gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:18:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why didn't Van Dyke finish the lyrics in the 60s to "Child is Father of The Man"  (Read 5687 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »

I've been thinking about SMiLE a lot more since the announcement by Al, and I just wanted to see why everybody thought about this question I have: Why didn't Van Dyke have the lyrics to "Child is Father of the Man" done in '67? It seems like every other song that was gonna be released was done. Sure you can say "Look" and "Holidays" didn't, but my guess is they were scrapped, just as "Trombone Dixie" was from Pet Sounds. And "Dada"'s track wasn't  finished until after he was gone, so he is off the hook for that. Just seems weird that he never took the time to do the "Child" lyric. especially as he had a chorus lyric.

Obviously, from what we know, "Do You Like Worms", "Wind Chimes", "Heroes And Villains", "Surf's Up", "Cabin Essence", "Wonderful", and "Vega-Tables" all had completed lyrics. I suppose we could also include "I'm In Great Shape" in that list too, I suppose, but who knows what form that "song" was going to take back then. It may have ended up being medley'd with "I Wanna Be Around", but who knows.

And as far as "Elements" lyrics, well who knows if there would have been any.

Wow....looking at the list of titles from the handwritten list turned into Capitol, and seeing how many of the songs were so close to completion, wow, it still drives me crazy all these years later how close they were.  Just some lead vocals in a few places I suppose. Or maybe there was a lot more to do. We will never know.

Also, I was never deep into all this session tape stuff, but is it correct that "Child is the Father..." never actually had the chorus vocal on that official Brian assembly of the track, and that a bootlegger added it on? Or whats the story with that?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:38:34 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:30:23 AM »

Why didn't Van Dyke have the lyrics to "Child is Father of the Man" done in '67? It seems like every other song that was gonna be released was done.

I think it's a mistake to assume that VDP didn't write lyrics to "Child" in 1966.  The mere absence of verse lyrics on various bootlegged recordings of CIFOTM does not prove that such lyrics did not (or do not) exist.  Until the "Humble Harv" demo surfaced (around 1997, maybe?), did anyone here know the lyrics to I'm in Great Shape?  Some of the Barnyard lyrics had been reported by Jules Siegel, but I don't think any recording of them had surfaced either until the  "Humble Harv" demo.  Also, some of the original "Worms" lyrics were preserved by Frank Holmes.  If not for Frank, would anyone have known that VDP wrote original lyrics for DYLW?

A lot of folks (including me) have had hopes that someday original Child lyrics will surface.   We shall see...
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 02:48:44 AM »

Well, VDP has said that he never wrote vocals for Child. Then again, he did say that The Beatles listened to SMiLE tapes and stole alot of Brian's ideas.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 05:47:02 AM »

Also, I was never deep into all this session tape stuff, but is it correct that "Child is the Father..." never actually had the chorus vocal on that official Brian assembly of the track, and that a bootlegger added it on? Or whats the story with that?

It was fairly common for Brian to do a mono mix/edit of a finished instrumental backing track, then lay that down on one track of a four-track tape and fill the remaining three tracks with vocals. I assume the same thing occurred with "Child..." - the chorus vocals we've heard are probably the overdubs found on the multi-track tape after that official mono mix was laid down on the first track. What makes things a little stickier is that Brian was approaching things in a modular way with SMiLE, so the multi-tracks may only consist of bits of the finished backing track, the parts that Brian had vocals for. I don't know the specifics as to what has been found on the multi-tracks, so I'm just talking off the top of my head here. Maybe someone else can add some more info.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:17:49 AM »

what are the lyrics for "Worms"?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:50:47 AM »

what are the lyrics for "Worms"?

The lyrics for "Worms" are the lyrics of "Roll Plymouth Rock". Darian found them in '03 or whatever, and him and Brian couldn't figure out one of the lyrics. So they called up Van Dyke.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »

I've also heard that one of the four Redwood songs from 1967 had Van Dyke Parks lyrics, any info on that one?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »

I think the Wilson/Parks song for Redwood was called "Sunflower Maiden". I don't think anything is known about it besides the name and the writers.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 05:07:01 PM »

You pose an interesting question - perhaps Van Dyke had some trouble coming up with lyrics (hard to imagine, but possible) and decided to put them off until later, but once Brian's focus changed from the album to searching for a single, lyrics for "album cuts" got permanently placed on the back burner.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 05:24:41 PM »

Another possibility... What if CIFOTM had lyrics by someone other than VDP?  Brian Wilson solo composition perhaps?  Or... gasp... Wilson/Love?   EXTREMELY unlikely, but who knows?  We tend to think of Parks as the lyricist for the Smile album just as Tony Asher was the lyricist for Pet Sounds.  However, Tony Asher only is credited on 8 of 13 tracks.  One of the PS tracks was Wilson/Love and one was Wilson/Sachen, and, of course, the two instrumental tracks were Wilson only.

At least one Smile track (Good Vibrations) was Wilson/Love.  On Smiley Smile, VDP was not originally credited on Wind Chimes and Wonderful.  The latter definitely seems like his handiwork, but, frankly, BWPS credits notwithstanding, Wind Chimes' lyrics have never sounded very Parksian to me.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:35:13 PM by juggler » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 05:34:02 PM »

(deleted)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:35:38 PM by juggler » Logged
SG7
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »

You would have thought there would have been more Wordsworth stuff in it, considering that's what it's named after.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »

Personally I consider both Look and Holidays to be psychedelic songs...

"I Ran" I would guess is a euphemism for tripping.
I think Brian's exotica kick on this album has to do also with the idea that, in psychedelic terminology, when you "trip" it's like like your brain is "going on a trip" to whatever the mind's equivalent of Hawaii is. In turn I think Da Da, Worms, Holidays, Little Pad and even possibly "I Ran" are all directly related to one another, and represent different sections of the same song or different attempts at a single song idea (Little Pad especially considering it's from Smiley Smile sessions technically).
You can definitely hear it on BWPS, the "rock rock roll" part is used. I think possibly that's the reason we don't know about lyrics to some of those early songs. Maybe because somebody threw the tape out because it was embarrassing or had especially psychedelic lyrics. In fact, Brian went in and put down "I Ran" about one week after Revolver had been released, maybe the song was originally an attempt to do something like Tomorrow Never Knows.

I guess that's a really ridiculous idea. But it has a certain logic about it doesn't it? Brian did the same thing with Hang on to your Ego, maybe this is just another example of Brian self censoring.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:22:03 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »

Well, VDP has said that he never wrote vocals for Child. Then again, he did say that The Beatles listened to SMiLE tapes and stole alot of Brian's ideas.

I don't beleive that is true. IIRC Van Dyke told someone on this board that he did in fact write Child lyrics in 1966. Van Dyke does mention in Dom's book the 2004 lyrics are new which begs the question why the original lyrics were not used. Maybe they simply forgot them? Considering the amount of work done on Child it would be odd if verse lyrics were not written. Every other song on the list had lyrics..
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 12:25:36 PM »

I don't beleive that is true. IIRC Van Dyke told someone on this board that he did in fact write Child lyrics in 1966. Van Dyke does mention in Dom's book the 2004 lyrics are new which begs the question why the original lyrics were not used. Maybe they simply forgot them? Considering the amount of work done on Child it would be odd if verse lyrics were not written. Every other song on the list had lyrics..

Good point. I couldn't remember exactly what VDP's words were in reference to not having written lyrics back in '66. I must have remembered from the 2004 book that he said 'original lyrics weren't used' and jumbled it in my head somehow.
I've always thought it was strange that CIFOTM didn't have lyrics either, considering it was on the infamous tracklist, and IIRC every other song on that tracklist at least has SOME lyrics written (and I know that at this point we have pretty much concluded that Brian didn't write the tracklist. Still, I would assume that even if he didn't actually write it, whomever did showed it to him and he approved of it. Those songs ARE the core songs of the album). At the same time, one of the things that seems to come up in the whole 'Why SMiLE Was Never Finished' debates is that, when VDP left it threw Brian for a loop because there were still unfinished lyrics, and without Van's lyrics, how could the album get finished? Now how many songs, when Van left,  needed a bunch of lyrics?
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »

I thought I remembered VDP saying he no longer had his original Smile lyrics -- he gave a reason, lost in a fire or some other accident??  (But Durrie Parks apparently got the acetates, presumably upon divorce).  And the only reason BWPS had original verse lyrics for DYLW was because Frank Holmes had a copy to work from to do his illustrations.  I have to believe there was a set of Child lyrics in 1966 (unless VDP confirms otherwise).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »

I've always thought it was strange that CIFOTM didn't have lyrics either, considering it was on the infamous tracklist, and IIRC every other song on that tracklist at least has SOME lyrics written (and I know that at this point we have pretty much concluded that Brian didn't write the tracklist. Still, I would assume that even if he didn't actually write it, whomever did showed it to him and he approved of it).

Peter Reum showed Brian the handwritten tracklist - the original - in the early 80s. Brian said he'd never seen it before.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »

Didn't Van Dyke go on some kind of record years ago saying that he wrote lyrics for Child Is Father of the Man and that it was a "cowboy song"?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »

Didn't Van Dyke go on some kind of record years ago saying that he wrote lyrics for Child Is Father of the Man and that it was a "cowboy song"?

I think Dennis said that.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 02:14:20 PM »

I've always thought it was strange that CIFOTM didn't have lyrics either, considering it was on the infamous tracklist, and IIRC every other song on that tracklist at least has SOME lyrics written (and I know that at this point we have pretty much concluded that Brian didn't write the tracklist. Still, I would assume that even if he didn't actually write it, whomever did showed it to him and he approved of it).

Peter Reum showed Brian the handwritten tracklist - the original - in the early 80s. Brian said he'd never seen it before.

Which is kinda like asking what his favorite song is.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »

For cripes sakes, man- you of all people should know that you have to take what Brian says with a grain of salt!  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »

For cripes sakes, man- you of all people should know that you have to take what Brian says with a grain of salt!  Grin

I make no comment one way or the other.

BTW, that should be "grain of salt".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »

I make no comment one way or the other.

BTW, that should be "grain of salt".

yes yes, love the quotations!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 02:37:50 PM »

A cowboy song?Huh

Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 02:44:25 PM »

Was that before or after Landy intervention number two? During that second Landy go-round, Brian's answers could be even more inconsistent than usual.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx