-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:10:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  BW Board
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BW Board  (Read 38899 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2011, 03:28:30 AM »

Who in the hell cares? If one is looking for proper grammar and/or spelling on a message board of all things, you have WAY too much time on your hands LOL

No biggie, though.

Anyway, back to the music!

Thanks, Billy  Love
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2011, 03:41:43 AM »

"loosen up, be happy."
"sing sexy Rhonda".

Now that would have been an interesting lyric (instead of "help me Rhonda") for a #1 hit in 1965.  Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2011, 04:47:58 AM »

"loosen up, be happy."
"sing sexy Rhonda".

Now that would have been an interesting lyric (instead of "help me Rhonda") for a #1 hit in 1965.  Grin

Rhonda is now sexy...Thank you John Cowsill!

Even Al's Postcard from California, has a chickwhistle of sorts on this newest version of Rhonda...(Ghiradelli coffee today!)

whose original role may have been borne of brokenhearted desperation "get her outta my heart!"

and, which now has a comehither chick call (mating call) whistle at the intro...

Censorship was heavy in 1965 and TV husbands and wives slept in twin beds...

many records had versions which would pass the censorship police.  police

oldsurferdude
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2011, 04:59:56 AM »

Andrew, if you don't want to read what I post, I am not insulted.  

Not don't want to - am dissuaded due to writing style.

What I find amazing is your choice of "salt-in-the-wound" legal documents... (Quotes - as I did not coin that phrase.)

It was the closest legal document I had to hand.  Grin

Good Grief, Charlie Brown!

That should be "Good Grief, Charlie Brown" (or possibly, "Good Grief", "Charlie Brown") as you didn't "coin the phrase" (either of them - see how this rapidly becomes a) unwieldy & unreadable: and b) illustrates the lunacy of said 'rule').

p.s. Open Jurist had a message on that page..."This page cannot be found."  

Mea culpa - http://openjurist.org/432/f3d/939/brother-records-inc-v-jardine

Concisely, this is a forum for discussion and dissemination, to which end clarity (even at the expense of a degree of grammatical accuracy and impeccable spelling) is paramount. You seem to have sacrificed that clarity for a self-imposed adherence to a set of spurious rules. That's all. This is in no way comparable to, say, the most recent target of my ire. You have a reasoned point to make, but evidently I am not alone in finding the message obscured by the medium.

Lips Sealed
oldsurferdude
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2011, 05:00:24 AM »

Andrew, if you don't want to read what I post, I am not insulted.  

Not don't want to - am dissuaded due to writing style.

What I find amazing is your choice of "salt-in-the-wound" legal documents... (Quotes - as I did not coin that phrase.)

It was the closest legal document I had to hand.  Grin

Good Grief, Charlie Brown!

That should be "Good Grief, Charlie Brown" (or possibly, "Good Grief", "Charlie Brown") as you didn't "coin the phrase" (either of them - see how this rapidly becomes a) unwieldy & unreadable: and b) illustrates the lunacy of said 'rule').

p.s. Open Jurist had a message on that page..."This page cannot be found."  

Mea culpa - http://openjurist.org/432/f3d/939/brother-records-inc-v-jardine

Concisely, this is a forum for discussion and dissemination, to which end clarity (even at the expense of a degree of grammatical accuracy and impeccable spelling) is paramount. You seem to have sacrificed that clarity for a self-imposed adherence to a set of spurious rules. That's all. This is in no way comparable to, say, the most recent target of my ire. You have a reasoned point to make, but evidently I am not alone in finding the message obscured by the medium.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2011, 05:29:15 AM »

I agree that the quotation marks are excessive, which is kind of interesting because otherwise your writing flows well. You seem to use it with every idiomatic expression, reasoning that you didn't make up the expression, but Andrews is quite right. But then, I don't care! "Write how thou wilt"--Aleister Crowley

"Write how thou wilt" - Thank you Mr. Crowley...and to  you for pointing it out... Kiss

My goal is "flow and message" and there are enormous differences between British and American English.

For example, in American English, "I love you." (the quotes enclose the punctuation in American English and is correct.)

And, in British English, "I love you".  (the punctuation is correct outside the quotes)

We are nations at war, and I am not willing to be distracted from the discussion of the music, which is purportedly the reason for the existence of an informal message board.   

For those who are interested, there is a ton of information about correct usage in the respective languages.  This can be a "teachable moment" for all. 

And, ee cummings is a favorite of mine...a fellow "non-conformist"  Wink

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2011, 05:57:28 AM »

As an American myself and an English teacher to foreigners using mostly British textbooks, I don't think that the rules of Standard American and Standard British English are that enormously different. A few punctuation differences, as you pointed out, about  a few hundred words of vocabulary(out of maybe 500 000-1 000 000), mostly common concrete nouns, some omitted u's and a few very minor differences in grammar. Biggest difference is accent. Compared to other big languages like Spanish or even German, I think most of the differences in English dialects are small, unless you are talking about very small, specialized dialects, like, I don't know, Jamaican or Ebonics or whatever.

I think Brian Wilson would agree with me.(to keep it on topic--I apologize.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:58:23 AM by lance » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2011, 06:13:36 AM »

My goal is "flow and message" and there are enormous differences between British and American English.

"Two countries separated by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw (and not Wilde, as I'd assumed for many years)

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2011, 06:18:52 AM »

As an American myself and an English teacher to foreigners using mostly British textbooks, I don't think that the rules of Standard American and Standard British English are that enormously different. A few punctuation differences, as you pointed out, about  a few hundred words of vocabulary(out of maybe 500 000-1 000 000), mostly common concrete nouns, some omitted u's and a few very minor differences in grammar. Biggest difference is accent. Compared to other big languages like Spanish or even German, I think most of the differences in English dialects are small, unless you are talking about very small, specialized dialects, like, I don't know, Jamaican or Ebonics or whatever.

Glad to see a fellow teacher on this forum...I too, taught ESL (English as a Second Language) for a time, in a vocational school, in the 1970's and later on, used the West Indian Reader to teach phonics to First Graders, during a time when I was not teaching 4 and  5 year olds...I had no textbooks for the kids; so I "improvised."  

There were illustrations which needed a "cross-cultural" explanation to the American kids in the classroom. But, as I had kids from Jamaica and Trinidad, it was a time for them to explain to the new American classmates, what those illustrations meant. What comes to mind, "a bat" which did not resemble an American Baseball bat.   And, it was superior to the American phonic books, I found. (That should make Andrew happy.)

Some technical writers who do a lot of international work have been using the British versions of punctuation, which still look odd to me, because an American student's paper would be marked incorrect, and would thusly lose credit on an exam for putting a period outside the quotes. That would be from a year long stint with 5th grade (11-12 year olds, in the US.  We have used a text called Warriner's). It is a challenge.  

This has all "taken on a life of its' own" -  Back to «la musique!»  Wink

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:23:33 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2011, 06:48:53 AM »

I'm American, and when I was in college I spent a semester in England. I remember taking pains to change all the spellings in my papers to British after my computer made sure they were all American. I'm sure my punctuation was iffy in some spots, because I didn't grasp the differences. I remember reading newspapers over there and thinking, "They don't know how to write." I was used to the New York Times. But I guess it was partly the punctuation that threw me off. I mean, if you use "that," you don't use a comma; if you use "which," you use a comma! Not in Britain. Wow, this is way off-topic.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »

Glad to see a fellow teacher on this forum...I too, taught ESL (English as a Second Language) for a time, in a vocational school, in the 1970's and later on, used the West Indian Reader to teach phonics to First Graders, during a time when I was not teaching 4 and  5 year olds...I had no textbooks for the kids; so I "improvised."  

There were illustrations which needed a "cross-cultural" explanation to the American kids in the classroom. But, as I had kids from Jamaica and Trinidad, it was a time for them to explain to the new American classmates, what those illustrations meant. What comes to mind, "a bat" which did not resemble an American Baseball bat.   And, it was superior to the American phonic books, I found. (That should make Andrew happy.)

Some technical writers who do a lot of international work have been using the British versions of punctuation, which still look odd to me, because an American student's paper would be marked incorrect, and would thusly lose credit on an exam for putting a period outside the quotes. That would be from a year long stint with 5th grade (11-12 year olds, in the US.  We have used a text called Warriner's). It is a challenge.  

This has all "taken on a life of its' own" -  Back to «la musique!»  Wink

I've yet to find an American textbook that matches the best British books. A sad fact, but true. I think having an Empire first gave them a head start.  Grin
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »

I have to agree with just about everyone on this board...Denni, you're gorgeous. Hope you stick around...just ignore the fodaheads!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »

Ok, I'm going to move this to the Sandbox...nothing on topic here.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »

Ok, I'm going to move this to the Sandbox...nothing on topic here.

hence the title....  Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2011, 10:16:13 AM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:36 AM »

Yes, sorry. I was just coming back to delete my post, actually.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2011, 12:22:14 PM »

Yes, sorry. I was just coming back to delete my post, actually.

Not necessary at all. I think the discussion was already drifting off a few pages back, and wasn't it me who started that language side-discussion? Feel free to continue. Whatever is posted, it fits here in the sandbox.

dennyschild
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2011, 02:51:14 PM »

I have to agree with just about everyone on this board...Denni, you're gorgeous. Hope you stick around...just ignore the fodaheads!

deleted
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 06:14:13 PM by dennyschild » Logged
dennyschild
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »

deleted
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 06:15:06 PM by dennyschild » Logged
sherryluvsbrian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2011, 12:25:43 AM »

Alright, let's get to the subject at hand. One of our own here is getting bad mouthed on another board, one which she has no part of. Yes, a person in her situation might cause a few people to react with some doubt, or scepticism. If you have something to say, be decent enough to contact Denni on here, privately. Going to another board to talk about somebody behind their back is not cool in anyway shape or form. 

I'm one of the guilty party on this. We talked and got it straighten out. I never saw this thread until now Cry
I hate to think i caused her trouble here.

If you want to know me, listen to my music.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: