gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:14:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fender Guitar/Beach Boys Radio and TV Ads...Any Surviving Copies?  (Read 806 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:22:22 AM »

Another find from Google...a small blurb in an article mentioned Fender Musical Instruments running radio and TV ads featuring The Beach Boys, Buck Owens, and The TJ Brass. This article was October 1967, and it said Fender started these media campaigns in 1966. Most of us have seen their print ads, reproduced in LLVS among other places, featuring the Beach Boys endorsing Fender products, alongside Bob Dylan and others. And Fender was a very visible brand associated with the Beach Boys since Al was rarely seen without a Fender guitar, the band's backline of amps at least for most appearances was Fender, the Fender reverb tanks were visible on stage as well, and Brian and later Glen and sometimes Bruce usually played a Fender P-Bass.

It's interesting to note that Fender in 1966 sold to CBS, and changed from "Fender Electric Instruments" to "Fender Musical Instruments", so along with a new corporate owner probably came a corporate marketing mentality which would explain Fender's first targeted multimedia campaign appearing at this time.

That's all the obvious stuff...I have never heard nor seen a radio or television ad from Fender featuring the Beach Boys. I'll continue to search airchecks, but I was wondering if anyone has or has heard/seen anything like this through the years, dating from 1966/67.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx