gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:33:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The SMiLE Sessions (CD, 2CD, 2LP, and Box Set)
5 - 85 (93.4%)
4 - 4 (4.4%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (1.1%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 83

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The SMiLE Sessions (CD, 2CD, 2LP, and Box Set)  (Read 26165 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »

Along with the Unsurpassed Masters 'Smile' tracks, is every 'Smile' song and fragment now released?, or is there any still yet to be discovered in the vaults. Also I read I think it was in Brian's book, that he said about erasing the 'Smile' tapes because of the bad vibes around the Mrs O'Learys Cow or something. So I'm assuming if Brian did erase tapes, he most likely erased other fragments/songs not included on the Unsurpassed set and the Smile boxset. Although when Prince recorded the original version of 'Old Friends 4 Sale' he erased it then re-recorded it with different lyrics.

No, we absolutely have not. I'm sure there's a wealth of material still in the vaults. I know that Brian's test edit of CIFOTM was left out of the boxset, and I'm sure that wasn't the only test edit of a song he made. In addition, there's still the two other Jasper Daily songs on acetate somewhere, Little Red Book and Untitled Instrumental (aka Spanish Guitar.) That's to say nothing of various alt takes of songs, the other Psychedelic Sounds skits, the stuff on the Durrie Acetates and any other acetates or tapes that havent been accounted for or are possibly mislabeled in a vault somewhere...and anything else I'm forgetting.

Now, you could argue many of those aren't important. Technically, LRB & UI aren't really SMiLE anyway. The Jasper tracks are novelty items which merely show genius distracted and time wasted. Some would say the same regarding the Psyche Sounds stuff. But the fact is, if you're a hardcore collector and/or amateur "SMiLE-restorationist" (ie fanmixer) then it's vital to have as much of SMiLE as there is, in the best quality possible.

I'm sure there's more material floating around our there that I don't know of. Im also sure we still can't find those damn tapes of Surfs Up Part 2 or Look vocals or Tones vocals or Cabin Essence reconnected telephones vocals if they even still exist. Speaking of Cabin Essence vocals, an isolated Truck Driving Man chorus would be nice. There's no reason at all why THAT at the very least, didn't make the boxset. Same with the alt speed take of With Me Tonight. Absolutely no excuses on those two omissions.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:31:29 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 12:02:22 PM »

Speaking of Cabin Essence vocals, an isolated Truck Driving Man chorus would be nice. There's no reason at all why THAT at the very least, didn't make the boxset.

The day after TSS was released, I came on this board and asked that question, because I strongly believed they (it) shoulda been in the box. The justification was that these vocals were not recorded during the Smile Sessions ('66/'67) but in 1968, thus they weren't considered part of the original Smile sessions. I still think they should have been included anyway.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »

Speaking of Cabin Essence vocals, an isolated Truck Driving Man chorus would be nice. There's no reason at all why THAT at the very least, didn't make the boxset.

The day after TSS was released, I came on this board and asked that question, because I strongly believed they (it) shoulda been in the box. The justification was that these vocals were not recorded during the Smile Sessions ('66/'67) but in 1968, thus they weren't considered part of the original Smile sessions. I still think they should have been included anyway.

Frankly, that's a totally bullshit excuse since so much of what we've come to know as SMiLE was worked on well after the album itself was announced cancelled. The Water Chant and Cool Cool Water for example. And on the boxset, they included Three Blind Mice which has NOTHING, not even the faintest connection, to SMiLE. I think it was put on some SMiLE bootlegs back in the day or something like that, but then there's no excuse not to include Little Red Book, Untitled Instrumental and Can't Wait Too Long too. At least that last one has its origins in a SMiLE song. And it's pretty hypocritical to claim they wanted to give us the tools to "roll our own" SMiLE and yet not provide crucial pieces like that, isolated 'Rock with me, Henry' vocals and a thousand others I won't list.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, I love that damn boxset. But in all honesty, some of those decisions they made really make no sense.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 10:42:54 PM »

This is going to sound kind of sad and stupid of me, but here goes...
I actually got the double LP as a Christmas gift because everyone knows I love the Beach Boys! But even 6 months ago I wasn't too aware of much more than their surf albums, PS, Wild Honey, and Smiley Smile. And it wasn't until I had a conversation about the Beach Boys with a co-worker that I realized how much I really loved them, and I started researching everything about them and joined these forums... haha.

Anyway, with school and everything it has been impossible for me to listen to all of their stuff, although throughout the school year I fell even more in love with PS, etc., as well as Smile, and gave Smile a short spin while cleaning my dorm room once.

But I finally sat down and listened to it (actually I was working on my major application, but still) I listened to the whole LP and I am so in love with it. I already knew I loved the album because I had listened to it on iTunes/Spotify many times before, but it was even better this time. Maybe I'll give a more in-depth review when I know even more about the history of Smile (I just got the Beach Boys FAQ book) and if anyone wants to hear. But yeah, it took me a long time to truly appreciate the gift I had gotten. I teared up reading about Brian missing his brothers, too.

Also, the stereo version of H&V is my life. What a beautiful song... in the stereo version I feel like you can really hear all of the vocal arrangements; so wonderful Smiley

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
KDS
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 05:43:21 AM »

Although technically incomplete, I find this release to be far superior to the Brian Wilson 2004 version. 

The Wonderful / Song for Children / Child is the Father of the Man / Surf's Up suite is one of the highlights of The Beach Boys history. 

You also get the full versions of H&V as GV, as well as a finally released version of Mrs O Leary's Cow. 

The full album is very good, but I still don't think it's the masterpiece it's held as.  There's some filler (You Are My Sunshine, Vegatables, etc).  When its great, its amazing.  When it isn't, its meh.  That's why I give it a four. 

My review is for the two disc edition.  I consider myself a huge BB fan, but even the extra disc was a bit much for me.  Interesting on one listen, but not essential.  I can't imagine four more discs like that. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »

Although technically incomplete, I find this release to be far superior to the Brian Wilson 2004 version. 

The Wonderful / Song for Children / Child is the Father of the Man / Surf's Up suite is one of the highlights of The Beach Boys history. 

You also get the full versions of H&V as GV, as well as a finally released version of Mrs O Leary's Cow. 

The full album is very good, but I still don't think it's the masterpiece it's held as.  There's some filler (You Are My Sunshine, Vegatables, etc).  When its great, its amazing.  When it isn't, its meh.  That's why I give it a four. 

My review is for the two disc edition.  I consider myself a huge BB fan, but even the extra disc was a bit much for me.  Interesting on one listen, but not essential.  I can't imagine four more discs like that. 
I bought the 2 record version, and that is a strong 5 for me. I don't really get into listening to session tapes on a regular basis. Sure, they're fun to hear occasionally, hear how a song developed/evolved, but the 2 record TSS is the one I listen to over and over.
ZenobiaUnchained
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »

5/5

Zenobia>Cleopatra
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2016, 09:20:51 PM »

Played it tonight for the first time in a couple years. Almost to the end of the catalog now. There's been some surprises - some albums I liked more than I remembered liking; other sounded worse this time through. Smile, though, still sounds great. I'm a bit puzzled about the complaints about following the BWPS sequencing. That's probably as close as we're going to get to a definitive Smile - apparently it's the sequence Brian and his team endorse now. I have no problems with it. It finally put all those random bits that I'd heard on bootlegs into a coherent musical statement. Love how the H&V theme keeps resurfacing in different arrangements; how the reprise of Our Prayer leads into GV; how Look leads into Child is Father of the Man into Surf's Up. What's not to like? 1 of the 2 best BB's albums - the other one, of course, being Sunflower.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx