gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 09:32:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you like worms video on "An American Band" question  (Read 2498 times)
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2011, 12:14:24 PM »

Love this Video with Carl mophing into Dennis (Or is it the other way round?? lol). So What's the story with this video was it of it's time or was it put together for the American Band Film??. I would love to see this with the Smile release this Summer. So any Info guys, Is the full video on youtube??. Cheers
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:07:30 PM »

I love that clip too. IIRC, it is one of Dennis's films. Setting it to DYLW was most likely the idea of the producer of AAB. Hopefully there's more of this stuff waiting to be discovered.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 01:29:40 PM »

Thanks for that, Have to say it works well. And I was under the impression that a number of Videos was made around this time (66/67) like the "Fire" video, Guess I was wrong?
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 02:27:09 PM »

Thanks for that, Have to say it works well. And I was under the impression that a number of Videos was made around this time (66/67) like the "Fire" video, Guess I was wrong?

The 'Fire' video was actually for 'Good Vibrations'.  Although it matches up much better with 'Mrs. O'Leary's Cow', for obvious reasons. Unless you're talking about the home movie of the Boys in the studio wearing the Fire hats-which, now that I think about it, you probably are!
Also, I recall watching a movie a few months back on YouTube. It was somebody's mix of 'DYLW' with 'Little Pad' thrown in, and it had clips from different BB things of that era, like Brian in the studio wearing a fire hat, the Boys outside on a beach somewhere, someone with a movie camera (I think it's Paul McCartney), and a part where Carl (I think) rides his bike down a bunch of hilly streets. I can't find it anymore, and I think it was made by a poster here on the board.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »

Is the clips of Carl riding his bike the same ones from the Little Honda video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqr5U78-e1w

No mas, por favor.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 02:40:02 PM »

The 'Fire' video was actually for 'Good Vibrations'.  Although it matches up much better with 'Mrs. O'Leary's Cow', for obvious reasons. Unless you're talking about the home movie of the Boys in the studio wearing the Fire hats-which, now that I think about it, you probably are!
Also, I recall watching a movie a few months back on YouTube. It was somebody's mix of 'DYLW' with 'Little Pad' thrown in, and it had clips from different BB things of that era, like Brian in the studio wearing a fire hat, the Boys outside on a beach somewhere, someone with a movie camera (I think it's Paul McCartney), and a part where Carl (I think) rides his bike down a bunch of hilly streets. I can't find it anymore, and I think it was made by a poster here on the board.
It was the video that was made from a fire station, sliding down the firepole, running after the fire engine etc, that I was thinKing of. When I'd first saw this I just thought it was made of the time (66/67) as it worked so well.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »

Is the clips of Carl riding his bike the same ones from the Little Honda video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqr5U78-e1w

Yeah, that's it!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »

The 'Fire' video was actually for 'Good Vibrations'.  Although it matches up much better with 'Mrs. O'Leary's Cow', for obvious reasons. Unless you're talking about the home movie of the Boys in the studio wearing the Fire hats-which, now that I think about it, you probably are!
It was the video that was made from a fire station, sliding down the firepole, running after the fire engine etc, that I was thinKing of. When I'd first saw this I just thought it was made of the time (66/67) as it worked so well.

Yes, the "fire station" video was shot and edited in '66 as a promo film...for "Good Vibrations". Given that Brian recorded "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" only a few weeks after making the promo film suggests that he was inspired by the shoot...if not to write music evoking a fire, then certainly to have the musicians wear fire hats.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:55:59 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 12:57:28 PM »

Both of those films, Carl 'morphing' into Dennis, and on the bicycle, were 16mm tests that Dennis did back then.  They still exist as 100' reels, but have both been edited a variety of ways, (including my own), to diverse pieces of music.  However, Dennis shot them both silently, on his Bolex.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 02:44:49 PM »

Both of those films, Carl 'morphing' into Dennis, and on the bicycle, were 16mm tests that Dennis did back then.  They still exist as 100' reels, but have both been edited a variety of ways, (including my own), to diverse pieces of music.  However, Dennis shot them both silently, on his Bolex.
Many Thanks Ed, Seems my Sunday is full of Dennis. It's my friends wedding anniversary today and I'd given them a copy of Forever (vocals) both loved it. Great to know that Dennis music is still bringing joy into peoples lives.
The Do you like worms video is one of the highlights from the an American Band film and I loved the edit from the home movies
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »

I remember that one, it has a couple of alternate takes and if I recall correctly, I think Tune X is on there or whatever Carl Wilson song that was recorded during/around Smile.

BTW, the guys never looked so HIP as they do in that video collage.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:19:38 AM »

I never knew Dennis had an interest in film aside from acting in them.

Would be cool to see all the footage he shot.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Zack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 02:02:11 AM »

Curious then, that Mike at one point puts his fingers to his mouth like he's holding an imaginary joint and rolls his eyes, suggesting that the music was drugged out, leading me to believe he knew it was for Mrs. O'leary.  Hard to imagine Mike not being a fan of GV.

"I experimented myself right out of action."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 02:27:48 AM »

Curious then, that Mike at one point puts his fingers to his mouth like he's holding an imaginary joint and rolls his eyes, suggesting that the music was drugged out, leading me to believe he knew it was for Mrs. O'leary.  Hard to imagine Mike not being a fan of GV.

The studio footage of the band wearing the fire helmets wasn't from the "Fire" session. No-one, from Seigel on down, has ever mentioned anyone from the band except Brian being there.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 08:07:39 AM »

Makes sense.  It appears as though Carl is wearing the same clothes in each film.  Possibly shot on the same day?
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »

I just saw it as "Mike Love being Mike Love" and pretending to yawn like he was bored. It's possible Brian was going over one section of GV constantly to get it right and Mike was getting impatient.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx