gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:25:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Good Vibrations 40th Anniversary Edition EP

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations 40th Anniversary Edition EP  (Read 7752 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »

Discuss, review and rate the Good Vibrations 40th Anniversary Edition EP, released June 2006.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:34:04 AM »

Thanks for starting this thread.

I bought the GV CD single when it came out in 2006 mostly on impulse. I couldn't convince myself to buy the 40th anniversary PS CD/DVD set (having bought the 1990 CD, the PPS box, and both the 1999 and 2001 twofers) but I could justify the GV CD single because it had, at least, one new track for me (or so I thought), the RARITIES version of "Good Vibrations".

I took the disc home, played it a few times, and forgot about it. The RARITIES mix of "Good Vibrations" didn't seem to contain much I hadn't heard elsewhere (perhaps in lower fidelity) and everything else on the disc seemed like stuff I already had elsewhere (the SS/WH twofer, the GV box, etc). I knew the main advertised benefit of the disc among fans was the first-ever stereo version of the "GV" backing track, but even this seemed only mildly interesting to me.

When all of the "SMILE is really coming this summer!" talk started a few weeks ago, I pulled this single out again, ripped it to MP3, and started listening through my headphones. And quickly realized that I had misjudged this disc. Let's take it track by track.

1. "Good Vibrations (original 45 RPM single version)". While the "original 45 RPM single version" language got me momentarily excited, this is just the same GV track we all know. Nothing to see here.

2. "Good Vibrations (various sessions)". This was the biggest surprise for me on the set. I had assumed that this was no different than the "Various Sessions" on the SS/WH twofer (or heard as part of the 15+ minute track on disc 5 of the GV box). But, unlike the other appearances of this material, this time it's in stereo! I never noticed this until I put on my headphones, and it sounds great. This is the highlight of the disc for me. (I think there is some overlap with the "Stereo Sections" that appear on the HAWTHORNE comp, but it's definitely not 100% overlap).

3. "Good Vibrations (alternate take, unreleased in the U.S.)". I know people will argue that this really had been released in the US before, and diehards had long since picked-up RARITIES, so this wasn't new to them. It is new to me. When I first head it in 2006 I was underwhelmed by it's half-finished nature, and I think I categorized it with the "Early Take" on the SS/WH twofer when it's really a very different version. It definitely rewards repeat listening. I've seen comments elsewhere on this board that this track was sourced from a tape copy of an acetate and required quite a bit of restoration. It isn't pristine but still sounds pretty good -- better than most bootleg representations of similar material.

4. "Good Vibrations (instrumental)". OK, so there's no excuse for not being impressed by this when I first heard it, but it's great, and repeated headphone listening is truly rewarding. When the PSS stereo mix first came out, I emailed Mark Linett and said it was like seeing the Sistine Chapel after it had been cleaned. I feel almost as strongly about this track, even if we don't get the benefit of vocals.

5. "Good Vibrations (live concert rehearsal, 8/25/67)". There are two very similar "Good Vibrations" rehearsals on the ENDLESS HARMONY and HAWTHORNE compilations. This one is from the latter. While I have both of those comps, I've never spent a lot of time listening closely to the version on HAWTHORNE, in part because I assume it was the same track I'd heard on EH! But it's a noticeably slower, more tentative approach at the track, and it's also interesting in how much it differs in approach from the live '66 version heard on Disc 5 of the GV box. Anyway, this '67 rehearsal is easily my favorite non-studio version: Carl's vocal is amazing and the "loping" rhythm on the track really opens it up in an interesting way. I prefer it to the similar EH '68 rehearsal because it is so tentative and delicate; it's really a gorgeous, stripped-down remake of the track.

6. "Let's Go Away For Awhile (original B-Side)". This is the stereo remix from the PSS box, and was the original B-side to the "GV" 45, so I understand why they included it, but it's the least interesting thing here. Given that this is only a CD EP, I would have gladly traded it for a repeat of the GV "Early Take" from the SS/WH twofer, the early stereo GV backing track from the PSS box, the stereo sections from HAWTHORNE, or (best yet) more unreleased "sessions" mixed to stereo! Well, perhaps for the 50th anniversary...

Anyway, after spending a few years thinking I had wasted $7 on this, I'm come to the conclusion that it's a pretty neat little disc (I didn't even mention the artwork/packaging, which is spare but nice) and tracks #2-4 are all terrific additions to my BB collection and my iPod.

I'd be interested to hear other thoughts on this disc (or corrections if I've got any of my discography information wrong).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:18:21 AM by pobbard » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:21:47 PM »

It's not a bad little EP, but it's mainly a collector's item.
Anyway, almost everything here has already been released, so it's not really worth getting unless you're a completist.
3.5 out of 5
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »

According to Mark Linett himself, it is an HDCD disc, though not advertised as one.  Put it in a player with the decoder chip and the HDCD light comes on.  It is worth having to hear the original mono mix and those particular sessions in that format, the processer gives everything a bit more "oomph" and smoothness   Some of those are replicated of course in different pieces on TSS, the CD's of which are also all HDCD.   Of course YMMV.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »

5/5   They should re release Rarities of course but this the best we can do.. I found it in a japan import..
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »

With the proper CD Player,
THIS CD SOUNDS GREAT!
Hearing GV in such quality is worth buying this!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx