gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:50:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Girls  (Read 5553 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »

From Wiki.

Stebbins was a member of a music band called 'The Point' which was active on the Los Angeles club circuit from 1979 to 1985. [1] The Point were often described as part of L.A.'s psychedelic revival scene known as the Paisley Underground. They released a self-titled four song EP in 1981 that was described by the L.A. Times as having a "purity of intent that recalls the haunting resonance of pre-psychedelic Northern California groups like The Beau Brummels."

The Point released a full length album in 1983 called Magic Circle, (not to be confused with the 2005 album of the same title by Wizard.) The record was produced by Vitus Matare of The Last and recorded at Radio Tokyo studio in Venice, California and released on the Warfrat label. Magic Circle was also released in Europe in 1984 on the Lolita label. One of its songs, "All My Life" which was co-written by Stebbins and co-guitarist/vocalist Tom Alford, was included in a 2006 episode of the Gilmore Girls television show.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 02:09:30 PM »

From Wiki.

Stebbins was a member of a music band called 'The Point' which was active on the Los Angeles club circuit from 1979 to 1985. [1] The Point were often described as part of L.A.'s psychedelic revival scene known as the Paisley Underground. They released a self-titled four song EP in 1981 that was described by the L.A. Times as having a "purity of intent that recalls the haunting resonance of pre-psychedelic Northern California groups like The Beau Brummels."

The Point released a full length album in 1983 called Magic Circle, (not to be confused with the 2005 album of the same title by Wizard.) The record was produced by Vitus Matare of The Last and recorded at Radio Tokyo studio in Venice, California and released on the Warfrat label. Magic Circle was also released in Europe in 1984 on the Lolita label. One of its songs, "All My Life" which was co-written by Stebbins and co-guitarist/vocalist Tom Alford, was included in a 2006 episode of the Gilmore Girls television show.

Thanxx! 
Tho I probably should have helped to line AGD's pockets and simply gone to google... ( silly Me)   Grin

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:14 AM »

I still think it is the biggest rip-off for iTunes to pay the artist roughly one cent for every download which costs buyers 99 cents to 1.29. But that's the modern age.

I think the recording artist gets roughly 10 cents per downloaded iTunes track, or roughly a dollar for a downloaded album.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »

But to go back to the orginal question...
David Lee Roths version features Carl on backing vocals... which in my world counts as a permission good as any!
//RD

And Brian is a fan of Roth's version and in concert even let Foskett sing a "I dig the girls....whao" in DLR's style.

I wonder how much pain it is for Brian (and Mike) not to own the songs. Don't know how many of you know about John Fogerty's case, but he didn't own his songs for what.... 30 years...? And he was very hurt, had mental problems (I guess depression) and didn't play them live for a long time.

I forget the ins and outs of the story, but as CCR's acting manager didn't Fogerty shoot himself in the foot on many of the groups financial aspects?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 11:05:27 AM »

But to go back to the orginal question...
David Lee Roths version features Carl on backing vocals... which in my world counts as a permission good as any!
//RD

And Brian is a fan of Roth's version and in concert even let Foskett sing a "I dig the girls....whao" in DLR's style.

I wonder how much pain it is for Brian (and Mike) not to own the songs. Don't know how many of you know about John Fogerty's case, but he didn't own his songs for what.... 30 years...? And he was very hurt, had mental problems (I guess depression) and didn't play them live for a long time.

I forget the ins and outs of the story, but as CCR's acting manager didn't Fogerty shoot himself in the foot on many of the groups financial aspects?

Oh yes he did. He was in his early twenties when he signed to Fantasy and signed an adhesion contract. He only was allowed to leave Fantasy when he gave up the rights to his songs (that's how I remember it)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 05:10:14 PM »

I'm a fan of David Lee Roth so I've done some research on this. I read somewhere (most likely one of the Roth or Van Halen sites that I've frequented over the years) that Brian received around $500,000 in royalties because of the cover's success.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:11:35 PM by Morgan » Logged

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 07:41:44 AM »

As a huge Van Halen fan I came across this some time ago.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx