gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 12:15:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stories of Smile obsession (and BBs Obsession in general), I want to hear them.  (Read 13855 times)
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 06:25:07 AM »

Knowing something that Andrew G Doe didn't know Grin, Which was what was the sound source to a youtube video of "Long Promised Road which I knew the mix had to be from the 5.1. mix from the E.H. DVD, One of the few times my obsession had some use for others LOL
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 07:09:21 AM »

I'm feeling a lot of love in this forum...like an AA meeting for Beach Boys fanatics.

Is it my own bias or is their music so much superior to others in so many ways? Be truthful to me...I know when they suck- they REALLY suck, but when they are on- they are the BEST. I just can't get enough of it.

P.S.... Love You rules.

Great analogy (AA)...sometimes it is better to keep it separate (the passion for the music from the co-workers who roll their eyes...) It is too bad that they don't "get it." You are not likely to convert them.

However, it is a relief for a forum to exist where there are like-minded people, even if one might not agree with one another from time to time.  It is no different from having a passion (rather than the pejorative term "obsession") with the music of Chopin or Mozart, just in a different time frame.  No one makes fun of a Beethoven scholar.  

It is an acquired skill to ignore what others think, and listen to your own drummer.  I have always preferred the company of people who have a "passion" for some interest;  the conversation is always lively, they are always in a learning and growth mode, and enjoy their lives, no matter what.

My favorite place to listen is while driving, and free from others' opinions, loud on the volume and heavy on the bass!

And, you arrive at your destination in a great frame of mind!    Wink

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:13:46 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 07:46:24 AM »

Is it my own bias or is their music so much superior to others in so many ways? Be truthful to me...I know when they suck- they REALLY suck, but when they are on- they are the BEST. I just can't get enough of it.

P.S.... Love You rules.
Here's the thing, though: I'd rather listen to a bad Beach Boys song than a bad song by any other band.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »

Here's the thing, though: I'd rather listen to a bad Beach Boys song than a bad song by any other band.

Unfortunately I'd rather listen to a bad Beach Boys song than a good song by any other band....

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 10:31:02 AM »

Unfortunately I'd rather listen to a bad Beach Boys song than a good song by any other band....

You sir, are a true fan!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »

Listened to every available [to me] SMiLE take a little section at a time, winding and rewinding, doing that deep listening where you put yourself into the "space" and listen around to every instrument, name, voice, comment just to have enough info to figure out what date belonged to what take.

Respect for spending the time to do that. I've considered it, but I'm just not down enough with session dates etc. as it is and would soon get tied in knots.

I avoided the burly record store owner's advances.  But I did stop for a moment and ask myself just how badly I wanted Smile.   Razz

Whoah almost took smile fandom to a whole other level there. I suddenly have a dark vision of a young defenseless Beach Boys fan in a hideous Deliverance–style scene, Swedish Frog playing softly in the background ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »

So how IS your SMiLE essay coming along, Grange?

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2011, 04:03:51 PM »

Like some of the previous posters, I spent hours listening to every available take of every track, taking notes on each one.  I scoured record shows and, later on, the internet for the best quality versions of everything out there.  Eventually I spent just over five years putting together an all-stereo SMiLE mix consisting of all of my favorite moments.  A few years into it, I found the PurpleChick mix, threw up my hands knowing I wouldn't be able to better it, and gave up for a few months.  Eventually I returned to the project as therapy during a divorce, and finished it.  It's still not as good as PurpleChick, but it's a different animal, and it still makes me laugh.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2011, 08:24:15 AM »

My BB obsession has gotten me:
1. Kidnapped and threatend to life
2. Sued for 600.000 USD
3. Tagged by Hells Angels.

Anyone who beats that I'll gladly buy a beer and share stories.

//RD

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2011, 08:38:52 AM »

2. Sued for 600.000 USD

//RD
Hi Brad

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2011, 08:46:02 AM »

2. Sued for 600.000 USD

//RD
But we did have a good time, didn't we?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »

Like some of the previous posters, I spent hours listening to every available take of every track, taking notes on each one.  I scoured record shows and, later on, the internet for the best quality versions of everything out there.  Eventually I spent just over five years putting together an all-stereo SMiLE mix consisting of all of my favorite moments.  A few years into it, I found the PurpleChick mix, threw up my hands knowing I wouldn't be able to better it, and gave up for a few months.  Eventually I returned to the project as therapy during a divorce, and finished it.  It's still not as good as PurpleChick, but it's a different animal, and it still makes me laugh.

Don't sell yourself short. I have two main favorite mixes. And PC isn't one of them. Anytime a friend of mine takes interest in SMiLE the first think I do is burn them a copy of AlternateBrianWilsonPresents SMiLE....I don't even think about PC.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »

2. Sued for 600.000 USD

//RD

We had a great time!!
Didn't the guy sent to the airport hold a sign saying "THE NEAREST FARAWAY PLACE" when picking up a celebrity?

//RD

screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2011, 12:11:40 AM »

Alternate Brian Wilson>Purple Chick.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2011, 12:15:53 AM »

Compiled every bit of session info I could and ended up writing "The Smile File" which came out in 1993. Did numerous cross references and the like to get as comprehensive as a session timeline as was (then) possible. Visited the Bellagio home in 1989 while it was being renovated. Saw first hand the entire house included the remnants of the studio and went up the the section of the roof featured on the Sunflower gatefold. Did a walkthrough tour of Western studios with Andy Paley. Went to the fire station featured in the promo clip. And for the headline act, ran y-split cable from the tape deck machine playing stuff as supplied by hard core LA bootleg mafiosi. Was apparently on the hit list of those fine folk for stealing what they stole. Ah the good old days, or maybe I imagined all of it.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »

2. Sued for 600.000 USD

//RD

We had a great time!!
Didn't the guy sent to the airport hold a sign saying "THE NEAREST FARAWAY PLACE" when picking up a celebrity?

//RD
He sure did. And weren't he and his Hells Angels-chased friend out clubbing with Mr. Love the very next night?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2011, 09:27:48 AM »

Alternate Brian Wilson>Purple Chick.

Thanks.  It's nice to know other people enjoy it, even though I put it together just to have all of my favorite bits in one place.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2011, 01:21:54 PM »

2. Sued for 600.000 USD

//RD

We had a great time!!

//RD
He sure did. And weren't he and his Hells Angels-chased friend out clubbing with Mr. Love the very next night?

Very true! Very fun night too! Odd. But fun. Fun but odd.
//RD

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx