gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680878 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:45:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: meanwhile, back at the ranch...  (Read 1790 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »

it occurs to me, amid all this excitement abouut the smile sessions, that we've forgotten to speculate about what other treats the 50th anniversary might have in store - the Carnegie Hall package, for example; and there's bound to be a compilation featuring Fun, Fun, Fun, Kokomo, GVs and Barbara Ann.

Anyone want to add to the list?

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »

I hope for some good live stuff. Like for example the complete Chicago '65 concert maybe as a double CD with some material from the early 70s. Hell, there should definitely be some concerts from the Blondie/Ricky-era. If there's gonna be more archival releases I hope for "Wouldn't it be nice to live again" and the whole Surf's Up-Audio DVD.
As for other product, Stebbins has a book coming out, which should be a good thing. Brian has his Disneyalbum.

I wonder if maybe now, that they seem to all participate on releasing Smile, they will get beachboyscentral.com working ?!

I kinda have the feeling that some kind of live event will happen. Maybe they'll do some shows and afterwards go back to ther respective careers. But if they are gonna play together, they should start rehearsing right now, so it will be as good as it can be considering the shapes their in.
Will there be a new album ? I don't know. Brian's new album won't feature any origial stuff so maybe he has saved some for the Beach Boys. But at this moment I really don't see it coming. But my opinion might change tomorrow.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
scoop1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:10:07 PM »

Hey Wee Helper

I think a couple of things would be great-:

- a Beatles Anthology type release, three lots of 2-3 disc sets spread over a year, say Anthology 1 would be early to mid 60's, Anthology 2 would be late 60's to mid 70's and then Anthology 3 would be late 70's to say '96 including demo's, home tapes, outtakes, vocal isolations and rehearsals, no live stuff and maybe a new song or two. Really to reclaim all those bootlegs out there as officials.

Then a live box set or separate releases with sets from all eras including '93 unplugged stuff.

I think a big tour would be to much, a couple of well rehearsed smaller shows or  a one off show for tv. No guests except family (sons and daughters), keep it simple and much less of the common hits and delve deeper for some surprise stuff  such as Still A Mystery to show off the great vocal performances.  As much differrent to the prior anniversaries as possible. Not being an expert does Carl's son have any vocal similarities to his dad?

Interesting to hear other opinions if this has not been done prior.

All the best

Scoop :
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »

Not being an expert does Carl's son have any vocal similarities to his dad?

I don't know about Carl's sons, but Mike's son Christian sounds a whole lot like Carl
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:12:39 PM »

Not being an expert does Carl's son have any vocal similarities to his dad?

I don't know about Carl's sons, but Mike's son Christian sounds a whole lot like Carl

yes he does, but with limited range.  Randal and others pick up the higher parts that Carl did for himself.  But he does sing pretty nice.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »

Mike's daughter Hayleigh sounds a whole more like Carl than Christian does, imho -- albeit a distinctly female version. I hear some similarities in Christian's voice, but not that much.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »

Christian sounds much more like Carl in the studio than he does in concert. His voice is not nearly as strong as Carl's was, but he has a bit Carl's timbre.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.