-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:52:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Is it just me...?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is it just me...?  (Read 33299 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2011, 03:11:56 PM »

seriously? You disagree with me so you think that I'm another member that you guys also didn't like? You were the ones trolling me first AGD misspelled my username in an attempt to get my goat, then Billy C you told me to go off and masturbate. And apparently if I can't take the heat I need to get out of the kitchen, but when you can't, well then I'm obviously this other guy you also didn't like. Seems kind of petty to me.
Truth be told, I've never registered under any other name on this board, and if you think that I have, it only reveals your double standard. If you guys disagree with my theories that's fine, I honestly don't care, but don't goad me and then use my sarcastic response as an excuse to ban me.

I hope this doesn't turn into a witch hunt where you guys think your outing me or something. I've been posting on this board for awhile now and never caused any trouble besides recently posting theories that some members disagreed with. Mind you I never resorted to name calling or insults, which many members actually did, calling me a nutter and other such things.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:20:49 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2011, 03:23:38 PM »

If you guys disagree with my theories that's fine, I honestly don't care, but don't goad me and then use my sarcastic response as an excuse to ban me.

Pot, meet kettle.

You have been a complete prick if someone doesn't agree with you, and you act like your opinions are all that matter. And yeah, for the record, I checked your IP address, and it happened to be extremely close to "nobody's". I dunno, maybe you two live in the same city or something...it's not 100% accurate. In any case, I didn't even notice Andrew's spelling of your username, just your smartass response to his post (which there was nothing wrong with, as it was a difference of opinion).

Mind you I never resorted to name calling or insults,  

Maybe not directly, but you have indeed been acting like a pompous ass. No witchhunt intended, but if you continue acting like a dick, I'll respond in kind.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:25:36 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »

No I haven't been acting like a pompous ass. I never said any of my opinions were the end all be all. Never. In fact, on multiple occasions, I took great pains to explain that I did not believe that everything I said was the definite explanation. In many of my posts I also qualified my ideas, agreeing that they were unlikely and that I was just exploring different possibilities.
I don't know how you can perceive that as acting like a pompous ass, I simply did not ever assert that I was some all knowing eye in the sky that had some special insight. All I wanted to do was remain objective and ask a few questions. This of course was met with a lot of anger, people dismissing me completely, calling me names, making fun of me. I continually took the high road and didn't respond to that stuff "in kind".

Took the time to find a couple of responses people posted to me:
"Just my .02 but that reads like a parody of someone reading way too much into something."
"You remind me of an overly religious person, combing the sacred texts of their creed and extracting meanings never intended (examples: Rastafarians and Jehovahs Witnesses)." (This one's form the great AGD)
"Are you actually aware of the basic premise behind the phrase "Occam's Razor" ?" (Another from AGD. I told AGD that I welcomed his disagreement and asked him to further expand on his argument, but he never did. Who was being the pompous ass? Me or AGD?)
"I had a friend who swore up and down that Hey Jude was about heroin. There was nothing I could say to convince him of how dumb that sounded either."

I dunno, I didn't take comments like that too kindly. They certainly have a lot of attitude. But I always tried to keep an open mind and take things in stride. But for some reason I'm the one being called out. Seems like a double standard.

If you've confused my passionate arguments for arrogance, you're wrong. I was the first to admit that things I was saying weren't totally correct, and made it quite clear I was just throwing different things out there to see what stuck, what had merit and what didn't.

Also, I'm sorry some of my posts seemed sarcastic in this one thread, what, compared to pretty much 90% of the posts somebody like bgas makes? (no offense bgas, just making a point).

My last three posts in this thread, the ones that you deemed inappropriately sarcastic, were only in response to inflammatory remarks made by yourself and agd so really I think it's total bs that you're coming at me as if you're squeaky clean upstanding posters. Just check out the line under AGD's avatar: "shut up, he explained", as if nobody here has ever been put off by AGD's remarks. Give me a break.

I'm sorry if this all comes off as angry, I'm not really that peeved. I just think you guys are being elitists who have been doing what you've accused me of to a much greater degree.

Also for future reference, IPs are not allocated so much by location as they are by organization. The fact that me and another member have similar ips most likely means we both have the same service provider, and does not indicate that we are geographically near one another. So consider that before you just go around banning people in the future.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 04:09:06 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2011, 04:15:29 PM »

I just think you guys are being elitists who have been doing what you've accused me of to a much greater degree.

First time in 16 years on BB boards I've *ever* been accused of being an elitist LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2011, 04:23:28 PM »

You know what, I never cared for Bruce Willis as an actor. Never did anything for me. Carry on boys Grin

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »

LOL

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »

Can't judge a person by his IP address. Anyway, I hate to say it, Fishmonk does have evidence to prove his points...where as everyone is just throwing dog sh*t and insults...or is that the same thing? Either way, everyone cool it...he's singing.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2011, 04:53:17 PM »

Perspective and perception are two very important human elements in evidence in relation to Mr Monk's. The perception I got was that the lyrical interpretations by Mr Monk were unheard of until he revealed them to us on the board.
Mr Monk also in his analysation states that Brian was into this, and reading that. Brian did not write the Lyrics!! Van was a cool hipster on the scene, he took drugs and made it look cool. Van and Brian collaborated under the influence and whilst lyrically Van Dyke was creating imagery and altering the listeners perceptions the metaphors and there sub plots were not as deeply entrenched in the songs meaning. WORDPLAY i think Lennon called it!!
Anyway back to perception... The perception I got was that unless you could understand where Mr Monk was coming from or where he was heading with his analysations then your mind was closed and you were not reading enough into Brian and his brilliant mind. Brian's music is hip and it's happening and part from the few exceptions his lyrical ability aint. Van Dyke wrote the lyrics....

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2011, 05:02:24 PM »

I gotta say. I'm a fan of Fishmonk.

Ever smoke a little something and read his posts, very fun   Cool Guy Cool Guy

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »

I'm a fan of everyone here. I love the BB fan community, and have always tried to be respectful. I know not everything I've suggested is correct. I'm just trying to have a good time and hit on some things I think people may have missed. The only offputting thing is how rude some people have been about it. If you disagree, disagree, I'd love to hear about it but I think a lot of you are being real pissy about it, when I've gone out of my way to make it clear time and again that I know I'm not 100% correct.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:18:02 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »

I'm a fan of everyone here. I love the BB fan community, and have always tried to be respectful. I know not everything I've suggested is correct. I'm just trying to have a good time and hit on some things I think people may have missed. The only offputting thing is how rude some people have been about it. If you disagree, disagree, I'd love to hear about it but I think a lot of you are being real pissy about it, when I've gone out of my way to make it clear time and again that I know I'm not 100% correct.

Thanxx for being my fan; go only knows I need one now and then... 
keep on keeping on.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »

Thanxx for being my fan; go only knows I need one now and then... 
keep on keeping on.

no problem, you're a solid dude bgas.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2011, 05:58:38 PM »

The only offputting thing is how rude some people have been about it. If you disagree, disagree, I'd love to hear about it but I think a lot of you are being real pissy about it, when I've gone out of my way to make it clear time and again that I know I'm not 100% correct.

Not to beat the sh*t out of a dead horse (that makes brown glue LOL )but you haven't made that very clear. That's what started this whole mess. That said...I went back and looked at the original post that set me off in the first place from another thread...it was from Jeff, not you. By itself it wasn't bad, but when you throw in the questioning of me as a BB fan when I wasn't even responding you in the first place, well  that rubbed me the wrong way. In any case, that means all of this was based on a misunderstanding, and I apologize. Please understand though that you are not always clear if you're joking or not.

Also...I'm no Smile literalist, not even close. "Wind Chimes" is a song about Wind Chimes according to VDP himself. AT least that was the case 10 years ago...that might have changed by now LOL

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »

I believe I made it very clear:

"But please, feel free to disagree and tell me all about it."
"I agree with you AGD."
"Alright it's a stretch..."
"Okay I'll be the first to admit that it's less than likely."
"I'm just throwing things out there to see what will stick. I'm sure some things were just jokes. Like the title "Vega-Tables" I think was most likely just Brian encouraging people to pronounce the word in a funny way. As vega-tables and not "vech-tables" as people so often do."
"I'm just going to throw this one out here. This is going to drive some of you nuts, but I was thinking about the actual lyrics of I'm In Great Shape, and if you look closely at them, from a grammar standpoint, they don't quite seem to mean the obvious things that you just assume them to mean. Now I know this is open to interpretation, and not every thing I'm about to say is 100%, but I just wanted to take a closer look at the lyrics."
"But this is just my outlook on SMiLE..."
"I'd love to hear some refutations of the individual points that make up my theories. I'd love to hear some alternate perspectives."

If you were put off by my posts, I'm sorry. But I did indeed take great pains to make it very clear that they were just my own personal ideas, and that I knew not everything I said was definitive. If you think otherwise, all I can say is that you must have missed some of the things I wrote. But to be fair, I was always cool headed, didn't get caught up in some of the rudeness being directed at me, and attempted to approach things humbly with an open mind. So really, I don't think you can put this on my shoulders.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:25:26 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »

Please re-read this part.
.I went back and looked at the original post that set me off in the first place from another thread...it was from Jeff, not you. By itself it wasn't bad, but when you throw in the questioning of me as a BB fan when I wasn't even responding you in the first place, well  that rubbed me the wrong way. In any case, that means all of this was based on a misunderstanding, and I apologize. Please understand though that you are not always clear if you're joking or not.

In any case, I already tried to apologize. :/

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »

seriously? You disagree with me so you think that I'm another member that you guys also didn't like? You were the ones trolling me first AGD misspelled my username in an attempt to get my goat, then Billy C you told me to go off and masturbate. And apparently if I can't take the heat I need to get out of the kitchen, but when you can't, well then I'm obviously this other guy you also didn't like. Seems kind of petty to me.
Truth be told, I've never registered under any other name on this board, and if you think that I have, it only reveals your double standard. If you guys disagree with my theories that's fine, I honestly don't care, but don't goad me and then use my sarcastic response as an excuse to ban me.

I hope this doesn't turn into a witch hunt where you guys think your outing me or something. I've been posting on this board for awhile now and never caused any trouble besides recently posting theories that some members disagreed with. Mind you I never resorted to name calling or insults, which many members actually did, calling me a nutter and other such things.

Can you say, "terminal SOH malfunction" ?   Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2011, 09:58:21 AM »

Just check out the line under AGD's avatar: "shut up, he explained", as if nobody here has ever been put off by AGD's remarks. Give me a break.

Not a fan of Arthur C. Clarke, I see.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »

Just check out the line under AGD's avatar: "shut up, he explained", as if nobody here has ever been put off by AGD's remarks. Give me a break.

Not a fan of Arthur C. Clarke, I see.  Smiley

Did he come up with the Clarke Bar?( Candy ) Shocked

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »

nothin to do with trolling, but "is it just me" or do you find yourself sighing every time there's a new Smile post.
I honestly can't keep up with them all. I need someone to just PM me whenever there's something notable or official from the "big wigs."   Afro

This is all you need to know on the subject:

1 - it will be released this year

2 - whatever is included, someone will bitch about their fave fragment being left off

3 - whatever the CD 1 sequence is, almost everyone will bitch about it being "wrong"...

4 - ... whereas the indisputable fact is, no-one knows what it was going to be anyway. No-one, not even Brian.
Thank you!
I kinda got that vibe...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2011, 02:38:22 PM »

Didn't know there were so many people here that weren't bb fans.

Wow...so you're saying that anybody who does not agree with you is not a BB fan? In that case, thanks for proving my point. I mean, merda, I've spent the last 16 years collecting any BB related recordings that still exist (released and otherwise) and have been on these boards just as long...I went to one of Brian's shows a couple of days after burying my first child...and all this time I thought I was a Beach Boys fan. Huh.

So what does that make me? A Herman's Hermits fan?!
here here!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »

dang, I'm gone since Monday night and I miss half of the season of Sandbox: Is it Just Me...?     Wink
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:56:04 PM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2011, 02:08:58 PM »

This thread just made my day!  Cheesy

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: