gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:00:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CAPITOL/EMI TO RELEASE "GOOD VIBRATIONS"/"HEROES AND VILLAINS" 78 RPM  (Read 57548 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2011, 11:51:14 PM »

The imagination starts to run a bit when I hear that Al is promising "some surprises."   The dream, of course, is that the Smile box will contain some previously unheard gems that will just blow us all away, but trying to keep my expectations in check and not get my hopes up.

Exactly, Juggler. That's the way to be. It's safer not to get the hopes up and not be disappointed. We've heard most of it already, and if there's anything new or alternates that we haven't heard before, it's a bonus. Icing on the cake.

One other thing. I told Al that I've been collecting Beach Boys records since 1970, the same year he did a song with Brian that I really like called "Back Home". He looked at me with a surprised look and said slowly, "Yeeeeaaaaah!" I like that one too!

With many thanks to a poster on this board, I'm lucky enough to have a GV/Heroes 10" too!  Thanks again, RP!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2011, 01:28:32 AM »

No, he was there by himself. Adam came later, but didn't do anything but smile. Al played the first half of Vegetables on a Ukelele, the second half on an acoustic geetar. Spent a lot of time trying to mic the Uke so it could be heard, so there was some stop and go's and a gap while he changed between instruments. He sang the "candy bar wrapper" lyrics in Vegetables, which was cool. I saw a LOT of autographs from well-known band members on that acoustic, so I'm sure he's auctioning it off, along with the white-vinyled singles with 4 BB autographs on it, which I never saw.

There might be more band members playing with him in S.F. today, as I heard that he rehearsed at Red Barn last night.  Another gig is coming up for Al at a music festival in Big Sur in mid-May.

Is Red Barn in SF?  I heard that he was practicing in a studio in SF for the show in Japantown he did today. 
Wish I lived there( at times) so I could get in on these shows!

Red Barn's in Alan's back yard in Big Sur.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2011, 01:30:51 AM »

Al said there's definitely something in the works for a Beach Boys reunion this year, but he can't say anything more.

Really ? His recent track record would indicate otherwise...  unless no-one's told him anything, of course Grin

They are shooting for a July time frame for the Smile Box.  He says there's going to be some surprises on it.

I can believe that.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2011, 01:33:08 AM »

I asked someone who knows an insider working on the project about the Durrie Parks acetates and if they exist, that's all.  The answer was neither yay or nay!   Cry

They exist. I would imagine the credits will indicate if they contained anything useful.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2011, 02:29:42 AM »

I asked someone who knows an insider working on the project about the Durrie Parks acetates and if they exist, that's all.  The answer was neither yay or nay!   Cry

They exist. I would imagine the credits will indicate if they contained anything useful.

Does that mean they've been listened to by Mark & Alan? Nice!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2011, 02:30:13 AM »

"You're right, Hype!  I was thinking of you guys when I was there.  Knew if I asked Al about Zen in relation to SMiLE, the fans there would have booted my ass to the back of the line!  

Talked to some old Bay Area fans there; Panaiotis and Mutedtrumpeterswan (he's the one who requested "Lookin' At Tomorrow") who post here sometimes as Al was about to end the thing. Les Chan couldn't make it I guess. Les? Where were you?

Al's son Adam showed up late but didn't contribute.  Al was looking for some counterpoint and harmony parts for "Don't Fight The Sea" but just winged it on his own.  Said Brian and Mike recorded and "flew in" the parts for the version of the song for his solo album. Al had trouble hitting the high notes, but he's forgiven at what, 68 years old? He was VERY positive and upbeat, very comfortable, and told a couple of good stories.

There were 3 or 4 guys there with pro cameras and others with cell phones taking pictures, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Berkeley and/or San Francisco gigs today are on YouTube or Al's Facebook thing."

Thanks for that,  Mikie!  Cheesy
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2011, 02:31:57 AM »

Does that mean they've been listened to by Mark & Alan? Nice!

It means they exist. VDP confirmed that to me many, many years ago.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2011, 05:59:47 AM »

Hope this link takes you to a pic of the rear sleeve -  someone might recognise the source of the artwork.

http://www.hhv.de/index.php?rid=233612&cid=1126028191&action=changeLanguage&lang=en#

“We live in divisive times.”
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2011, 06:29:57 AM »

So how long until we get some BBs on wax cylinder?!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2011, 06:31:19 AM »

Only 364 more days until next Record Store Day....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2011, 07:52:04 AM »

You're welcome, Smilin' Ed.  Sorry I don't have more to say about the gig - Al only did 3 songs and they were partials at that. But what he did play was cool in an intimate setting, kind of an improptu thing for the fans.  I was standing off to the side about 6 feet away, which made it even neater, and gave me a chance to ask questions before and after the gig.

AGD, Al seemed pretty sure of himself regarding a reunion.  He was right when he leaked the news about SMiLE, so here's hoping......  By the way, your name came up during discussions amongst members of the fan base community here, Andrew.  Seems you're a very popular guy on these message boards........   Grin

A fellow collector just informed me that he heard there were 7,000 of these singles pressed.  So before you spend a lot of cash, search around first, guys!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2011, 08:16:34 AM »

A fellow collector just informed me that he heard there were 7,000 of these singles pressed.  So before you spend a lot of cash, search around first, guys!

That was my plan as well. I'd really want a copy in my collection. But the current prices of most offers on Ebay are ridiculous.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2011, 08:21:22 AM »

I caved when I got home last night and bought one on eBay.  $32.99, plus $4 shipping.  I may have been able get one  cheaper by bidding, but I don't have the time or patience.  I don't think I'll regret this purchase.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2011, 08:34:12 AM »

Funny; I've seen quotes from a UK seller that "only 500 were made, but I have # 543 , so how is that possible?" . 
Seen the 7000 number for worldwide, but also seen one numbered 7473 or some such, so I'm guessing there's probably more like 8000. 
Lot of em on ebay. Take the time to put in a bid for your top dollar, and forget about it; if you win, great! I think the crazy people offering them for 80 or 100 or 350 will be bring their prices  down when they don't sell...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2011, 08:36:09 AM »

I think the UK only got 500, from what I heard.

Oh, and I'm bidding on one now, so if any of you bastards beat me to it....  

Dammit!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:20:14 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »

Bought one!

Paid 31 bucks for it though, ugh, it's worth it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »

If you outbid me.... Angry

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »

Ha, no it wasn't on ebay.

Already been outbid a couple of times on there, I gave up.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »

Haha, ok. Where did you pick yours up? Been outbid twice today  Angry

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »

Well I tried a lot of UK/Ireland stores online but they were all sold out.

So I came across this site called http://www.discorder.com/, they have it for 10.99, sadly they charged me an arm and a leg for shipping.

Got it anyway, just wanted to buy it and get it out of the way.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2011, 01:15:15 PM »

Did nobody post pictures of the artwork (or the disc, but none of you guys have opened them yet  Grin) or did I just miss the post?

I wanted to drive the hour to Berkeley to pick one of these up but I had to spend all my money on books for school.

No mas, por favor.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »

Did nobody post pictures of the artwork (or the disc, but none of you guys have opened them yet  Grin) or did I just miss the post?

I wanted to drive the hour to Berkeley to pick one of these up but I had to spend all my money on books for school.

Books for school?!  Some folks just don't have their priorities in order.   Wink

I also have a question about the artwork.  On pictures of the red-on-white "SMiLE coming soon" insert, there appears to be something written below the Capitol logo.  What is it?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »

From what I've heard, it would have been a wasted trip; they went fast, and all apparently to people who wanted them to sell on Ebay.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:56:53 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Turtle_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »

The writting under the Capitol logo is the serial no. 509990 98341 18

The serial no. of the 78rpm is the same: 509990 98341 18
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2011, 01:53:15 PM »

Picked up this release in Tower Records Dublin this morning.

Cannot play it yet because don't have a 78rpm player so don't know how it sounds.

It's got a card inside with the message in red on a white background "SMiLE coming soon". Unlike the back cover, the typeface of the word smile is the same as the Frank Holmes album cover.

The words in the grooves:

Side A: Jump in the pig pen
Side B: Next time I'll take my shoes off
Side C: Hit the dirt, do two and a half
Sied D: Next time I'll leave my hat on.

No. 720

Hi Turtle_13,

Just noticed something in the lyric on side C... does it say "do two and a half" or "do a two and a half"?  no "a"?

Thanks

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx