gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:59:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: recent random references to the Beach Boys  (Read 4326 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:40:35 PM »

About a week ago, randomly, I was watching Hawaii Five O (the new one) and they were talking about some guy on the beach known as a Beach Boy, of course one of the main characters mentions, I know Mike Love and Brian Wilson but I've never heard of _______ (I can't remember the name) being a Beach Boy. It was really random.

Also, I was playing the new connect option on X-Box 360, and on the game: Connect Adventures, it randomly had the track (assuming from Stack O Tracks) of Our Car Club as background music.  3D

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:32:44 AM »

Oh good grief .... long before Mike thought he was a surfing legend or Dennis got his toes wet or Brian left his room and well before Murry shot his productive load(s) there were the original Beach Boys ... the Wiakiki Beach Boys ... ever heard of Duke Kahanamoku or Rabbit Kekai??? The original Beach Boys were the quintessential party animals ... and they surfed - reeeaaaal goodly too bro!

http://www.surfline.com/surfing-a-to-z/waikiki-beach-boys-history_940/

The name - "The Beach Boys" was a rip off!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:34:44 AM by TonyW » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:17:41 AM »

The Beach Boys - "Bathing Beauty" (Kapp 289)

"A first rate reading of a happy novelty by the Beach Boys helped by a smart arrangement and good chorus work"

Review from Billboard... July 20th, 1959.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:52:15 AM »

For whatever reason, this made me think of how back when the BB's first starting having hits, people would give their records to professional surfers, thinking they (the surfers) really liked it. Then, the surfers would proceed to toss the records in the trash because they considered the BB's to be a joke.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »

I meant XBox's Kinect

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 07:25:10 PM »

This is random!!

http://lifehacker.com/5735033/the-home-office-sandbox

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:56:53 AM »

Awesome !!!!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »

http://www.alkohn.com/

See if you can find it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Paulos
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:02:05 PM »

Found it!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »

Just heard this song on the radio (another average country song) and was surprised to hear the Beach Boys mentioned. Here are the lyrics:

http://www.elyrics.net/read/k/kathy-mattea-lyrics/455-rocket-lyrics.html

- Jack Rieley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »

Just heard this song on the radio (another average country song) and was surprised to hear the Beach Boys mentioned. Here are the lyrics:

As I'm sure you know, "Rocket 88" is considered to be one of the first proto-type rock songs and it was about a car. "Rocket 455" by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings is obviously an attempt to continue that tradition so referencing a group that recorded more car songs than surfing songs is not completely unexpected. Also, Welch and Rawlings are not strictly "country" music in that they've recorded with Robyn Hitchcock and have toured with groups like Son Volt among others.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »

As I'm sure you know, "Rocket 88" is considered to be one of the first proto-type rock songs and it was about a car. "Rocket 455" by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings is obviously an attempt to continue that tradition so referencing a group that recorded more car songs than surfing songs is not completely unexpected. Also, Welch and Rawlings are not strictly "country" music in that they've recorded with Robyn Hitchcock and have toured with groups like Son Volt among others.

No matter how other songs sound, this one is absolutely "country", and average if not worse at that. I like some other stuff by Gillian Welch, but all that is better than this song.
Well, how many songs about cars are there and how many of them actually do mention the BBs ? So, I didn't expect it and I guess most other people here didn't either

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 06:36:33 PM »

No matter how other songs sound, this one is absolutely "country", and average if not worse at that. I like some other stuff by Gillian Welch, but all that is better than this song.
Well, how many songs about cars are there and how many of them actually do mention the BBs ? So, I didn't expect it and I guess most other people here didn't either

I'm currently helping a folk musician put together a demo album; he takes a lot of cues from Gillian Welch, Mississippi John Hurt, etc - and I'm always pushing Beach Boys type harmonies in the studio - makes for an interesting mix of music!

The only Gillian Welch album I've heard in full is 'Time the Revelator' - very very nice album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 07:43:45 PM »

Thomson ads on telly currently feature an orchestral version of Good Vibrations that was very distracting to me whilst trying to watch telly with my Non-BB's loving mates.....

It's the Royal Philharmonic playing it, but it's rather rubbish - slap bass during the bridge? No thank you. If you want a better orchestral version of GV, i heartily recommend Trio Rococo's version. For Spotify enthusiasts only, i suppose, but still.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:48:26 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 03:06:57 PM »

omg how random
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 03:13:35 PM »

erm, ok.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »

i was watching pardon the interruption last year and they were talking about the giants pitcher brian wilson, and tony k said something like "the pitcher, not the beach boy"
MD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 03:46:10 PM »

i was watching pardon the interruption last year and they were talking about the giants pitcher brian wilson, and tony k said something like "the pitcher, not the beach boy"

I remember watching Sportscenter during the playoffs when one of the ESPN guys said
"Brian Wilson(SF Giants) wants to be hero, not a villain"...  Grin

I got a good laugh out of that...

But I'm not sure how many Baseball fans got it...

MD...
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 12:13:33 PM »

I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it, but I can now see my post came off that way a bit! I appreciate your many posts regarding early rock from folks like Elvis and Jerry Lee which is why my mind went to "Rocket 88" and then the Beach Boys cars songs of the early 60s.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 01:09:12 PM »

My daughter Sierra's nearly two but can't even pronounce her own name properly yet.
My obsession with the Beach Boys is a source of bemusement with my partner Steph's side of the family.
So when my daughter started screaming "Beach Boys, Beach Boys, Beach Boys, Beach Boys..." down the phone at her Gran the other night, Steph and I laughed until we wept, for the next hour.

Does that class as one of those moments....?

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 01:30:21 PM »

I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it, but I can now see my post came off that way a bit! I appreciate your many posts regarding early rock from folks like Elvis and Jerry Lee which is why my mind went to "Rocket 88" and then the Beach Boys cars songs of the early 60s.

Mine wasn't meant in evil spirits neither. Sorry if you had that feeling. Guess that's the way it goes from time to time on a message board.

My daughter Sierra's nearly two but can't even pronounce her own name properly yet.
My obsession with the Beach Boys is a source of bemusement with my partner Steph's side of the family.
So when my daughter started screaming "Beach Boys, Beach Boys, Beach Boys, Beach Boys..." down the phone at her Gran the other night, Steph and I laughed until we wept, for the next hour.

Does that class as one of those moments....?

No, that's just crazy !  Grin

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 02:28:30 PM »

Around 0:50 as one of his icons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KO5P9JUHTc&feature=related

- Jack Rieley
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »

The recent You Don't Know Jack game for the PS3 and other systems makes a reference to Sloop John B.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx