gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:15:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile Magazine Ad, Fall 1967  (Read 9361 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 07:50:19 AM »

Surely the oddest thing about all this is that, by December 1967, Smiley Smile wasn't even their "new" LP? Wasn't Wild Honey issued in December? Admittedly, only a couple of months after Smiley, but isn't it odd that Capitol are still promoting their previous LP?

I made sure to mention when posting that first scan about the dating of this magazine issue: Teen Set post-dated by 3 months, which means December's issue featured news and articles from September, which also would have included the death of Brian Epstein and tributes from late August/September.

So at least in the case of the Teen Set ad, the timing and dating adds up, and the issue was in the hands of readers in September when Smiley Smile was new, just like the original Smile ad would have been in readers' hands in January despite the March '67 issue date.

As far as record clubs, to the best of my knowledge, the "hot new releases" were not included in the special offers of any of these clubs as soon as they hit the stores. With BMG's club, up to the end, they didn't really deal in new releases until sometimes months after the album had run its course at the stores, then it could be sold at a discount through the club. It was a way for the labels to sell a title which had run its course as a hot item on the store racks, and still make decent profit doing so.

Meaning the Capitol "Swingers Club..." deal on Smiley Smile, as Bgas mentioned, appeared probably several months after the Teen Set ad when Smiley Smile was a new release.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 08:07:40 AM »

I had no problem with the link, either; but to simplify, here's a nice scan:

Wait a second...sketchbook  Huh

Sketchbook, as in by Frank Holmes.

Oh right. I was thinking it was a blank sketchbook...you know, FOR HIPPIES!  Grin
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 09:07:03 AM »

A few period reviews from Billboard, and part of a Heroes ad. Important to note Billboard was not read by the general public for the most part, so these reviews and ads are targeted to distributors, people who stock jukeboxes, record stores, radio stations, etc. Interesting to read the Gettin Hungry review calling it "an important chart item". I still don't hear it in 2011!  Smiley

7/29/67

7/29/67

9/2/67

And worth noting the week before Heroes appeared in Billboard, the announcement was made about Brother Records and Capitol on the front page, suggesting it was not only major news but also it was promoting the Heroes single on page 1, saying it had already been receiving airplay in some markets. KHJ broke the single in Los Angeles labeling it a "Hitbound" the week of July 12, 1967, 10 days before this front-page announcement.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »

A few period reviews from Billboard, and part of a Heroes ad. Important to note Billboard was not read by the general public for the most part, so these reviews and ads are targeted to distributors, people who stock jukeboxes, record stores, radio stations, etc. Interesting to read the Gettin Hungry review calling it "an important chart item". I still don't hear it in 2011!  Smiley

...And worth noting the week before Heroes appeared in Billboard, the announcement was made about Brother Records and Capitol on the front page, suggesting it was not only major news but also it was promoting the Heroes single on page 1, saying it had already been receiving airplay in some markets. KHJ broke the single in Los Angeles labeling it a "Hitbound" the week of July 12, 1967, 10 days before this front-page announcement.

Along with those ads, I suppose you could add some of capitol's own promo stuff( targeted to , I suppose, the same dealers, reviewers, etc), for the GV, H&V, and GH singles, shown on BBs Starline-site here: 
http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-CapitolRecords%20promo%20items.htm

Surely the oddest thing about all this is that, by December 1967, Smiley Smile wasn't even their "new" LP? Wasn't Wild Honey issued in December? Admittedly, only a couple of months after Smiley, but isn't it odd that Capitol are still promoting their previous LP?

I made sure to mention when posting that first scan about the dating of this magazine issue: Teen Set post-dated by 3 months, which means December's issue featured news and articles from September, which also would have included the death of Brian Epstein and tributes from late August/September.

So at least in the case of the Teen Set ad, the timing and dating adds up, and the issue was in the hands of readers in September when Smiley Smile was new, just like the original Smile ad would have been in readers' hands in January despite the March '67 issue date.

As far as record clubs, to the best of my knowledge, the "hot new releases" were not included in the special offers of any of these clubs as soon as they hit the stores. With BMG's club, up to the end, they didn't really deal in new releases until sometimes months after the album had run its course at the stores, then it could be sold at a discount through the club. It was a way for the labels to sell a title which had run its course as a hot item on the store racks, and still make decent profit doing so.

Meaning the Capitol "Swingers Club..." deal on Smiley Smile, as Bgas mentioned, appeared probably several months after the Teen Set ad when Smiley Smile was a new release.

Yes, I didn't include a specific date, as I'm not sure exactly how the Capitol Club catalogs were mailed; the catalog the first ad came from was coded "7136", which I presume translates to  the 13th  issue for 1967. I'm not certain if the club only had one issue a month, or how their schedule took place. As  most magazines, Teen Set included, were  issued ahead of the printed street date, it's possible that the club mags did the same.  But I wasn't a member, so my knowledge is only what I've been told( and remember).
Past catalogs included: Party, 6036-- This issue has a notice that says the feature of the month will be shipped automatically, if a reply is not received by April 8th. So I presume this code refers to March, 1966; Pet Sounds, 6096-- September 26th receipt date; so it appears the Club runs 3-4 months behind the actual release of the LPs. 
Also,  I noticed that the 2nd Smiley ad I posted is actually from the Canadian KeyNotes and their numbering system is a bit different, more literal, in 6802; translating to February 1968( but of course, when did it actually get to the buyer)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »

Reading these promos (thanks again to everyone!) I wonder if there is another song called "Gettin' hungry" in the vaults that the writers listened to.... Can't be the one on Smiley Smile

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »

Reading these promos (thanks again to everyone!) I wonder if there is another song called "Gettin' hungry" in the vaults that the writers listened to.... Can't be the one on Smiley Smile

It's amazing, isn't it? Gettin Hungry is one of the more weak choices for a single in the whole Beach Boys' catalog from the 60's, at least to my ears nothing but the chorus says "hit single". Yet the "review" suggests it has great chart potential.

I think we're seeing a classic example of Hollywood-style hype and Ballyhoo, where perhaps a powerful entity like Capitol could have paid for, directly or indirectly, a review like that in order to stimulate sales. The kids buying records at Woolworth were not reading Billboard, mostly - so if a distributor in, say, New Jersey needs to order a few thousand records for his jukebox customers, and sees a positive review of Gettin' Hungry, he might order it unheard and sight unseen because Billboard said it was a good bet.

Upon actually hearing Gettin Hungry, that distributor guy might then say "what the f***?" while spitting out his coffee.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »

^ Fantastic post Letsmakeit31!

Interesting that the writer states that "all this time" [since Pet Sounds] "Brian and the boys have been working on their new record, Smiley Smile."  The writer also indicates that Brian "teamed up with pianist Van Dyke Parks to write songs for the album."

In a sense, these statements are true, but I can't help but think that they set fans up for disappointment.  "A year and a half of work, and we get THIS?!" Might have been better if they'd been a bit more honest...  Something like "Brian and the boys worked on Good Vibrations and some other projects for the better part of a year before slapping most of Smiley Smile together in a few weeks at Brian's house. Enjoy!"

"The romantic With Me Tonight and Wonderful...."

Who would have known that the words "don't lick your c***" could be so romantic!  Grin

Though I have to agree with the assessment of With Me Tonight - that is a beautiful song.

Thanks for the scans/uploads! Nice to see something new.

When is this on Wonderful?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »

Oh right. I was thinking it was a blank sketchbook...you know, FOR HIPPIES!  Grin

I always wondered if the Smile booklet would surpass the Beatles' cut outs/pink hazy sleeve from the Sgt. Pepper album. Is there any real concrete info about what was to be in the Smile booklet? I'm thinking it was in the LLVS book somewhere, but it happens to not be within my reach right now.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 12:04:19 PM »

I always wondered if the Smile booklet would surpass the Beatles' cut outs/pink hazy sleeve from the Sgt. Pepper album. Is there any real concrete info about what was to be in the Smile booklet? I'm thinking it was in the LLVS book somewhere, but it happens to not be within my reach right now.

as Real booklets survive, and reproductions are available, it's obviously NOT a mystery...  Maybe you just need to look around a bit more

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »

Interesting that the writer states that "all this time" [since Pet Sounds] "Brian and the boys have been working on their new record, Smiley Smile."  The writer also indicates that Brian "teamed up with pianist Van Dyke Parks to write songs for the album."

In a sense, these statements are true, but I can't help but think that they set fans up for disappointment.  "A year and a half of work, and we get THIS?!" Might have been better if they'd been a bit more honest...  Something like "Brian and the boys worked on Good Vibrations and some other projects for the better part of a year before slapping most of Smiley Smile together in a few weeks at Brian's house. Enjoy!"

Who would have known that the words "don't lick your c***" could be so romantic!  Grin

Though I have to agree with the assessment of With Me Tonight - that is a beautiful song.

AGD more or less answered this on the previous page...  During the "Hey bobba reba" part Brian sings "Don't Think You're God.... Vibrations..." (and if you have a more open or dirty mind  Grin , you might hear something else...)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »

AGD more or less answered this on the previous page...  During the "Hey bobba reba" part Brian sings "Don't Think You're God.... Vibrations..." (and if you have a more open or dirty mind  Grin , you might hear something else...)

yeah, i saw that, I was just wondering at what point in the song did he think he heard it?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »

as Real booklets survive, and reproductions are available, it's obviously NOT a mystery...  Maybe you just need to look around a bit more
damn, i was just wanting to discuss this as a topic and see what other resources others have seen, such as here online.  Undecided

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »

damn, i was just wanting to discuss this as a topic and see what other resources others have seen, such as here online.  Undecided

Well, thing is, there's a lot of concrete info about what was to be in the booklet, as a handful survive and repros exist, thus, not much point in discussing it. We have all the facts to hand.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »

There's probably something better out there, but a quick google search yields this site (displaying a series of small images from the booklet):
http://smiledeli.tripod.com/smbook.html

BTW, if the Smile booklet had been released, would it have been the first time Bruce's name appeared in anywhere in the packaging of a Beach Boys album?  I think he's in some of the photos on the back of Pet Sounds, but I don't believe that his name appears anywhere.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 06:04:50 PM »

There's probably something better out there, but a quick google search yields this site (displaying a series of small images from the booklet):
http://smiledeli.tripod.com/smbook.html

BTW, if the Smile booklet had been released, would it have been the first time Bruce's name appeared in anywhere in the packaging of a Beach Boys album?  I think he's in some of the photos on the back of Pet Sounds, but I don't believe that his name appears anywhere.
thanks, I no longer feel my question is stupid.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 01:03:42 AM »

Perhaps it was this odd version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfM2JklGvsI.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 05:18:30 AM »

Perhaps it was this odd version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfM2JklGvsI.

I kinda like this version by Celebration. At least someone really had some ideas for the arrangemnt asnd production.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 01:36:31 PM »

Bumping this to go along with the excellent Teen Set scans being posted by bgas these past few days. A semi-forgotten Smiley Smile ad that appeared in Teen Set...unfortunately the value may skyrocket on the auction sites once folks find out what is hiding in that issue...sorry... Grin

"Suitable For Framing"

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx