gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 01:10:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Hard Times" guitar solo  (Read 2803 times)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:42:15 PM »

Anybody here know who plays it?  Carl?  Blondie?  Ricky?  Ed Carter?  Tony Martin?

I can tell you there's at least one inquiring mind that wants to know.

Thanks!
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:52:01 PM »

If by "Hard Times" you mean the Blondie/Ricky co-write from late 1972 ("Rolling Up To Heaven" is sometimes mistitled as "Hard Times"), that solo, I'm almost 100% sure, is Blondie. Carl didn't really have that kind of bluesy style in his playing.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »

Thanks for the reply!  That was indeed the song n question.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:00:21 AM »

For what it's worth, Blondie told me that there's no Beach Boy connection to the track other than being recorded on the group's dime. I don't recall who exactly the actual players were on the tune -- but it was no one from the BB camp.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 01:19:35 PM »

For what it's worth, Blondie told me that there's no Beach Boy connection to the track other than being recorded on the group's dime. I don't recall who exactly the actual players were on the tune -- but it was no one from the BB camp.

But still I can hear Carl backing vocals very clearly on this track.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »

I guess Blondie lied to me when he told me -- "That was just me and a bunch of my friends, it had nothing to do with the Beach Boys. I was just doing my own thing."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 07:49:01 AM »

I'm with Howie - never heard any other BB on this track (unless you count Ricky), and it was first introduced to me as "a sorta Flame track".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 10:36:11 AM »

I'm with Howie - never heard any other BB on this track (unless you count Ricky), and it was first introduced to me as "a sorta Flame track".

O, I'm not doubting at all that this is what Blondie has told you, Howie. And I have no reason not to believe that Blondie is telling the truth when he mentioned it as a sole Blondie/Ricky collaboration. And listening to it, to me it doesn't sound like a Beach Boys production at all, nor that I can imagine any of the Boys playing on it.

The only reason I responded to your Blondie-quote is that it sounds like Carl singing some background voc's on the bridge.
Listening to the All This Is That b00t as I'm typing this. If you have that one, check out the "Hard Time To Live, Easier To Give" line at  1:14-1:20 and 2:11-2:17. It certainly has that CW-vibe in it...

But my ears can be fooled of course.  Smiley

O, and I forgot to mention that I really like this song. And for that matter much better than the Rare Bird cover on their "Somebody's Watching" album from 1973.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:39:47 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jason
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »

Hard Times is a pretty cool track. It wouldn't have been out of place on an eventual follow-up to Holland provided the band kept the progression going in 1973, but it obviously would have needed some embellishments to make it a "Beach Boys" track.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx