gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:29:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Sounds Of Summer: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys
5 - 29 (64.4%)
4 - 10 (22.2%)
3 - 5 (11.1%)
2 - 1 (2.2%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sounds Of Summer: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys  (Read 33781 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 05:35:32 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Sounds Of Summer: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys, released June 2003.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 08:37:26 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 05:51:34 PM »

Another year, another compilation. This one has all of the notable hits this time around, but the lack of album tracks is glaring. Still, I give it a 5. It brought the Boys back to the charts.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 11:46:10 AM »

Did well on the charts.

Useful in that one can grab it when a large highly recognized selection of BB material is called for.

People like it at Cruise Ins.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 12:29:30 PM »

Great compilation.  The Euro edition was marred by some crappy tracks on the last disc i.e. the nightmare version of Fun Fun Fun by Status Quo, Wipe Out with the Fat Boys, etc.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 06:12:12 AM »

Was the Euro edition the so called platinum album that I've seen in stores?

And wasn't there a previous Platinum series or is the Euro the same thing
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 02:26:44 PM »

"The Euro edition" is a totally different beast. It's called The Platinum Collection - Sounds Of Summer edition and is the small matter of 30 tracks - or 100% - longer. EMI have been issuing 'Platinum Collections' of all its major artists: 3CD sets for about £15, and the BB one is an ideal primer as it takes you from "Surfin'" to "California Dreamin'", touching most bases along the way.

As for SOS lacking album tracks... well of course it would - the criteria for inclusion was that the songs be US Top 40 hits.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 07:27:12 AM »

5 from me. It's thanks to this CD coming out that I was able to get into the Beach Boys again. I used to have 20 Golden Greats as a kid and I wanted something beyond Pet Sounds (which I had) to serve as a deeper introduction. Actually, I might have owned Smiley Smile/Wild Honey by the time I got this, too.

Watch out for snakes!
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 01:02:11 PM »

I give it four stars. It's got a fairly decent track listing and made a lot of new Beach Boys fans. What dissapointed me though was that a lot of the lack of early 70's songs. If one or two of them like "Long Promised Road" and "Marcella" was on here I'd be happier with it.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 12:32:20 AM »

If you're a true fan and have got everything else... do you really need this one? Another hits package?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 12:25:04 PM »

Yeah, I think the real knock against the collection is the fact that some of the later hits are lame covers, but I guess the same can be said for earlier hits, too. If they put Forever, Surf's Up, and Little Girl I Once Knew on there instead, well, that'd be pretty sweet. No single CD is ever going to be perfect because there are just too many songs.

Watch out for snakes!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 01:56:22 PM »

Cool and good Best-of disc. Awful Liner Notes. I especially love the "Sights & Sounds of Summer", which comes with a DVD. I'm excited what Vol. 2 will be like, though I don't think it will climb as high in the charts if it happens to be in there at all

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 07:10:18 AM »

Probably the best single disc collection and nice to have one come out in recent years with better sound quality than the 80s discs.  As for the lack of quality 70s songs etc. Well, this is an old fashioned hits comp, and one that captures their singles, for better or worse.  At least someone who buys this one as their first BB cd, can hear little heard (outside of our world) gems like "Good Timin'" and "I can hear music."
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 09:04:04 AM »

It was designed a la Beatles 1, Elvis 30 #1 Hits, and the Stones' 40 Licks. The biggest hits all in one disc. One stop Greatest Hits shopping. It was put together quite nicely and the track list actually flows! And if Mike Love actually did compile the track list, he deserves a round of applause for the sequencing of tracks 27-30 - 4 cool blasts of Carl Wilson vocal brilliance!
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 08:08:53 PM »

It is surprising that all of these were Top 40 hits, and it's actually something that merits repeat listening, for The Beach Boys fanatic or the average music lover...or, somebody's spoiled teenage children, who require everything they hear to be in some shiny new package; ergo, new converts.  It serves many types, and serves them well.  I give it a 5.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 02:45:48 AM »

This album kind of blew it's load in my opinion, because surely to god they've exhausted every possible gh idea now that they put basically EVERYTHING on this 1 cd.  I work in the coin-op business, and every jukebox we have has this CD and it gets played often.  It's cool to walk into one of your restaurant accounts and hear "I can hear music" playing. 
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 06:41:46 PM »

Sounds of Summer without The Warmth of The Sun...blasphemy.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 12:16:28 PM »

"WOTS" would have been anomalous on "SOS" for one reason: it didn't chart.  Now, you could argue that it was the B-side of a top ten hit, "Dance Dance Dance"...

Besides, the greatest songs are the ones that languish in obscurity; meaning, once a great song is known the world over, it is not quite so great anymore, now is it?  Therefore, "WOTS" is a greater song for its absense being noticeable by you.

Hopefully, this made a smidgen of sense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 04:57:14 PM »

Wait for Vol. 2  Cool

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 04:16:32 AM »

Hopefully, this made a smidgen of sense.

Makes perfect sense it would lose something special if it was naked to the world again on that release.

BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 04:17:31 AM »

Wait for Vol. 2  Cool

Won't have to, at least it was included on The Greatest Hits Vol. 2 which is my favorite colection of their songs.

BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 11:14:28 AM »

And where is It's OK!?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 04:36:50 AM »

And where is It's OK!?

Vol. 2 ...... Wink

- Jack Rieley
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 12:01:48 PM »

Actually it would have made a great double cd complilation, Keepin The Summer Alive, Endless Harmony, California, The Girls On The Beach, Girl Don't Tell Me, Let Him Run Wild and In My Car would have been good additions.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2006, 02:59:12 PM »

I think there are a lot of songs which would make good additions, but we'll probably never gonna see such a compilation (at least "Warmth of the sun" won't be it imo)

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 06:16:25 AM »

"The Euro edition" is a totally different beast. It's called The Platinum Collection - Sounds Of Summer edition and is the small matter of 30 tracks - or 100% - longer. EMI have been issuing 'Platinum Collections' of all its major artists: 3CD sets for about £15, and the BB one is an ideal primer as it takes you from "Surfin'" to "California Dreamin'", touching most bases along the way.

That's a great compilation. It even contains tracks like Forever, Surf's Up, Til I Die and You Still Believe In Me. It's probably the best BB carreer overview so far apart from the GV box set.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx