gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 09:26:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last nights show now up on YouTube  (Read 18410 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »

Just wanted to clear that up! Grin
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2011, 01:18:34 PM »

eh...Your wifes name isn't Carrie is it? Shocked

LOL THAT was funny LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »

I know that some Brianistas – and I use the term lovingly – resist going to see the Mike-Bruce BBs, but I checked them out last summer and they put on a great show. It's a fine band they've got there. And they go deeper into the catalog than you might think. It's nearly all from 1966 or earlier, but it's great to hear tracks like "Ballad of Ol' Betsy" and "I'm So Young".

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2011, 02:56:07 PM »

Last night's show was exactly as I expected, a 20 minute fair representation of what The Beach Boys sound like now, with a couple of additions. It was very touching to see Al onstage, and he seemed genuinely pleased to be there. There were some weaker moments in Mike's vocals, but given his veteran status that's only to be expected sometimes. The choice of songs was very good as well, though I did note the inclusion of Kokomo as a sign of Mike stamping his authority on proceedings (as in "I'm going to play the hit that Brian had nothing to do with").
It will be very interesting to see if this reunion has legs, and let's hope David Marks comes along for the ride if there's a next time...
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »

the inclusion of Kokomo as a sign of Mike stamping his authority on proceedings (as in "I'm going to play the hit that Brian had nothing to do with").

at this point, i think this is kind of a stupid statement.  Everyone would have been shocked if this wasn't played.  Nothing to do with showing up brian. 
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »

Let's go easy on these guys, and Mike's voice in particular.

Both of my Grandfathers were long dead by 70 years of age, so let's just be pleased that they can even get up there and do it, let alone sound pretty damn great doing so, which is the important part!

And as for Myke Love rushing in the save anyone's grand kids: he did save David Marks from falling off a balcony and to certain death, but of course oldsurferdue considers that just another selfish and unacceptable act from the worst person on the face of the earth who just so happen to be the front man, co-lyricist, co-lead singer of the band he pretends to be a fan of.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »

Some people here really amaze me at times. There was this big excitment over Al being there for the "reunion"(which was damn good in my opinion), but as soon as the first note is sung, out come the boxing gloves and the stupid "Myke Luhv" business.  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2011, 11:32:11 PM »

Is it just me or as they age are Mike and Bruce starting to look uncannily like each other?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2011, 01:55:43 AM »

The choice of songs was very good as well, though I did note the inclusion of Kokomo as a sign of Mike stamping his authority on proceedings (as in "I'm going to play the hit that Brian had nothing to do with").

Calalifornia Girls - signature tune, concert opener for so long it got tedious
Sloop John B - another sig tune, and a nice nod to Alan
Good Vibrations - well, duh !
Kokomo - most recent #1: that's why it was included at this, and pretty much every other show since late 1988
Help Me, Rhonda - another #1, another one for Alan
Fun, Fun, Fun - the third sig tune and even Brian uses this as a closing run.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2011, 01:58:36 AM »

Some people here really amaze me at times. There was this big excitment over Al being there for the "reunion"(which was damn good in my opinion), but as soon as the first note is sung, out come the boxing gloves and the stupid "Myke Luhv" business.  Roll Eyes

You have to factor in that OSD isn't actually a BB fan, but a troll. Everything he posts is done for effect, not from any shred of either belief or knowledge.

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2011, 02:22:23 AM »

The choice of songs was very good as well, though I did note the inclusion of Kokomo as a sign of Mike stamping his authority on proceedings (as in "I'm going to play the hit that Brian had nothing to do with").

Calalifornia Girls - signature tune, concert opener for so long it got tedious
Sloop John B - another sig tune, and a nice nod to Alan
Good Vibrations - well, duh !
Kokomo - most recent #1: that's why it was included at this, and pretty much every other show since late 1988
Help Me, Rhonda - another #1, another one for Alan
Fun, Fun, Fun - the third sig tune and even Brian uses this as a closing run.
Agreed, the set list writes itself, just stating that the choice was spot on. And maybe I was a little harsh about Mike wanting to stamp his authority on proceedings ; I like Kokomo, and Mike is proud of its status.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »

I was cringing at first, Mike's voice was incredibly weak, and he was stiff as a board...his face looked like he had painful gas or something...if anyone didn't notice that they are not paying attention. To say it was better by Fun Fun Fun is true, but that was a real low bar to get over. Bruce was a non entity, although it seemed he forgot the words to Sloop John B which has to be nearly impossible at this point.  Stamos, go away please. Christian and the band sounded good enough. Al's stock just skyrocketed because his voice sounded fantastic, compared to Mike he sounded like a teenager. The fact that he was looking quizzically at his amp and motioning at his monitor shows he's still Al, not only in voice, but in all ways. Jardine's presence absolutely saved that set IMO.

Agree with every word of this.  Al was absolutely the highlight...especially "Help Me Rhonda" (a song I'm not usually that crazy about).  
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:48:11 AM by Menace Wilson » Logged

"Jeff, you care." --BW
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »

Sounded loads better than the terrible mix that was last nights Half Time Show.

Al sounded really great. As did Christian. Fun stuff.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2011, 02:32:34 PM »

Kokomo. There biggest hit! A given IMO.

Just read a post by Bruce on the Brit site. More on the weekend but he mentions he, Mike and Al talked a lot over the 2 days. I would not be surprised if that conversation included the possibility of Al doing some more shows.

1-This year is all about the 50th for the Beach Boys. Mike will have to discuss that or bring that up in every pre-show interview yet at the same time say he is the only original member.

2-Mikes voice does sound weaker now. Al can share the load.

3-The addition of Al is a point of difference to promoters over what the Mike and Bruce show has offered over the last dozen years.

BTW As was mentioned, the choice of darker clothing and jeans looked great. The Hawaiian shirts look bad.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:34:20 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »

Sounded loads better than the terrible mix that was last nights Half Time Show.

Al sounded really great. As did Christian. Fun stuff.

well, yeah; but the BBs didnt have any fireworks. Doesn't that count for something?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
oldsurferdude
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2011, 02:59:37 PM »

You have to factor in that OSD isn't actually a BB fan, but a troll. Everything he posts is done for effect, not from any shred of either belief or knowledge.
Hey-you couldn't wait to slap those vids on here as pathetic as they are (except HMR thanks to Al) so pipe down Jack. You don't like my posts and I don't like your junk either-can't take the heat, get the Hell outta the kitchen. Razz
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »

Hey-you couldn't wait to slap those vids on here as pathetic as they are (except HMR thanks to Al) so pipe down Jack. You don't like my posts and I don't like your junk either-can't take the heat, get the Hell outta the kitchen. Razz

See, it's a ratio thing: AGD's posts are 99% on the spot and, as opposed to your , maybe, 1%. ( or my 20%)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »

ohldsurphrdood is just jealous because Myke's so much younger than him and gets chicks
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »

Some people here really amaze me at times. There was this big excitment over Al being there for the "reunion"(which was damn good in my opinion), but as soon as the first note is sung, out come the boxing gloves and the stupid "Myke Luhv" business.  Roll Eyes

Normally, in these situations, my motto is "don't feed the troll", but in this case I'll ask you to consider the slight possibility that, this being a Beach Boys MB, a few of the posters might be interested in seeing that footage of two of the original Beach Boys sharing the stage for the first time in over twelve years, just as I think some here might be interested in such light as I can throw (and it's not much) on the current situation. I fully understand that, being a troll as opposed to any kind of Beach Boys fan on even a low-grade BlueBoarders level, such things are a complete anathema to you as they divert folk here from your vapid and juvenile splutterings to topics of actual interest.  It's truly a shame that the Male Ego board is but a much-lamented memory: given the rules there - which were, essentially none - my estimate is that you would have lasted roughly half-an-hour. I also lament the absence of an 'ignore' function, as it would save me - and many other posters - from having my eyes sullied by your sub-literate, grade school offerings. I console myself with the knowledge that not only are you several thousand miles away, but also there is no chance that we shall ever meet in person... which, upon momentary reflection, is a mild shame as it deprives me of the opportunity of laughing in your face.

I'm done, rant away.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:39:40 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2011, 03:35:43 PM »

ohldsurphrdood is just jealous because Myke's so much younger than him and gets chicks

...... oh, and how dare I forget, he gets to hang out with Stamos!!!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »

Some people here really amaze me at times. There was this big excitment over Al being there for the "reunion"(which was damn good in my opinion), but as soon as the first note is sung, out come the boxing gloves and the stupid "Myke Luhv" business.  Roll Eyes

Normally, in these situations, my motto is "don't feed the troll", but in this case I'll ask you to consider the slight possibility that, this being a Beach Boys MB, a few of the posters might be interested in seeing that footage of two of the original Beach Boys sharing the stage for the first time in over twelve years, just as I think some here might be interested in such light as I can throw (and it's not much) on the current situation. I fully understand that, being a troll as opposed to any kind of Beach Boys fan on even a low-grade BlueBoarders level, such things are a complete anathema to you as they divert folk here from your vapid and juvenile splutterings to topics of actual interest.  It's truly a shame that the Male Ego board is but a much-lamented memory: given the rules there - which were, essentially none - my estimate is that you would have lasted roughly half-an-hour. I also lament the absence of an 'ignore' function, as it would save me - and many other posters - from having my eyes sullied by your sub-literate, grade school offerings. I console myself with the knowledge that not only are you several thousand miles away, but also there is no chance that we shall ever meet in person... which, upon momentary reflection, is a mild shame as it deprives me of the opportunity of laughing in your face.

I'm done, rant away.  Smiley
As long as it upsets you like it appears to have done, then "mission accomplished". LOL And would LOVE to meet you in person, Andy-be sure to let me know when you come to town-and when you stop laughing you and I will have lots of fun! Evil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2011, 05:08:43 PM »

Ok, why on earth would you hang around on a Beach Boys message board just to get your kicks out of annoying people who are actually fans of the band??

I guess you define the term  "internet Troll", right?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:10:27 PM by Erik H » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »

and I hope and pray that somehow Mike is able to sue you!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »

Normally, in these situations, my motto is "don't feed the troll", but in this case I'll ask you to consider the slight possibility that, this being a Beach Boys MB, a few of the posters might be interested in seeing that footage of two of the original Beach Boys sharing the stage for the first time in over twelve years, just as I think some here might be interested in such light as I can throw (and it's not much) on the current situation. I fully understand that, being a troll as opposed to any kind of Beach Boys fan on even a low-grade BlueBoarders level, such things are a complete anathema to you as they divert folk here from your vapid and juvenile splutterings to topics of actual interest.  It's truly a shame that the Male Ego board is but a much-lamented memory: given the rules there - which were, essentially none - my estimate is that you would have lasted roughly half-an-hour. I also lament the absence of an 'ignore' function, as it would save me - and many other posters - from having my eyes sullied by your sub-literate, grade school offerings. I console myself with the knowledge that not only are you several thousand miles away, but also there is no chance that we shall ever meet in person... which, upon momentary reflection, is a mild shame as it deprives me of the opportunity of laughing in your face.

I'm done, rant away.  Smiley
As long as it upsets you like it appears to have done, then "mission accomplished". LOL And would LOVE to meet you in person, Andy-be sure to let me know when you come to town-and when you stop laughing you and I will have lots of fun! Evil

rule 6, anyone?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,122.0.html

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2011, 05:22:08 PM »

and I hope and pray that somehow Mike is able to sue you!
Why not? He's sued everyone else. LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx