gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680827 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:35:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower outtakes?  (Read 9146 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »

I realized that Sunflower doesn't take up much of a CD, so I thought I'd burn a 'complete' version with all the rejects from that album...  Are there any I'm missing?

*  Loop De Loop
*  San Miguel
*  Walkin'
*  Games Two Can Play
*  When Girls Get Together
*  Tears In The Morning  [original, from 'Sun Flower']
*  Back Home
*  Fallin' In Love (Lady)
*  I Just Got My Pay
*  Carnival
*  Susie Cincinnati
*  Good Time
*  Take A Load Off Your Feet  [original, from 'Landlocked']
*  I'm Going Your Way
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »

Doesn't Soulful Old Man Sunshine stem from sunflower sessions? I always whack breakaway with sunflower as well - not sure if that's wrong though.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jason
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »

Let's consider the "Sunflower period" to be from January of 1969 (first Forever sessions) to July of 1970 (master assembled). So you can add Soulful Old Man Sunshine, Break Away, Celebrate the News, Cotton Fields, and, from 2/24 and 5/24/69 there's a track recorded called What Can The Matter Be?, a demo of 'Til I Die from 11/6/69, the oft-referenced Where Is She? from November of '69 (this exists in fragments a la Can't Wait Too Long), and You Never Give Me Your Money from 1/7/70.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »

Let's consider the "Sunflower period" to be from January of 1969 (first Forever sessions) to July of 1970 (master assembled). So you can add Soulful Old Man Sunshine, Break Away, Celebrate the News, Cotton Fields, and, from 2/24 and 5/24/69 there's a track recorded called What Can The Matter Be?, a demo of 'Til I Die from 11/6/69, the oft-referenced Where Is She? from November of '69 (this exists in fragments a la Can't Wait Too Long), and You Never Give Me Your Money from 1/7/70.

Yeah, I  read that in an article somewhere...  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:53:20 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »

Am I reading this right? parts of Where is She is on fragments of Can't Wait Too Long?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%C3%A0_la#French
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:02:34 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 04:01:35 PM »

'Won't You Tell Me' is from that era as well... love this one.
Jason
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »

'Won't You Tell Me' is from that era as well... love this one.

Nope...but good song, though.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »

more Surf's Up-era?

ehh. close enough.
plus its by Rick Henn, so it goes well with Soulful Old Man
Jason
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 04:25:04 PM »

Recorded by the Sunrays in early 1971, then overdubbed with Beach Boys vocals on 6/19/71.

Source for this and my last post is (he's obviously pissed) AGD.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 05:12:23 PM »

Where is this "Where Is She?" existing in fragments business coming from? I never heard anything about this.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 05:21:41 PM »

Pissed in the American sense means one thing--angry, furious being examples. Rather, in the English sense it means something else entirely...I don't doubt AGD's been that a few times Grin Grin

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 05:43:33 PM »

Source for this and my last post is (he's obviously pissed) AGD.

So what else is new? He's always pissed at anybody, anything, and everything!  Gets old after awhile, dudinit?  

And use his statements and information from his web site (public domain) at will!  Shouldn't have to credit him and kiss his butt every effing time you post something here, eh?  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:49:56 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »

Yeah, but "Break Away" and "Celebrate The News" would feel out of place, since they ended up as 20/20 single tracks.  (And they're on the CD version.)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 06:12:57 PM »

.......And wasn't there another song recorded called "Raspberries & Strawberries"?  Also, the alternate version of "Add Some Music To Your Day" with different lyrics which I asuume was an early version of the song.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 06:30:14 PM »

.......And wasn't there another song recorded called "Raspberries & Strawberries"? 
That was used, I believe, as the backing track to "At My Window."

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 07:13:55 PM »

.......And wasn't there another song recorded called "Raspberries & Strawberries"? 
That was used, I believe, as the backing track to "At My Window."
With a title like that, why am I not surprised?  Roll Eyes
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »

Mikie: The fact that something is on a website does not make it public domain. People have been sued for money and lost thinking that. It's no different than saying that because a book is in a library, you can simply use its words and information and pass them off as your own.

The web is simply another platform for publishing, and AGD owns the content he wrote on his website. It is simple courtesy to credit him.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:52:09 PM by Wirestone » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 08:16:18 PM »

Mikie: The fact that something is on a website does not make it public domain. People have been sued for money and lost thinking that. It's no different than saying that because a book is in a library, you can simply use its words and information and pass them off as your own.

The web is simply another platform for publishing, and AGD owns the content he wrote on his website. It is simple courtesy to credit him.

Yes, I can see Crediting AGD, if for no other reason than he's ours, and we want him to stay;
But stuff from books?  why the heck not?, that's free picking as long as they don't catch on... Shocked

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 08:37:05 PM »

Shouldn't have to credit him and kiss his butt every effing time you post something here, eh?
citing a source isnt really kissing someones butt, it's just giving credit where it is due. Ethics.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 08:58:57 PM »

Mikie: The fact that something is on a website does not make it public domain.

AGD's site has been my 'public domain' for years and years and years, Mr. Wirestone. And I've taken recording dates, names, song titles, etc. and reposted some of it on two different message boards for a very long time. Don't think he's ever called me on it, ever. And after all these years, I say thanks, AGD!! Please don't sue me, K?   Roll Eyes

Ethics. Sure, I have ethics. I'm very ethical. I'm being ethical right now for admitting that I stole information from Andrew's site and reposted it on a couple of Beach Boys message boards, mostly for the benefit of others and not for myself.  And I just thanked Mr. Doe for that too. I think that's ethical.

P.S. And I've never kissed his butt!!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:04:04 PM by Mikie » Logged

ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 12:53:20 AM »

Soulful Old Man Sunshine is my fave beach boys not-track and the fact that they could make that whole thing and just not bother releasing it, despite it being such a ridiculously great song just proves that the beach boys had the greatest conflict between being sheer geniuses, and being total reatrds ever. That they would put out Take a Load Off Your Feet and NOT Soulful Old Man Sunchine just shows they weren't operating ever on anything normal humans can judge.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 02:13:38 AM »

P.S. And I've never kissed his butt!!!

Don't believe I'm not eternally grateful.  Grin

The content I wrote is mine - I try to credit everyone else I ripped off for the remaining 90% or so.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 02:16:04 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 02:20:09 AM »

Soulful Old Man Sunshine is my fave beach boys not-track and the fact that they could make that whole thing and just not bother releasing it, despite it being such a ridiculously great song just proves that the beach boys had the greatest conflict between being sheer geniuses, and being total reatrds ever. That they would put out Take a Load Off Your Feet and NOT Soulful Old Man Sunchine just shows they weren't operating ever on anything normal humans can judge.

They didn't 'make the whole thing' - after a couple of vocal sessions, they walked away from it in 1969. The version we have is the product of a finished track tape, a couple of bv sessions, a scratch lead from Carl and some expert compiling by Mark in 1992 or thereabouts (or so I was given to understand at the time). So... couldn't release it in 1969-1991 as it only existed in pieces.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 03:31:02 AM »

They didn't 'make the whole thing' - after a couple of vocal sessions, they walked away from it in 1969. The version we have is the product of a finished track tape, a couple of bv sessions, a scratch lead from Carl and some expert compiling by Mark in 1992 or thereabouts (or so I was given to understand at the time). So... couldn't release it in 1969-1991 as it only existed in pieces.
So is the version of SOMS on Landlocked boots the "version" from back in the Sunflower era or the one from EH?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx