gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 06:12:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson documentary to replay on BBC TV tomorrow  (Read 7024 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2011, 03:17:11 PM »

The Dennis Wilson documentary film - The Real Beach Boy will air again tomorrow night on BBC4. This is the 4th airing of the show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r0t24

Also FYI the DW doc. was nominated for a Royal Television Society Award (Best Documentary, Northern Region). It eventually lost to another documentary.

http://realscreen.com/2010/10/12/rts_northwest-20101012/?word=productions

http://visionandmediatv.com/NewsDetail/Royal_Television_Society_North_West_Awards__Shortlist_Announced/2341/67.aspx
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »

I guess tomorrow in the UK is now. The film is running on BBC4 presently.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:44:25 AM »

You can also download it for viewing: after 30 days it expires. (This is in the UK and, probably, Europe - USA could well be a different matter)

If you've not seen it yet, stop what you're doing now and clear 60 minutes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »

I could not download it here in the USA.
But I did find it on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClBfaGPD0mI
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: I wish they would release this on DVD. It is too good of a documentary...one of my absolute favourites.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:25:17 AM »

Hi Jon, I loved the show. Any chance of a DVD release with a second disc of interviews, bonus footage of Dennis in the studio etc etc etc?
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »

Pretty sure Jon has mentioned before that a DVD release is highly unlikely, owing to the cost of licensing the music on this side of the Atlantic...  That had a lot to do with all of us getting involved with the BBC for this venture.  That, and the fantastic job we all felt Matt O'Casey did with the earlier documentary we worked with him and the BBC on, called "Wouldn't It Be Nice".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »

"Dennis Wilson was the drummer in the Beach Boys. And he was the real Beach Boy. In a band of geeks who sang about surfing, cars and girls, Dennis was the only one who surfed, the one who drove hot rod cars in competition and the one who got all the girls."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00r0t24/Legends_Dennis_Wilson_The_Real_Beach_Boy/

Really good documentary, but do they really have to plug it that way...?

Besides, they may not have been part of the surfing sub-culture like Dennis, but didn't Mike and Al surf? Wouldn't it be less likely that they didn't?  What about David?  Okay, so he wasn't with the Boys at the time, but we know Bruce surfed too - still does, maybe?

Back to the documentary... if you haven't seen it, go to BBC iPlayer or YouTube - you're in for a treat.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 11:02:19 AM »

"Dennis Wilson was the drummer in the Beach Boys. And he was the real Beach Boy. In a band of geeks who sang about surfing, cars and girls, Dennis was the only one who surfed, the one who drove hot rod cars in competition and the one who got all the girls."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00r0t24/Legends_Dennis_Wilson_The_Real_Beach_Boy/

Really good documentary, but do they really have to plug it that way...?

Besides, they may not have been part of the surfing sub-culture like Dennis, but didn't Mike and Al surf? Wouldn't it be less likely that they didn't?  What about David?  Okay, so he wasn't with the Boys at the time, but we know Bruce surfed too - still does, maybe?

Back to the documentary... if you haven't seen it, go to BBC iPlayer or YouTube - you're in for a treat.
Thanks for the nice words. BTW...As they gained fame the Beach Boys promoted themselves that way, saying Dennis was the only surfer. if you go back and look at their press releases and magazine articles from the period, it was always mentioned that Dennis was the only "real" surfer in the group. Bruce was not in the band yet when they were making surfing records and promoting themselves that way, Dave and Al tried it but never got into it, Carl hated the water, Brian..no way, we never heard that Mike was a surfer until the late '60's or early '70's right? Show me something from the BB's "surfing" period that says any of them other than Dennis actively surfed. It doesn't exist. So yeah, the plug is over the top, but really its part of the established lore, and at least somewhat true. To me the revisionist element is the others now saying "but we surfed too".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »

So you reckon Mike's Do It Again quote was trading on nostalgia the same way the sentiments of the song were?  Interesting. I'd always wondered about that. I guess at that time he was in the business of reinventing himself.  Nothing wrong with that, of course. Dylan did (does) it regularly.

My main objection was the use of the word 'geeks.' You know, in the early 60s, they didn't look like 'geeks.'
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »

Just finished watching it (on YouTube — kinda annoying to see it in 10-minute sections, but...), and loved it — very well done, Jon, and others!

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
kirt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »

It's a great documentary. It was cool seeing Dennis waxing up his surfboard in the early 60's, my daughter especially liked that part ...ha
 It's good to put faces and voices to some of the people Dennis worked with and seeing David, Jon and Eddie!

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »

Just watched it on youtube (never caught it before), good concise account of Dennis' life and times, very moving
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »

Why is Jon Stebbins wearing sunglasses as he is interviewed inside a building?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 06:33:26 PM »

Yeah, nobody's ever done that before.  Huh
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »

Well at least we know what the "real" Jon Stebbins looks like.  Good documentary.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 09:10:27 AM »

Yeah, nobody's ever done that before.  Huh
[/quote]

This guy did it too:  Cool

Jon, next time:  3D

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 10:26:22 AM »

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: I wish they would release this on DVD. It is too good of a documentary...one of my absolute favourites.

it's not that hard to make you own....  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »

sorry for bumping an old topic but i saw this doco for the first time last night

i thought it was excellent and gave a great insight into DW's life.

the part where hes singing 'YASB' and his voice is shot is heartbreaking

but definately great viewing

congrats to all involved

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
Jason
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »

You've never seen a guy named Roy Orbison, have you? Smiley
MBE
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:35 PM »

Jon those two are the most honest films done on the group. I have a region free DVD player so if they ever do come out anywhere I will be the first to buy one!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 11:18:25 PM »

You've never seen a guy named Roy Orbison, have you? Smiley
Or Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »

It's a very good doc, this. Mark Radcliffe (who is a popular DJ over here in the UK) is a very good narrator. I also recommend to those of you who haven't seen the BBC's doc on Pet Sounds from about 7 or 8 years back. Can't remember the title, but it was presented by Mark Lamarr. Worth seeking out. The BBC rock!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 01:28:04 AM »

The thing that makes this a great documentary, and the thing that makes it stand out above most, is the honesty of it. Especially the scene where Blondie is talking about seeing Dennis for the last time and not even recognising him. The scene with Ed Roach at the exact location where it happened is heartbreaking.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 01:45:47 AM »

It's a very good doc, this. Mark Radcliffe (who is a popular DJ over here in the UK) is a very good narrator. I also recommend to those of you who haven't seen the BBC's doc on Pet Sounds from about 7 or 8 years back. Can't remember the title, but it was presented by Mark Lamarr. Worth seeking out. The BBC rock!

Art That Shook The World - The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, 2002.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx