was first realizing my issues I was really hesitant about
talking to anyone about it, I used music and if you go back you can hear that in some tracks.

Anyway, I had a few days where I was so down I was afraid I was in danger, most people who've dealt
with this know sometimes you don't really want to die, you want to escape, and I feel like that's what Brian
was feeling. During the day he hid from fear, he didn't stay in his room all the time, he just went up when
he was feeling down (fortunate pun...) He still went out at night, he was just dealing with his issues on his own.

Man, I spent two whole weeks in my room straight listening to Pet Sounds and writing... Actually, I listened to A Day In The Life of a Tree for almost a few days on repeat. It's all about getting away from the pain :/

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2013, 12:08:52 AM »

I think the people around Brian may have been exaggerating about him lying in bed for three years straight. It may have seemed like he was, but he still had visitors and went out at night, as pointed out. I have an old Melody Maker book of compiled interviews that I found in a used bookstore. It has an interview with Brian that was done around 1973 or so, the height of his so-called bed period. Brian seemed fairly normal in the interview, playing records for the reporter and being far more articulate than he later became. I'm sure he had problems, but he wasn't doing that badly at times.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »

Thursday April 4 1974

While still in Los Angeles on holiday, Paul and Linda decide to pay a visit to Brian Wilson, the now reclusive member of The Beach Boys, at his Bel Air home. They McCartneys bang on the door for over an hour, but Wilson refuses to let them in. Paul and Linda knew Brian was there, because they could hear him inside quietly crying to himself. With no alternative, Paul and Linda depart from the house and head on their way.

Must have been a REALLy slow day in McCartneyland. I'm hard pressed to think of anytime I'd stand outside banging on someone's door,  for more than an hour.
"Brian, Pretty Please, with coke on top, open the door". 
Nah, I think they might have been there, maybe, 20 minutes...

If they'd just said "pretty please, we have burgers and some birthday cake to share" he would have opened the door.
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »

Add Cruise To Harlem and Just 14 to the Bed Years comp  Smiley

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2013, 09:38:32 PM »

I think the people around Brian may have been exaggerating about him lying in bed for three years straight. It may have seemed like he was, but he still had visitors and went out at night, as pointed out. I have an old Melody Maker book of compiled interviews that I found in a used bookstore. It has an interview with Brian that was done around 1973 or so, the height of his so-called bed period. Brian seemed fairly normal in the interview, playing records for the reporter and being far more articulate than he later became. I'm sure he had problems, but he wasn't doing that badly at times.

I'd love to read that interview, is it available anywhere else?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2013, 11:37:08 PM »

Not seen it online. I'll see if I can scan the version I have that's in a book of collected MM articles.. There's some useful info about Spring.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2013, 03:40:35 AM »

I have a pretty interesting story that kinda relates to this topic.
About a year ago when I was first realizing my issues I was really hesitant about
talking to anyone about it, I used music and if you go back you can hear that in some tracks.

Anyway, I had a few days where I was so down I was afraid I was in danger, most people who've dealt
with this know sometimes you don't really want to die, you want to escape, and I feel like that's what Brian
was feeling. During the day he hid from fear, he didn't stay in his room all the time, he just went up when
he was feeling down (fortunate pun...) He still went out at night, he was just dealing with his issues on his own.

Man, I spent two whole weeks in my room straight listening to Pet Sounds and writing... Actually, I listened to A Day In The Life of a Tree for almost a few days on repeat. It's all about getting away from the pain :/

Appreciate that - many thanks for posting it. I think sometimes that seeing traits you recognise and can relate to in public figures - especially idols - actually helps sort things and bring a little clarity. I've had similar episodes of tuning out of the rest of the world by constantly playing the same music again and again.  Eventually I've found I pass through something and come out the other side in a slightly different shape, usually stronger for it.  Either  music, or a bloody long walk (or both), help that process.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2013, 04:32:52 AM »

I just come here and insult selected posters.  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2013, 05:36:49 AM »

I just come here and insult selected posters.  Grin

… so we go listen to music for a few weeks, then crawl back for more …

Shrug

“We live in divisive times.”
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2013, 06:41:45 AM »

Lessee, mid-1973 - late 1975...

Known recording sessions:

fall 1973                - Ding Dang

3/2/74                   - Brian's Jam (= Shortenin' Bread)/Clangin'
spring 1974           - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me bvs (original)
6/10/74                 - Ding Dang
summer 1974        - Just An Imitation and Why Don't You Try Me
mid-October 1974 - It's OK/Honeycomb
11/4/74                 - Good Timin'/Brian's Tune (= 'dirty' version of Ding Dang) [Caribou ?]
11/5/74                 - Battle Hymn Of The Republic/Child Of Winter [Caribou ?]
11/12/74               - California Feelin'/Lucy Jones [Western]
11/18/74               - Child Of Winter

3/12/75                 - unknown title [RCA]
5/29/75                 - Why Do Fools Fall In Love/Ding Dang/Money Honey [RCA]
spring 1975           - Help Me Rhonda bvs
summer 1975        - Boat to Sail bvs
September 1975   - Back Home
mid-October 1975 - Come To The Sunshine [Sound Factory]

Other stuff:

June 1973 - flies to NYC with Diane after Murry dies

August 1974 - Endless Summer gold disc photoshoot

Not bad for someone who stayed in bed for two years.  Grin

AGD, are you being sarcastic?   Cheesy  Cuz, too me, that doesn't sound like a whole lot of accomplishments.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx