gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 02:02:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Something new and fresh for the Beach Boys 50th  (Read 7030 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 04:02:21 AM »

"the creative people behind Lucky Old Sun…"

You mean Brian and Scotty?

“We live in divisive times.”
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »

I'd pay good money for a song written by Brian Wilson/Scott Benett/Mike Love . 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 07:10:54 PM »

http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/beach-boys-behind-the-hits

With their 50th anniversary now looming, fans have been speculating about a possible re-union which could even include Brian Wilson. “Well, y’know, I just had a conversation last night and due to follow up today with a producer who wants to do a 3D documentary as well as a performance including the Beach Boys. We’re even talking about having some guest artists involved in the performance, celebrating our 50th. There are lots of conversations that are taking place. I’ve had a couple with my cousin Brian about getting into the studio and working together again, which would be a lot of fun I think. There have been many suggestions. I think the Grammy awards next year may have a 50th anniversary recognition for the Beach Boys, and there’s one or two other big events that we have been talking about” explains Mike Love. “There’s been a couple of outreaches too. I think you’ll see some pretty good stuff in 2012 and beyond centred around the Beach Boys 50th. There’s been a lot of conversation but I can’t tell you that on such and such a date we’re going to play here, tour there. We’re working on it but hopefully we’ll be able to announce the main things that we’ll be doing pretty soon
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:51:17 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 07:11:13 AM »

http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/beach-boys-behind-the-hits

With their 50th anniversary now looming, fans have been speculating about a possible re-union which could even include Brian Wilson. “Well, y’know, I just had a conversation last night and due to follow up today with a producer who wants to do a 3D documentary as well as a performance including the Beach Boys. We’re even talking about having some guest artists involved in the performance, celebrating our 50th. There are lots of conversations that are taking place. I’ve had a couple with my cousin Brian about getting into the studio and working together again, which would be a lot of fun I think. There have been many suggestions. I think the Grammy awards next year may have a 50th anniversary recognition for the Beach Boys, and there’s one or two other big events that we have been talking about” explains Mike Love. “There’s been a couple of outreaches too. I think you’ll see some pretty good stuff in 2012 and beyond centred around the Beach Boys 50th. There’s been a lot of conversation but I can’t tell you that on such and such a date we’re going to play here, tour there. We’re working on it but hopefully we’ll be able to announce the main things that we’ll be doing pretty soon

NO GUEST ARTISTS FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE !!!!!!!!

Why doesn't Denny get mentioned ?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:54:47 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 01:19:38 PM »

You know who should really join the band for the 50th?

David Lee Roth.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »

Brian loved David Lee's version of 'CA Girls'
he said he wished he'd come up with the "I dig them girls!" before every chorus.

i think they should totally do something along the lines of the Musicares Tribute to Brian with some well-respected guest artists.
Brian's peers. People like Neil Young, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon... and I'd love to finally hear Merle Haggard's BBs cover.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »

I have lots of trepedation about new ML/BW songs.  One would have to go back over 40 years to find a great collaberation (All I Wanna Do).  Everything since has been drek except "Goin' On" "It's OK".

The post Holland era might have been a lot better if somebody had clued Mike into the fact that the ML/BW magic was gone.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 03:00:19 PM »

Guest stars does not equal 'new and fresh'! More like 'We Are The World' and Live Aid.  The thought of Elton and Macca plus the usual suspects turns me off any project they may come up with.

If a band that has been active in one form or another for 50 years, playing iconic music, needs unrelated guests then its not worth celebrating.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:08:44 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »

Don't understand the harshness towards inviting "special guests" to perform.  What's the big deal?  As long as any special event isn't just overflowing with people, I see no harm in having some considerably big names participate.  Besides, a few special guests could attract interest into a reunion event.  Hate to break it to everyone but the remaining members of the band getting together probably won't spark tremendous interest alone.  No one who attends Beach Boys concerts every year seems to care that Mike Love is the only original member.   And no one outside of Beach Boys fans gave a crap that Al Jardine rejoined Mike and Bruce for the Reagan concert.  So inviting some special guests (and I'm not talking about just Danny Hutton from Three Dog Night) couldn't hurt.

And the "3-d" documentary sounds far more stupid than having special guests perform at a reunion concert.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:27:42 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »

Ok. I'll allow you Stamos as back-up drummer  Roll Eyes and your guests for the Fun Fun Fun encore. Nothing more!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 04:37:07 PM »

Include the cheerleaders too and it's a deal!

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 07:49:19 PM »

New ones or those from the early 90s? Not sure I want to see too much over-hang. Undecided

'Be True To Your School' only! Agreed?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 10:22:23 PM »

Cheerleaders make anything better. 

How anybody can think it's cool that the band sings "Surfer Girl", "Wendy", "California Girls", "Be True To Your School", "Girls on the Beach" etc. and think it's a problem if cheerleaders are on the stage? lol

This is NOT the most serious music ever recorded. 
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 11:54:42 PM »

How anybody can think it's cool that the band sings "Surfer Girl", "Wendy", "California Girls", "Be True To Your School", "Girls on the Beach" etc. and think it's a problem if cheerleaders are on the stage? lol

To think that, for all of my desire for the Beach Boys's music to be as loved and respected by the general public as, say, The Beatles, I am then reminded that they willingly wrote and recorded "Be True To Your School".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 12:40:16 AM »

But then taking this not-so-serious music quite seriously is what BB fandom is mostly about, isn't it? Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned, though I wouldn't expect anything bordering on actual taste from the group's 50th anniversary celebration.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 05:56:16 AM »

But then taking this not-so-serious music quite seriously is what BB fandom is mostly about, isn't it? Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned, though I wouldn't expect anything bordering on actual taste from the group's 50th anniversary celebration.

Well, I guess Brian for one took the music seriously.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2011, 07:18:02 AM »

To think that, for all of my desire for the Beach Boys's music to be as loved and respected by the general public as, say, The Beatles, I am then reminded that they willingly wrote and recorded "Be True To Your School".

I don't see the problem. BTTYS is a classic song. Perfect for the time it was written when school spirit was huge among high school/college students. School spirit gave you something to be proud of.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2011, 09:20:35 PM »

I was out in my garage tonight, alone, my fortress of solitude with my california and beach boys memorabilia and 64 chevy, and my stereo.  I was sorting through and playing my collection of boots, really listening for pieces I might have missed, and I happened on to the rocky pamplin version of California feeling...and decided to put all the versions I have on one playlist.  This song has been tossed about and rererecorded and still not done right.  Al came close recently.  .      For the anniversary,  perhaps they...I mean all of the surviving members, could practice,  rehearse, really step upto the plate, and produce for us the ultimate version of this elusive song and concept.    Get together in a venue and perform some key bb classics and culminate with this song...with feeling and full classic bb harmony.     They aren't going to do a new album.   But to get closure and some truly good vibes is within the realm of possibility.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 12:28:09 AM »

I think at this point a whole new album is a pretty tall order but I could easily see something similar to the Beatles Anthology releases being possible, a career spanning rarities and alternate takes collection (isn't it about time they officialy released one the superior earlier versions of Back Home) with a handful of newly recorded songs. Doing a new and better version of California Feeling is a great idea and they could do something with a Carl Wilson vocal track in the style of Soul Searchin'.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2011, 05:13:55 PM »

I think at this point a whole new album is a pretty tall order but I could easily see something similar to the Beatles Anthology releases being possible, a career spanning rarities and alternate takes collection (isn't it about time they officialy released one the superior earlier versions of Back Home) with a handful of newly recorded songs. Doing a new and better version of California Feeling is a great idea and they could do something with a Carl Wilson vocal track in the style of Soul Searchin'.

Yeah, but didn't they kind of do this already with Endless Harmony and Hawthorne, CA?  Not that I would complain; those albums have easily been the most satisfying Beach Boys releases to come out in the last 15 years.  

But honestly, another version of "California Feelin'"?  Am I the only one who thinks this is a pretty ho-hum song any way you slice it?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:14:54 PM by Awesoman » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx