gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:00:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Listen to this...  (Read 6597 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:20:02 AM »

... and tell me what you're hearing. Or not, as the case might be.

Long Promised Road

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:29:40 AM »

What the....?!

After a first quick listen I'm guessing this is an out-of-phase stereo version, but can't verify right it now.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:37:34 AM »

What the....?!

After a first quick listen I'm guessing this is an out-of-phase stereo version, but can't verify right it now.

No, it's not... nor is it a hard left - or hard right - pan of the released version. Those were my first two thoughts.  If it was OOPSed, Carl's vocal wouldn't be anything like that clear, and as the Moog's in both left and right channels, it's not a hard pan.

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »

A very different mix, without most of the Moog parts familiar from the finished version on Surf's Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:44:26 AM »

A very different mix, without most of the Moog parts familiar from the finished version on Surf's Up

Moog, bvs, keyboards...

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:48:47 AM »

Oh yes, I can hear the bvs are quieter, but the inadequacies of my laptop speakers won't do this justice ! Is this a work in progress mix to go with the promo film that it's posted with ?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:50:48 AM »

Oh yes, I can hear the bvs are quieter, but the inadequacies of my laptop speakers won't do this justice ! Is this a work in progress mix to go with the promo film that it's posted with ?

That's currently my best guess - some kind of early reduction mix.

Interesting, no ?  Smiley

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:55:26 AM »

wonder if this is an escapee bonus track from the planned 5.1 version of the Surf's Up album? That gentle acoustic guitar and piano in there suggest it might have been pre-overdubs. Almost a demo version -  you can hear  backing vox in there that I've not been able to spot in the released mix until now.

Note that this has been on YouTube for the best part of 18 months.  What the fiddler else is on there!

“We live in divisive times.”
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 06:56:44 AM »

quite an interesting find, yes... Smiley
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 07:26:41 AM »

I think this is from the 5.1 mix on the EH dvd, I don't know how but someone has extracted the 6 channels into sepeat tracks, and then played around with each track to make a "New" mix. This is done alot with the Beatles Rock Band game too ,alot of great sounding bootlegs and mixes have come out this. And it's something I'd love to do myself!!!
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 07:28:13 AM »

How about Surf's up next via the 5.1. mixes please Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 07:28:40 AM »

I think this is from the 5.1 mix on the EH dvd, I don't know how but someone has extracted the 6 channels into sepeat tracks, and then played around with each track to make a "New" mix. This is done alot with the Beatles Rock Band game too ,alot of great sounding bootlegs and mixes have come out this. And it's something I'd love to do myself!!!

That might well be an excellent call. Was trying to thin where there was an officially released 5.1 mix of this and you nailed it.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 07:32:34 AM »

Excellent call.  Grin

letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 07:38:51 AM »

Thank you guys, Glad I can help you out for once Grin I like to think Ive got good ears. Now if only I had the software to extract the 5.1. mixes myself.... One can dream, next thing you know is that the Beach Boys Smile will get released this summer!!!! lol Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:44:07 AM by letsmakeit31 » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »

Yep, it's the same "video" that accompanies the 5.1 mix of the song on the ENDLESS HARMONY DVD as well. My guess is that we are only hearing two channels of Linnet's remix - probably the "front" two channels as I recall the backing vocals were primarily mixed to the "rear" two channels and those are barely audible here.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 09:46:11 AM »

Excellent teamwork.  Cheesy

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »

i have the EH dvd with a surround so,

so how do i get these "mixes"?
do I listen to separate speakers for different parts?
do i mess with the balence?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 10:58:42 AM »

i have the EH dvd with a surround so,

so how do i get these "mixes"?
do I listen to separate speakers for different parts?
do i mess with the balence?
You need a DVD audio extract program Google it up I'm sure their's one or two free programs or at least trial ones, Then extract each audio feed one by one.
No need to mess with balance, or speakers, You just need the right program that's all Smiley
In fact I need to do this myself!!!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »

when/if the Surfs Up dvd audio came out, imgaine how til i die & feel flows would sound....i would get lost in the misticism of feel flows.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 01:34:06 PM »

Some years ago. I sent an e-mail to Mark Linett asking about Surf's Up 5.1 DVD, and he told me about it: the project was cancelled, because the DVD-Audio format is dead (his words). The mix was prepared, but Capitol only agreed to release Pet Sounds 5.1 (and only some years after the mix was made).
But in 50th anniversary, this is the  year to release it, or never.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »

Some years ago. I sent an e-mail to Mark Linett asking about Surf's Up 5.1 DVD, and he told me about it: the project was cancelled, because the DVD-Audio format is dead (his words). The mix was prepared, but Capitol only agreed to release Pet Sounds 5.1 (and only some years after the mix was made).

I remember that even a couple of magazines had already announced the release of the Surf's Up DVD-A and for me it was a major letdown when it didn't come out. Would have loved to hear it, not to mention "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again"... This could've been a great starting point for establishing a couple of records other than Pet Sounds as Beach Boys album classics.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 02:14:57 PM »

I'm sure Adam can expand on this in greater detail, eloquence, and from more informed experience, but to my ears what Carl did was record an acoustic guitar foundation track either by himself, or with some sort of rudimentary time keeping thingy, a metronome or something he programed with the same box that they used for the "drums" on Till I Die.... and sang along with a scratch vocal track and then built the recording up around that and this is an in-progress mix while still stacking/experimenting with overdubs etc.

.... or something like that.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »

What's not mentioned too often is that many Blu-ray players (in combination with the new generation of receivers that can handle the HD audio of Blu-rays) actually play DVD-Audio discs at their full resolution. I had purchased the DVD-A of PET SOUNDS back when it came out just to have the standard resolution 5.1 surround mix. After upgrading to a Blu-ray player and new receiver last year, I popped in the PET SOUNDS disc and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to hear it at the full 96 kHz/24-bit HD audio. It sounded great!

Anyway, given that there has to be more Blu-ray players sold than DVD-A players by now, perhaps Capitol could rethink the SURF'S UP 5.1 release.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 02:41:26 PM »

How about a Neil Young style "Beach Boys archives" blu-ray release in a big old box?Huh
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »

I'm sure Adam can expand on this in greater detail, eloquence, and from more informed experience, but to my ears what Carl did was record an acoustic guitar foundation track either by himself, or with some sort of rudimentary time keeping thingy, a metronome or something he programed with the same box that they used for the "drums" on Till I Die.... and sang along with a scratch vocal track and then built the recording up around that and this is an in-progress mix while still stacking/experimenting with overdubs etc.

.... or something like that.

That may be, but if he wrote this on guitar, I'm stunned.  I'll tell you why.

Between the complexity of the chords and murkiness of the mix, this is easily THE MOST difficult Beach Boys song I have ever had to work out.  In fact, the thing made no sense to me at all until I stopped thinking about the relationships of the chords and started thinking about the SHAPES of the chords.  So much of this song is just certain chord formations moved up and down on the keyboard, or clustered chords where only one note shifts, while picking a note in the bass that clashes as much as possible.  The song simply doesn't make sense any other way then moving your hand around on a keyboard.  The chords are just that weird and they're impossible to keep straight without thinking of them visually as opposed to harmonically.  For me, anyway. 

So it's hard for me to believe that Carl wrote it on guitar and then figured out these bizarre voicings that never would transpose to or from guitar (or at least I wouldn't think they would).  Also, in the bridge, the foundational chord structure is gone in this mix.  You hear the synth flourishes but no chords.  That suggests to me that it's not that the basic keyboard bed wasn't recorded yet, but that it was mixed out (evidence of this is that I do hear a couple of notes of the Wurlitzer at one point on this mix).

So I vote remix for this.  It's pretty cool, anyway.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:40:03 PM by adamghost » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx