-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:50:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  BW Board
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BW Board  (Read 38386 times)
dennyschild
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2011, 01:18:48 PM »

You're Dennis's kid?

That's so friggin' cool!

Yer purdy.

Thank you.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2011, 02:25:03 PM »

Denni, what did you expect? You come onto a public forum and announce that you're the illegitimate child of Dennis Wilson and then expect no one to comment on it, I find that very naive.

Just to make the point, what has the traffic been like on this board this week as a result of this news. Has it increased ten fold, a hundred fold or more?

Other societies have less acerbic terminology for the description of a child born "outside of a marriage" The French use the term "fille naturelle» for a girl.  It does not make her any less a person, who merits respect. 

This board which can be awesome for discussion but the debate can be acerbic and without need.  It disrespects the reason that we have the interest in the discussion, the music, not gossip.   

This lovely girl, should be accorded some gentleness, understanding and kindness as "she finds her way."  But she should not have to "go away" and be subject to "schoolyard bullies."   

I suspect that a large percentage of this board are well educated and versed with "technical tools and information" that blow me away.   Education and information should be a "tool" and not a "weapon."

But, we are living in an age where everything is "twitted or facebook logged," etc., and since this is sort of a "small world" in terms of music interest in the Boys, "word travels" fast in this electronic forum.   And this board tends not to be censored, as is the "American Way," so words need to be "chosen carefully" as they can be forwarded and republished in another forum, which is not always nice, especially if entire posts are "lifted without proper attribution."   

It is wonderful to see a young person delve into this music, but "baby steps" might be the pace at which it  might be approached.  Wink

And, to Denni, please rent Dr. Zhivago...the story of an artist (poet) whose legendary personage was as creative and intense as Dennis.  It reminds me so much of this scenario as it has been presented.  It is old (but timeless) and still very cool.   

***And I suspect the number of "hits" to the site might reasonably also reflect the Reagan event, which AGD and others helped provide us better quality video. 

"Holy" "Hell" "that "  "is "  "a "  "lot "  "of "  "quotes " LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »

Denni, what did you expect? You come onto a public forum and announce that you're the illegitimate child of Dennis Wilson and then expect no one to comment on it, I find that very naive.

Just to make the point, what has the traffic been like on this board this week as a result of this news. Has it increased ten fold, a hundred fold or more?

Other societies have less acerbic terminology for the description of a child born "outside of a marriage" The French use the term "fille naturelle» for a girl.  It does not make her any less a person, who merits respect. 

This board which can be awesome for discussion but the debate can be acerbic and without need.  It disrespects the reason that we have the interest in the discussion, the music, not gossip.   

This lovely girl, should be accorded some gentleness, understanding and kindness as "she finds her way."  But she should not have to "go away" and be subject to "schoolyard bullies."   

I suspect that a large percentage of this board are well educated and versed with "technical tools and information" that blow me away.   Education and information should be a "tool" and not a "weapon."

But, we are living in an age where everything is "twitted or facebook logged," etc., and since this is sort of a "small world" in terms of music interest in the Boys, "word travels" fast in this electronic forum.   And this board tends not to be censored, as is the "American Way," so words need to be "chosen carefully" as they can be forwarded and republished in another forum, which is not always nice, especially if entire posts are "lifted without proper attribution."   

It is wonderful to see a young person delve into this music, but "baby steps" might be the pace at which it  might be approached.  Wink

And, to Denni, please rent Dr. Zhivago...the story of an artist (poet) whose legendary personage was as creative and intense as Dennis.  It reminds me so much of this scenario as it has been presented.  It is old (but timeless) and still very cool.   

***And I suspect the number of "hits" to the site might reasonably also reflect the Reagan event, which AGD and others helped provide us better quality video. 

"Holy" "Hell" "that "  "is "  "a "  "lot "  "of "  "quotes " LOL

Anyone here seen the Chris Farley SNL "Bennett Brauer" bit?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7msdo_saturday-night-live-bennett-brauer_fun

Totally reminded me of it  LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2011, 02:41:03 PM »

How to use quotation marks correctly

"Do not use quotations to add emphasis to a word or words in a written work. Only use them when they are words being borrowed from someone else."

Reading fdp's posts is not unlike listening to a poorly delivered sermon with excessive emphasis: the intent may be well-intentioned, but the delivery is very distracting. Just as I do actually hear someone in my head shouting when someone posts here in caps, so I hear someone laying stress on certain words by speaking slowly when they're contained within " ", just like Maggie Thatcher used to speak in parliament or in public generally.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:46:21 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »

"Do not use quotations to add emphasis to a word or words in a written work. Only use them when they are words being borrowed from someone else."

Reading fdp's posts is not unlike listening to a poorly delivered sermon with excessive emphasis: the intent may be well-intentioned, but the delivery is very distracting. Just as I do actually hear someone in my head shouting when someone posts here in caps, so I hear someone laying stress on certain words by speaking slowly when they're contained within " ", just like Maggie Thatcher used to speak in parliament or in public generally.

True, I always thought you used italics for that little extra something.

No mas, por favor.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »

That's probably more correct; but there's no italics key on most keyboards, while you can hit the quotations while you're typing, without breaking stride.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »

That's probably more correct; but there's no italics key on most keyboards, while you can hit the quotations while you're typing, without breaking stride.

If people can drink their Starbucks while typing, they can press that little I button.  Smiley

No mas, por favor.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »

We have had this discussion at other times about quotations.  When a term of art, especially a legal one, is told in context - then quotes are appropriate.  There is such poor grammar and spelling on this message board that is is appalling but I am not here to correct context or grammar or orthography (spelling.)   And, I don't.  It is the message from the person and not the style.  Otherwise it would have a "chilling effect" on posting and posters in general.

There are many good college websites which allow for a complete description of the appropriateness of quotations.  It is an instance where it is better to be safe than sorry (which should be quoted because it is an expression) and I find your critique a value judgment.  An expression is one that is" borrowed from" another, if you did not invent it requires quotes. That is American English.

It is no less important than attribution of "lifting a post from BBB" and "not giving it credit" (attribution) to where it was posting.  (That happened just a few days ago.)

It shows possession, and intellectual property in another entity.  I would prefer to over-quote or over-attribute to a source, which I was taught in graduate and post graduate school than let the reader assume that it was my own original thought.  It combats plagiarism which is rampant in the colleges and universities.  I take a class nearly every semester to remain "current in the literature."  Each term paper in certain universities, must be signed by the author that all work that is not "your own" is appropriately "cited" by either quotes or source material.      

And my post earlier included quotes from "legal source material," which must always be quoted.  I had a legal dictionary on my lap to be sure that what I wrote was "legally accurate" even though it was "not legal advice."      

If my defense of that young person  being called "illegitimate" on this forum, is offensive to you, it is surprising.  

It shows intolerance in a place where it is tolerance is one of the "rules of the road."    

The "rules of the road" on this board are to "build each other up, and not tear them down."  Rule # 2.  I think you just violated it.

We are here to discuss Beach Boys music.  Period.  We can disagree without being disagreeable.  One can only hope.

Thanks for the "Maggie Thatcher" comment which I will accept as a compliment.  Wink  

And, Starbucks, no...everything here, "Runs on Dunkin' " (That is an expression from an American coffee TV commercial.)

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »

We have had this discussion at other times about quotations.  When a term of art, especially a legal one, is told in context - then quotes are appropriate.  There is such poor grammar and spelling on this message board that is is appalling but I am not here to correct context or grammar or orthography (spelling.)   And, I don't.  It is the message from the person and not the style.  Otherwise it would have a "chilling effect" on posting and posters in general.

There are many good college websites which allow for a complete description of the appropriateness of quotations.  It is an instance where it is better to be safe than sorry (which should be quoted because it is an expression) and I find your critique a value judgment.  An expression is one that is" borrowed from" another, if you did not invent it requires quotes. That is American English.

It is no less important than attribution of "lifting a post from BBB" and "not giving it credit" (attribution) to where it was posting.  (That happened just a few days ago.)

It shows possession, and intellectual property in another entity.  I would prefer to over-quote or over-attribute to a source, which I was taught in graduate and post graduate school than let the reader assume that it was my own original thought.  It combats plagiarism which is rampant in the colleges and universities.  I take a class nearly every semester to remain "current in the literature."  Each term paper in certain universities, must be signed by the author that all work that is not "your own" is appropriately "cited" by either quotes or source material.      

And my post earlier included quotes from "legal source material," which must always be quoted.  I had a legal dictionary on my lap to be sure that what I wrote was "legally accurate" even though it was "not legal advice."      

If my defense of that young person  being called "illegitimate" on this forum, is offensive to you, it is surprising.  

It shows intolerance in a place where it is tolerance is one of the "rules of the road."    

The "rules of the road" on this board are to "build each other up, and not tear them down."  Rule # 2.  I think you just violated it.

We are here to discuss Beach Boys music.  Period.  We can disagree without being disagreeable.  One can only hope.

Thanks for the "Maggie Thatcher" comment which I will accept as a compliment.  Wink  

And, Starbucks, no...everything here, "Runs on Dunkin' " (That is an expression from an American coffee TV commercial.)

"chilling effect"
"borrowed from"
"lifting a post from BBB"
"not giving it credit"
"current in the literature."  
"your own"
"cited"
"legal source material,"
"legally accurate"
"not legal advice."
"illegitimate"
"rules of the road."
"Maggie Thatcher"

"When a term of art, especially a legal one, is told in context - then quotes are appropriate. "

None of the above are terms of art - they are common, everyday phrases (or a personal name) which require no further context or emphasis than the sentence or paragraph that contains them: there is no source to attribute for, say "your own" or "borrowed from." I don't consider it plagiarism to use the term "rules of the road" or "legally accurate" without quote marks.

I'm sure what you are saying on this board has merit: unfortunately, I find it increasingly difficult to read your posts as the copious use of quotation marks is hugely distracting. If this is how you were taught to write at college, then your tutors were doing a very poor job, as your style actively impedes the transmission of information.

Here is a link to a legal document some of us are familiar with - brother-records-inc-v-jardine. Note that there are quotes (and citations) where appropriate - not used haphazardly and on random words and phrases.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:20:32 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »

"chilling effect"
"borrowed from"
"lifting a post from BBB"
"not giving it credit"
"current in the literature."  
"your own"
"cited"
"legal source material,"
"legally accurate"
"not legal advice."
"illegitimate"
"rules of the road."
"Maggie Thatcher"

"When a term of art, especially a legal one, is told in context - then quotes are appropriate. "

None of the above are terms of art - they are common, everyday phrases (or a personal name) which require no further context or emphasis than the sentence or paragraph that contains them: there is no source to attribute for, say "your own" or "borrowed from." I don't consider it plagiarism to use the term "rules of the road" or "legally accurate" without quote marks.

I'm sure what you are saying on this board has merit: unfortunately, I find it increasingly difficult to read your posts as the copious use of quotation marks is hugely distracting. If this is how you were taught to write at college, then your tutors were doing a very poor job, as your style actively impedes the transmission of information.

Here is a link to a legal document some of us are familiar with - brother-records-inc-v-jardine. Note that there are quotes (and citations) where appropriate - not used haphazardly and on random words and phrases.

Andrew, if you don't want to read what I post, I am not insulted.  

That is your choice...

What I find amazing is your choice of "salt-in-the-wound" legal documents... (Quotes - as I did not coin that phrase.)  

Just at a time when this wonderfully gifted sphere of sorts is in a "healing mode."

Good Grief, Charlie Brown!

p.s. Open Jurist had a message on that page..."This page cannot be found." 

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:38:06 PM by filledeplage » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2011, 04:40:18 PM »

Who in the hell cares? If one is looking for proper grammar and/or spelling on a message board of all things, you have WAY too much time on your hands LOL

No biggie, though.

Anyway, back to the music!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2011, 04:53:55 PM »

Well, if someone is going to post a 2 or 3 sentences, then fine, I agree, who cares. Now, if someone is going to post 2 or more paragraphs, then yes, using proper grammar and spelling can be an immense help.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »

As Murry said, Simplify

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:06 PM »

I thought he said syncopate?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2011, 06:41:31 PM »

"loosen up, be happy."

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SG7
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2011, 07:43:46 PM »

Someone needs to get their glass eye out!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »

Someone needs to get their glass eye out!

lol  LOL LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2011, 08:20:14 PM »

We need correct grammer in the culture at large---it frustrates me no end.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
SG7
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2011, 08:37:55 PM »

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2011, 09:34:20 PM »

What amazes me is how many people use "alot" in a sentence.  There's no such word as "alot"!   It's "a lot"!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2011, 09:50:32 PM »

I agree that the quotation marks are excessive, which is kind of interesting because otherwise your writing flows well. You seem to use it with every idiomatic expression, reasoning that you didn't make up the expression, but Andrews is quite right. But then, I don't care! "Write how thou wilt"--Aleister Crowley
SG7
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »

We should all start writing in hieroglyphics again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2011, 12:41:40 AM »

I agree that the quotation marks are excessive, which is kind of interesting because otherwise your writing flows well. You seem to use it with every idiomatic expression, reasoning that you didn't make up the expression, but Andrews is quite right. But then, I don't care! "Write how thou wilt"--Aleister Crowley

Ah, yes - "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2011, 12:52:14 AM »

Andrew, if you don't want to read what I post, I am not insulted.  

Not don't want to - am dissuaded due to writing style.

What I find amazing is your choice of "salt-in-the-wound" legal documents... (Quotes - as I did not coin that phrase.)

It was the closest legal document I had to hand.  Grin

Good Grief, Charlie Brown!

That should be "Good Grief, Charlie Brown" (or possibly, "Good Grief", "Charlie Brown") as you didn't "coin the phrase" (either of them - see how this rapidly becomes a) unwieldy & unreadable: and b) illustrates the lunacy of said 'rule').

p.s. Open Jurist had a message on that page..."This page cannot be found."  

Mea culpa - http://openjurist.org/432/f3d/939/brother-records-inc-v-jardine

Concisely, this is a forum for discussion and dissemination, to which end clarity (even at the expense of a degree of grammatical accuracy and impeccable spelling) is paramount. You seem to have sacrificed that clarity for a self-imposed adherence to a set of spurious rules. That's all. This is in no way comparable to, say, the most recent target of my ire. You have a reasoned point to make, but evidently I am not alone in finding the message obscured by the medium.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:57:45 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2011, 01:22:45 AM »

"loosen up, be happy."
"sing sexy Rhonda".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: