gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 07:18:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frankie Valli or Brian Wilson - who had the better falsetto?  (Read 24669 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:26:31 PM »

What do posters think?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:16:07 AM »

I think you'd get a different answer over at the Four Seasons' board!   LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:40:33 AM »

That's like asking 'Was Dennis Wilson a good drummer' on a BB's board  Wink
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:03:03 AM »

Or which Beatle had the bigger dick on the Hoffman board.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:29:40 AM »

Or which Beatle had the bigger dick on the Hoffman board.

LOL Classic
kirt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:31:06 AM »

Brian, his was smooth and natural. Frankie's was forced and irritating.

Ringo ,you know what they say big nose big..........
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 05:41:41 AM »

This is a question for Watson.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 05:54:25 AM »

Frankie Valli.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 05:59:23 AM »

What do posters think?

Interesting question...

This poster thinks that it is apples and oranges -  because a different "vocal effect" appeared to the goal.  

It seemed, although the falsetto was an integral part of Brian's intended "vocal matrix" that he constructed, and it does not appear that it was intended to overshadow but complement the rest of the voices.  

The "shared lead" concept is brilliant, of the Boys.  (not the Jersey Boys)

But the question asked is whose voice is better, and that too, is a matter of taste...Brian's absolutely...soothing, yet can rock (I Get Around comes to mind.)   Frankie's falsetto is too harsh for the Boys music.   It's just not fabulous!  LOL  

They are a great band but don't hold a candle to the real "masters."   Wink

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:15:07 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 05:59:42 AM »

Four Seasons, you'd better believe it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 06:14:57 AM »

Frankie's falsetto always sounded feminine and at the same time unrefined. Whereas Brian's just sounds clean. I prefer Brian's. (big surprise)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 07:08:03 AM »

Ringo ,you know what they say big nose big..........

Ringo was Richard, not a Dick.

“We live in divisive times.”
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 07:34:32 AM »

Wait wait, we're still talking about falsettos, I hope?  Shocked

I'd take Brian's anyday.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 07:44:46 AM »

This will sound broken-record to many, but this question makes my point that much more distinct.

Brian rarely, if ever, sang in falsetto.  Frankie did, but not as much as people think.  So it's hard to compare, because they're singing in two different ways.  Brian could control the volume of his higher ranger throughout, the tone was well supported, the vocal folds adducted--which is not true falsetto.  Frankie seems to have had to push more the higher he went, but I think the tone is still supported and focused.  As he descends the scale, it may start to sound hooty, in which case the folds are loose and he would be in some sort of falsetto mode.

It's pretty much a semantic thing, but there should be a distinction out there in order to give certain people their due.  Calling anything higher than the break in the voice "falsetto" is like calling everybody who lives in the United States American.  There are Americans living there, but plenty of other nationalities as well.  Likewise, a high voice can be falsetto, but it can also not be.  Brian's high voice is more cultivated than Frankie Valli's, and both are more cultivated than, say, Dean Torrance.  It's a different sound, and that Brian is not singing in falsetto is a credit to his technique--you just have to work harder to sing that way.  See Chuck Britz' quote of admiration where he marvels that Brian could sing high without going into falsetto--I think that sort of backs up what I've been saying for years.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 07:49:13 AM »

So what your saying is something like Brian's vocals in I Get Around are not a falsetto or just select notes? That is incredible if it is true.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 07:54:24 AM »

To me it is a falsetto. Brian was just able to transition (Slide) into it very easily, which not many singers can do.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 07:54:40 AM »

i've wanted to start a thread where we debate when brian is using his falsetto and when he isn't.  Whenever I listen to surfer girl, it sounds like he barely uses it, if at all
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 07:55:20 AM »

Correct.  I mean, we'd have to had stuffed a scope down into his larynx to know for sure, but I suspect the vocal folds are adducted there.

The problem is, in some ways Brian was imitating a falsetto sound without actually being in a falsetto mode.  If he had been trained classically, he would obviously be pronouncing things differently and going for a different resonance, and then we'd hear it and go, "Oh, I see."  
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 08:02:13 AM »

A few links for those interested in this distinction:

http://www.become-a-singing-master.com/head-voice-and-falsetto.html

http://chanteur.net/contribu/index.htm#http://chanteur.net/contribu/cLHfalse.htm

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/falsetto.html

http://www.rockthestagenyc.com/members/movies/candle/

But you can google "head voice falsetto distinction" or somesuch and get a lot back.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 08:08:38 AM »

can you think of any examples of when it's actual falsetto for brian?
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 08:15:42 AM »

This will sound broken-record to many, but this question makes my point that much more distinct.

Brian rarely, if ever, sang in falsetto.  Frankie did, but not as much as people think.  So it's hard to compare, because they're singing in two different ways.  Brian could control the volume of his higher ranger throughout, the tone was well supported, the vocal folds adducted--which is not true falsetto.  Frankie seems to have had to push more the higher he went, but I think the tone is still supported and focused.  As he descends the scale, it may start to sound hooty, in which case the folds are loose and he would be in some sort of falsetto mode.

It's pretty much a semantic thing, but there should be a distinction out there in order to give certain people their due.  Calling anything higher than the break in the voice "falsetto" is like calling everybody who lives in the United States American.  There are Americans living there, but plenty of other nationalities as well.  Likewise, a high voice can be falsetto, but it can also not be.  Brian's high voice is more cultivated than Frankie Valli's, and both are more cultivated than, say, Dean Torrance.  It's a different sound, and that Brian is not singing in falsetto is a credit to his technique--you just have to work harder to sing that way.  See Chuck Britz' quote of admiration where he marvels that Brian could sing high without going into falsetto--I think that sort of backs up what I've been saying for years.

So assuming that, Brian had apparently three different high voices:
Falsetto
False Falsettto -  what we all assume is his Falsetto?
High Chest Voice - like when you yell.

Am I correct?

Can you name any examples of each?

Frankie Valli had a lovely voice, but it was unfortunately more hilarious than beautiful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu74JIvtMc4

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 08:18:41 AM »

I get the distinction - Brian is not busting full falsetto, just singing very, very high, which comes off in the tone of some of his leads - On ballads, he still has the 'croon' inflection and phrasing despite being way up there. An effect from learning from The Freshmen, perhaps?

Some examples of his 'actual' falsetto would be handy - I get the feeling that ball-busting high note he hits on Til I Die during the fade is one.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 08:20:30 AM »

On something like the Wouldn't It Be Nice verses Brian sings pretty high and it is easy to tell not in falsetto IMO...but with something like 'She looks in my eyes...' from Don't Worry Baby, the tone is comparatively different and more suggestive of falsetto to me...

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »

more suggestive of falsetto to me...

Yes, suggestive of, but in my opinion, it sounds that way because he has just skipped up a seventh there, anytime you skip like that the difference in timbres will be evident.

Certainly older Brian had to resort to falsetto because his folds were not as supple, so to speak.  His high stuff on Orange Crate Art is falsetto, I would think.  You can tell because it's hootier.  In falsetto, air is escaping from between the folds, thus "false"-etto, the folds are not really closed.  Try the exercise in that last link I posted and you'll get an idea of the mechanisms involved here.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 08:52:16 AM »

If you watch the Inside Pop solo piano performance of Surf's Up, you hear Brian's voice without any kind of studio processing or trickery. When he hits the impossibly high notes on the word "domino", what voice is he using?

FWIW, I thought Frankie Valli's high falsetto could be very grating and shrill because he used it so damn much! It's similar to a high screaming trumpet player like Maynard Ferguson, or a shredder of a guitarist - sure it's a technical skill, yes it can be really cool and impressive, but some players like Ferguson pound your ears with screaming high notes constantly and it's too much to handle.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Four Seasons especially the production and songwriting, but too much of Frankie Valli belting out high notes can overpower the sometimes brilliant music going on underneath all the faux-streetcorner swagger. I prefer the more mellow, chest-y voice Valli used on later songs, especially "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You", which is a brilliant vocal performance where he doesn't lapse into that falsetto at all, and delivers a powerful vocal over a brilliant arrangement.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx