gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:45:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce scheduled to play with symphony orchestra June 2011 and March 201  (Read 2902 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:53:48 PM »

The June 30 show is in driving distance from here and at or near Ohio University.  I'm very curious about this.  Is this something new?  A tie
-in with the 50th?  Sounds ambitious.  I'd love to hear from Scott Totten about the details.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:27:21 PM »

The June 30 show is in driving distance from here and at or near Ohio University.  I'm very curious about this.  Is this something new?  A tie
-in with the 50th?  Sounds ambitious.  I'd love to hear from Scott Totten about the details.
That's interesting they would book a show more than a year out. Are they selling tickets, NOW, for the March 2012 show?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:46:14 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:36:40 PM »

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:44:31 PM »

Thanks for the info, donald. I may have to take a trip up to this one! Always wanted to see a Beach Boys
gig w/a symphony.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »

The June 30 show is in driving distance from here and at or near Ohio University.  I'm very curious about this.  Is this something new?  A tie
-in with the 50th?  Sounds ambitious.  I'd love to hear from Scott Totten about the details.
That's interesting they would book a show more than a year out. Are they selling tickets, NOW, for the March 2012 show?

The March 2009 Omaha Symphony show was announced over a year ahead of time.  Probably has to do with the symphony season schedule.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »

So what are these shows like?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 03:49:04 PM »

They're designed primarily for the purpose of drowning out ml and bj vocals. LOL
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 04:08:13 PM »

Symphonic 'Smile' by Mike and Bruce? Grin   

With Van Dyke Parks on accordion?

Okay, I'm kidding, but let's not forget that the group (which still included Carl and Al) did promote the 1993 box with a special setlist.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 07:30:31 PM »

They're designed primarily for the purpose of drowning out ml and bj vocals. LOL

Ah, so can we please get an orchestra in here to drown out ohldsrfrdood?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 12:58:45 AM »

Ah, my theory is proven - once a fcukwit*, always a fcukwit.  Grin

[* some home assembly required]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:59:53 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 01:37:03 AM »

Unfortunately I'never seen or heard such a show but they are known to play some rarities when performing with an orchestra. Watch out for "Here today" for example.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:22:46 AM »

Unfortunately I'never seen or heard such a show but they are known to play some rarities when performing with an orchestra. Watch out for "Here today" for example.

I'd really like to see/hear something like that.  Nothing wrong with Mike Love doing some of those kinds of songs that featured his vocals.  Too bad we will never see the BBs do Pet Sounds featuring the original vocalists on each song.  But the remainig guys?  That would be great!
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 10:42:06 AM »

I saw one of these types of shows a few years back at Rosemont Theater near Chicago. Can't remember the orchestra and much of the concert except that it wasn't much different than a regular ML/BJ BB show.  Just dug out the program from it....I did keep it as I got backstage through a fluky happening, and got ML's autograph. Had strong thoughts of tossing it out the window on the ride home tho. It was the Chicagoland Pops Orchestra with Arnie Roth conducting. March 24.2007
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »

I saw one of these types of shows a few years back at Rosemont Theater near Chicago. Can't remember the orchestra and much of the concert except that it wasn't much different than a regular ML/BJ BB show.  Just dug out the program from it....I did keep it as I got backstage through a fluky happening, and got ML's autograph. Had strong thoughts of tossing it out the window on the ride home tho. It was the Chicagoland Pops Orchestra with Arnie Roth conducting. March 24.2007

so, not that great or memorable?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »

Thumbs Up
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »

Well, if you're going to bother going backstage and get someone's autograph you might just toss out the window on the way home: why on earth would you do so in the first place? Just to give oldsurferdude a reason for existing?

I really just don't get it. Why listen to music made with a great amount of participation by someone you despise? And why go to his concerts?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx