gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:08:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why didn't Van Dyke finish the lyrics in the 60s to "Child is Father of The Man"  (Read 5685 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 02:51:28 PM »

Didn't Van Dyke go on some kind of record years ago saying that he wrote lyrics for Child Is Father of the Man and that it was a "cowboy song"?

I think Dennis said that.

"I got a sneak preview of one of the SMiLE tracks the previous night, when Brian played me a piano version of one track, "Child Is Father Of The Man" - a cowboy song - and then gave me the throwaway line of the year: "And this is the prayer I'm working on for it"" - Dennis Wilson in a Hit Parader article
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:52:27 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »

I've always thought it was strange that CIFOTM didn't have lyrics either, considering it was on the infamous tracklist, and IIRC every other song on that tracklist at least has SOME lyrics written (and I know that at this point we have pretty much concluded that Brian didn't write the tracklist. Still, I would assume that even if he didn't actually write it, whomever did showed it to him and he approved of it).

Peter Reum showed Brian the handwritten tracklist - the original - in the early 80s. Brian said he'd never seen it before.

Was that before or after Landy intervention number two? During that second Landy go-round, Brian's answers could be even more inconsistent than usual.

Before.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 02:57:53 PM »

I've always thought it was strange that CIFOTM didn't have lyrics either, considering it was on the infamous tracklist, and IIRC every other song on that tracklist at least has SOME lyrics written (and I know that at this point we have pretty much concluded that Brian didn't write the tracklist. Still, I would assume that even if he didn't actually write it, whomever did showed it to him and he approved of it).

Peter Reum showed Brian the handwritten tracklist - the original - in the early 80s. Brian said he'd never seen it before.

For cripes sakes, man- you of all people should know that you have to take what Brian says with a grain of salt!  Grin

I make no comment one way or the other.

BTW, that should be "grain of salt".

"Thanks"
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »

Didn't Van Dyke go on some kind of record years ago saying that he wrote lyrics for Child Is Father of the Man and that it was a "cowboy song"?

"I got a sneak preview of one of the SMiLE tracks the previous night, when Brian played me a piano version of one track, "Child Is Father Of The Man" - a cowboy song - and then gave me the throwaway line of the year: "And this is the prayer I'm working on for it"" - Dennis Wilson in a Hit Parader article

Does that sound like the CIFOTM that we know?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »

I thought for a second that Brian could have been trying to mix the Heroes and Villains theme with CIFOTM, but even the name 'Child Is Father Of The Man' is philosophical/spiritual and has nothing to do with cowboys.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »

I thought for a second that Brian could have been trying to mix the Heroes and Villains theme with CIFOTM, but even the name 'Child Is Father Of The Man' is philosophical/spiritual and has nothing to do with cowboys.

Unless Brian told Dennis a bunch of different titles, and Dennis was confused, which is probably the case.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 03:42:18 PM »

As anyone from the band ever given a definite comment about smile? I don't think there's any information we have that can be taken at face value.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »

Unless Brian told Dennis a bunch of different titles, and Dennis was confused, which is probably the case.

That's what I've always attributed the confusion to.  
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »

I wish someone would do an in depth interview with Al and ask about stuff like this. I still can't believe with the dozens of interviews and articles surrounding the 2004 Smile that not one person asked the participants about the Child lyrics. I naively thought at least one or two of the big Smile mysteries would be solved with all of the 2004 activity but we don't know much more than we did before.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »

I think only Brian can answer most of these questions, so we'll never know. He's probably forgotten a lot of it, and the stuff he does remember he avoids talking about in his usual manner.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »

I think only Brian can answer most of these questions, so we'll never know. He's probably forgotten a lot of it, and the stuff he does remember he avoids talking about in his usual manner.

Ya know, Coach used to talk about this. Said Brian was sharp as anyone ever; and could, if he wanted to, tell you who played what instrument on  which track of what recording for everything he ever did. The problem is getting him to. 
 I think it's still there; But getting him on record is going to be tuff

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 07:18:48 AM »

The verse rhythm to "Child..." is essentially a slowed down version of the classic "Happy Trails"-style western rhythm. If Brian played this on the piano for Dennis, it's likely that he emphasized that rhythm. Coming off of PET SOUNDS and "Good Vibrations", Dennis would have suddenly been hearing things like "Heroes & Villains" and snippets like "Home On The Range" and "Who Ran The Iron Horse". In that context, it wouldn't be much of a stretch for Dennis to envision "Child..." as a cowboy song (especially if there were no lyrics to suggest otherwise). Even the recorded version of the track, with that harmonica line on it, evokes a western feeling.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx