gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:17:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Today/Summer Days vinyls  (Read 6573 times)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 02:36:31 PM »

BTW, I just did some research, and the number next to the RIAA symbol designates which pressing plant the record came from.  A blank designates Capitol's Scranton, PA plant (as would a "2" or a "3"), and a "5" or a "6" designates the Los Angeles plant.  A "4" would designate Capitol's Jacksonville, IL plant, which didn't open until the summer of 1965 -- after Today! was released.  Records are pretty heavy by the truckload, so it makes perfect sense that Capitol would service the western half of the US out of the LA plant and the eastern half out of Scranton.  As the record business grew, it would make sense to have a plant in the central US, hence Jacksonville, IL.  Around 1970 they would also open a fourth plant in Winchester, VA.

Beatles collectors are all over this, with different values being placed on an "East Coast" or "West Coast" pressing of Beatles LPs.

So it's possible to have a first pressing Today! with a blank or a "6" next to the RIAA symbol.  But still impossible to have a 1966 inner sleeve on a March 1965 first pressing.  And any copy with a "4" and mentioning Jacksonville, IL on the back cover is definitely a later pressing.

Lee
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 01:24:29 AM »

I find the plant designation very interesting. It's also done for the www.beachboys45.nl web site to distinguish the different Starline pressings. It's not completely finished yet, but - with help of some dedicated fans - of several Starline-series we do have an overview of the different plants. In this case other symbols were used (* = LA, 0 = Jacksonville, >-- = Winchester, AIM triangle or Anvil notation = Scranton). It's interesting to see the changes. The first series is just LA or Scranton. Jacksonville and Winchester also start pressing Starline 45's in the early 70ies, but Scranton suddenly is out of the picture (as it apparently was closed). When they started pressing the blue labels, 3 plants were still responsible for production, but it almost looks like jobs were divided. The A-prefix series was mainly done by LA and Winchester, the X-prefix however was mainly a Winchester and Jacksonvillle production.

Again, very interesting, but I'm wandering off now. Back to Today/Summer Days.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »

BTW, I just did some research, and the number next to the RIAA symbol designates which pressing plant the record came from.  A blank designates Capitol's Scranton, PA plant (as would a "2" or a "3"), and a "5" or a "6" designates the Los Angeles plant.  A "4" would designate Capitol's Jacksonville, IL plant, which didn't open until the summer of 1965 -- after Today! was released.  Records are pretty heavy by the truckload, so it makes perfect sense that Capitol would service the western half of the US out of the LA plant and the eastern half out of Scranton.  As the record business grew, it would make sense to have a plant in the central US, hence Jacksonville, IL.  Around 1970 they would also open a fourth plant in Winchester, VA.

Beatles collectors are all over this, with different values being placed on an "East Coast" or "West Coast" pressing of Beatles LPs.

So it's possible to have a first pressing Today! with a blank or a "6" next to the RIAA symbol.  But still impossible to have a 1966 inner sleeve on a March 1965 first pressing.  And any copy with a "4" and mentioning Jacksonville, IL on the back cover is definitely a later pressing.

Lee

Interesting stuff, Lee.  You got me curious so I had a look and mine is definitely a blank Scranton.  Weird!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 06:55:18 PM »

So anybody else get these? 

I kinda wanna order them, and am curious on the quality. 
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 08:15:24 PM »

Yeah. Well worth having. Great packaging and the sound is way better than the cds and closer to ,or maybe even better than, the original pressings (clear on Summer Days and muddy as hell on Today, the way Brian mixed them)

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 08:41:02 PM »

Yeah. Well worth having. Great packaging and the sound is way better than the cds and closer to ,or maybe even better than, the original pressings (clear on Summer Days and muddy as hell on Today, the way Brian mixed them)

that's cool.  I've always wondered about Today, mainly on "please let me wonder".  That tune in particular is really muddy.  Summer Days is great to me though.  thanks!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx