gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:01:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SUNFLOWER ESQ Issue!  (Read 8406 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »

Just received it in the mail, and had to stop and email David about what a great issue this is - before I"ve been able to do any more than breeze through it front to back - and also thought I'd mention here that it's something to get your hands on!  Can't wait to read Andrew's article entitled, "SUNFLOWER - 40th Anniversary   The Process"; whole darn issue looks crammed with information & great rare photo's.  Watch for it if it's on it's way; can't wait to hear what people think...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »

Just received it in the mail, and had to stop and email David about what a great issue this is - before I"ve been able to do any more than breeze through it front to back - and also thought I'd mention here that it's something to get your hands on!  Can't wait to read Andrew's article entitled, "SUNFLOWER - 40th Anniversary   The Process"; whole darn issue looks crammed with information & great rare photo's.  Watch for it if it's on it's way; can't wait to hear what people think...

Nice issue!  It came in the mail and I sat down to read it cover to cover.  Nice insights from Peter Reum, AGD and Fred Vail. Al Jardine's song by song breakdown was interesting too.  Like the Pics!! 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »

I'm with Ed on this!!! Fantastic issue all the way through. I too, had to email David and send kudos for one of the best issues yet!! (Except of course, the all Dennis issue! LOL). If you're not a subscriber, please do so asap, and request this issue. You will never "hear" the album the same again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:40:42 AM »

Just got the latest issue and while I obviously can't comment on pages 26-39, the rest of the issue is just cracking: always a pleasure to read Peter's thoughtful prose.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 12:51:36 PM »

Great job, guys!  Especially fascinating for me are the previously unseen David Dalton photo of Al, Carl, Desper and Dennis testing the percussion rig on Brian's rooftop...they're clearly not in the middle of a take, since headphones are are not on (and Desper isn't behind the board).  We see a snare drum w/sleighbells resting on top, one hi-hat with headphones resting on top, another hi-hat w/tambourine attached, and Dennis trying out the timbales with a pair of soft mallets.  Later we see a shot of Carl playing the drum kit (indoors, in the actual studio), clearly on a take (based on the fact that he's actually wearing headphones).  I'm beginning to think Carl played drums in the studio on far more tracks than we actually know of. 
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »

Loved the way the issue turned out...Andrew...terrific job! Fred`s article was quite illuminating as well. Hope we can do it again in another issue some time...

If it runs amuck, call the duck
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 01:46:47 PM »

Soon as my raise goes through I need to subscribe (living paycheck to paycheck right now)...this sounds fascinating.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »

Great job to all involved! The photos alone are mind-blowing.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »

Excellent job, guys! ESQ arrived yesterday and I read it cover to cover. Love the insights on the BB's recording process during this time. The photos are great. Did anyone notice that there are pics of each Wilson brother playing drums? That shot of Dennis on the old motorcycle is very nice, too.  Cool

Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 08:35:11 PM »

My wife, bless her soul, just spent 30 bucks on Keith Badman's book for my birthday gift.  She tries. The book's nice but I'm aware of its accuracy issues. I would rather that 30 bucks had gone to a ESQ subscription.  I will be ordering this Sunflower issue within the next week. And looking at the back issue catalog, I could easily drop a couple hundred bucks before I knew what happened.

Having just gone through a period of playing nothing but the Sunflower/Surf's Up 2-fer, I'm particularly looking forward to this new issue.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 09:43:26 PM »

My wife, bless her soul, just spent 30 bucks on Keith Badman's book for my birthday gift.  She tries. The book's nice but I'm aware of its accuracy issues. I would rather that 30 bucks had gone to a ESQ subscription.  I will be ordering this Sunflower issue within the next week. And looking at the back issue catalog, I could easily drop a couple hundred bucks before I knew what happened.

Having just gone through a period of playing nothing but the Sunflower/Surf's Up 2-fer, I'm particularly looking forward to this new issue.

Enjoy the photos in the Badman book...they're worth $30.  Just don't bother reading the text!  Smiley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 09:48:29 PM »

Enjoy the photos in the Badman book...they're worth $30.  Just don't bother reading the text!  Smiley

Nah, that's not true, either.  There's some great stuff in Badman: 
He can't be trusted on the dates for concerts at all, and oft-times his venues are also wrong;. but the the first hand stories and quotes are outasite!!!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 10:23:23 PM »

He can't be trusted on the dates for concerts at all, and oft-times his venues are also wrong;. but the the first hand stories and quotes are outasite!!!!
He can't be trusted on session info or historical context either, lots of made up stuff in there to justify other wrong stuff. As Craig said, the photos are great, and the format is nice too, would have been awesome if it wasn't so half-assed.
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 10:33:11 PM »

[/quote]

So far, my favorite photo is the big one of Glen Campbell on stage with the Boys. I'd like to see more of Campbell as a Beach Boy. Anybody know offhand the exact number of shows he played? Any TV appearances?

And so far my favorite story is the one about Brian, on the advise of his astrologer,  leading a midnight limousine caravan to hand deliver the H&V single to the radio station, bypassing Capitol altogether.

I hope that story is true. It's awesome.

And, no, I'm not reading the book in order, I'm just skipping around.

But skimming through the book has brought up a question that perhaps should be a new topic, but did Bruce have anything at all to do with Smiley Smile? I know he was absent for most of it, but did he skip out on all of it?  And who exactly was his disagreement with and what was the nature of the disagreement? 

I guess I just want more details on the things that upset seemingly easygoing Bruce. He quit in the 70s and he basically quit during the Smiley Smile sessions.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 11:02:11 PM »

So far, my favorite photo is the big one of Glen Campbell on stage with the Boys. I'd like to see more of Campbell as a Beach Boy. Anybody know offhand the exact number of shows he played? Any TV appearances?

Don't know exactly how many shows, but this is a great place to start http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs65.html

I don't think he made any TV appearances with the group, although he did promote Guess I'm Dumb on various TV shows.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 01:35:10 AM »

Not merely the concerts. I particularly like two parts - the opening paragraph where he gets Hawthorne CA confused with Hawthorne FL... and the bit in the Smile era where he quotes David Oppenheim on Brian's mental state, not realising he's got his Davids in a twist. Anderle, not Oppenheim.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 01:37:46 AM »

Glen never appeared with the band on TV. As for which shows he played,,,

shows & sessions 1964
shows & sessions 1965

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 05:05:09 AM »

But skimming through the book has brought up a question that perhaps should be a new topic, but did Bruce have anything at all to do with Smiley Smile? I know he was absent for most of it, but did he skip out on all of it?  And who exactly was his disagreement with and what was the nature of the disagreement? 

I guess I just want more details on the things that upset seemingly easygoing Bruce. He quit in the 70s and he basically quit during the Smiley Smile sessions.

I'm guessing he passed on most - if not all - of the Smiley Smile sessions for the same reason he didn't do the Hawaii trip (!) in August 1967.  Smiley

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 05:53:15 AM »

What's the infamous quote about Bruce during the SS era, 'It had all gotten too weird for him by this time'?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 06:58:56 AM »

To return to the original topic... the latest issue of ESQ is a good one - we got in touch with David Dalton, hence the new b/w pix.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 07:01:07 AM »

To return to the original topic... the latest issue of ESQ is a good one - we got in touch with David Dalton, hence the new b/w pix.

Curious, did he happen to tell you the exact dates (or at least the month) the Bellagio studio photos were taken?  That may help determine which particular songs were being worked on.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 07:54:48 AM »

Found this not too long ago on the web. Was new to me.

On TV-shows Brian had to play. Probably a contractual thing or something, therefor you don't see Bruce on "California girls" and "Barbara Ann" . After that, there were not too many TV-appearances, which begs the question "WHY?". Why didn't they do promo for Pet sounds, GV, H&V, Wild honey on TV?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Turtle_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 02:10:44 PM »

Add my two cent........

The latest issue arrived on the emerald isle today and I just want to say congrats to David, Andrew, Peter & Fred on one of the best, if not the best issue of ESQ I've had the good fortune to read.

Now off to renew my sub........

Thomas
MBE
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 05:32:55 PM »

Really my favorite era of the group. They all looked so cool and were doing wonderful work. They sang their best too.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:08 PM »

I'll be in City Lights Books (SF) this weekend.  Seems I bought a copy of ESQ there once before.  I wonder if I'll find one there this coming week.

If not, Im sure I'll find something to read.

Did I hear that Borders is going under?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx