gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:45:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here She Comes  (Read 6229 times)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2006, 09:17:22 AM »

Can this song get any groovier? I freakin love it! I can't help but listen to it a lot...its just so good. I know that Blondie/Ricky have the writing credits, but Im curious if anyone knows what role did the Beach Boys (specifically Carl) had on teh song? Or was it completely written already and they just laid down the vocals?

thanks!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 11:06:21 AM »

I have no ideas regarding Carl's role in this song, but I too love it.  "Here She Comes" and "Leaving This Town" are my favorite Flame/ Beach Boys collaborative songs, which is weird since I like Blondie's voice a lot more.

If you dig this track, you really ought to check out the Flame album if you already haven't.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Jason
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 11:06:43 AM »

The Beach Boys play on it. Ricky does the vocal. He produced it too, IIRC.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 11:09:42 AM »

what does IIRC mean? :X

Whats the name of the Flame album? Im gonna check it out now that you mention it.  Cool

--
Jason
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 11:10:51 AM »

IIRC = If I remember correctly.

It's just called The Flame. Good luck finding it.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 11:17:45 AM »

http://www.the-flames.com/

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 11:22:30 AM »

nice!

--
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 11:30:03 AM »

I absolutely love this song!  Just recently I have seen among some of the other BB boards that a lot of people arent to fond of Ricky and Blondie's contributions to the band in there short time with them.  I for one love their songs on CATP and Holland.  Here She Comes is probably my favorite, but Hold On Dear Brother and Leaving This Town are also criminally underrated IMO.  I know they do not necessarily sounds like "Beach Boys Songs", but they work for me and I hate that we didnt get more of this sound before the oldies act kicked into high gear (not that I dont have a place in my heart for the following albums after CATP and Holland!!).  There's my two cents! 

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 11:32:49 AM »

On the Flame fan site I just posted, there's an interview with Steve Desper.  He says that there is a push by Alan Boyd to get the Flame's Brother Records self-titled release as well as the un-released follow-up released as a single cd!  Hopefully they will be able to pull this off.  The second Brother album really sounds tantalizing.

SUICIDE
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 11:49:27 AM »

I read the beginning of the DEsper interview, its funny that it was AL who really discovered them Razz

Id love to see the Flame releases on Brother, they certainly deserve it. theyre great musicians and writers...I love all the stuff they were on!

--
Jason
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 11:52:37 AM »

Have you ever heard the Blondie/Ricky track Hard Times? It was recorded in late 1973. It's a #1 song, man.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 11:58:29 AM »

Only Ricky/Blondie songs Ive heard are their tunes with The Beach Boys...

Id love to hear more tho...

--
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 06:03:35 AM »

Have you ever heard the Blondie/Ricky track Hard Times? It was recorded in late 1973. It's a #1 song, man.

That one kicks ass !!!!

BTW Jason...could you mail me ? onkelzlife@gmx.de

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
kregan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 02:17:51 PM »

anybody ever notice a Steely Dan-ish vibe in this song? Especially from SD's Can't Buy A Thrill era... Whatever the inspiration is, Here She Comes is a GREAT song!!!
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 09:17:22 AM »

I love this song, and I love "Hold On Dear Brother" and "Leaving This Town."  I think Ricky and Blondie added a lot instrumentally to CATP and Holland -- they were great players.  The energy from Ricky's drumming on CATP is fantastic, and there's a lot of great guitar work on that album.  Plus I think all three of the songs they wrote together were great additions to the Beach Boys' catalog.  I love the line "wherever she goes you know the devil dances and the gods lay down in defeat."

I was a little surprised to read several people say in this thread that Ricky sings lead on "Here She Comes."  According to the 2000 two-fer liner notes by Scott McCaughey, it's Blondie.  Are folks sure about this?

I really would have loved to see the Boys live in concert in the early 70s, with the Ricky/Blondie lineup.  They were making great records and it sounds like the live shows were fantastic!  Of course, I was only a few years old, so I probably wouldn't have appreciated it much.

Please, somebody make the Flame's album available somewhere!

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 09:22:09 AM »

Ricky sings first, Blondie second

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 05:00:02 AM »

"Here she comes - breathing life into my nose".
How many other songs have a line like that??

Smiley

C-Man
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 07:27:51 AM »

"Here she comes - breathing life into my nose".
How many other songs have a line like that??

Smiley

C-Man

I think it's "breathing life into my thoughts," although your interpretation would make it a cocaine song, which would be interesting!

busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 07:30:59 AM »

Ricky sings first, Blondie second

I listened to it again, and I think I agree with you now -- Ricky sings the verses and Blondie the bridge ("me I'm only searching").  I have to admit I have some trouble telling their voices apart, as I only have a few examples of their singing to go on.

What about "Hold On Dear Brother"?  I'm uncertain now as to who sings the verses.  "Leaving This Town" seems to be definitely Blondie all the way -- as is "Sail On Sailor."

Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 09:48:17 AM »

What about "Hold On Dear Brother"?  I'm uncertain now as to who sings the verses.  "Leaving This Town" seems to be definitely Blondie all the way -- as is "Sail On Sailor."

That's right, it's all Blondie on those 3 songs

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 10:24:47 AM »

And you do know that it's Ricky singing lead on "We Got Love", right?

C-Man
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 10:29:09 AM »

We Got Love is another split lead vocal, with Blondie singing the bridge

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx